Increasing Security with Encrypted Local Files Drive

Hi, 

I want to improve security on a Windows laptop that has Evernote installed to reduce the exposure of my information if the laptop is stolen.  The best approach would be whole disk encryption but the machine is so old and slow that I don't want to slow it further. 

One thing I've done is used the Evernote Local Files option to store Evernote files on a VeraCrypt encrypted volume.  That will protect information controlled by that option but I see that some information is stored in other locations on my C: drive.  It's not clear what is stored where and so I don't know what is protected and what isn't.  

Can anyone tell me how effective this approach is?  Specifically what information is controlled by the Local Files option and what is stored on C:?  

Thanks, 
Mike 
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, mikea144 said:

One thing I've done is used the Evernote Local Files option to store Evernote files on a VeraCrypt encrypted volume.

Hi.  Who or what are "Evernote Local Files" and how did you store them on an external volume? 

Evernote 6.25 has a Local Notebooks feature which simply means that a notebook is created that is part of your main database,  but is not synced to the server.  If you open Evernote and go to Tools > Options > General you will be able to verify where (all) your notes are stored.  If you moved that location to an encrypted volume,  then all your local Evernote data is safe.

In version 10 however there is no such feature* so you may want to consider some alternative storage,  saving a link to the file in Evernote.  v10 has a temporary database which, unless you opt to retain it for offline working, will be cleared on exiting the app.  The database is not available to the user or other applications and third-party encryption is not supported.  Your 'other' option would be to attach encrypted files to your notes.

Hope that helps...

*Convert local notebooks

• Like 1

gazumped,

I used the option "Evernote Local files" on the Evernote General tab which apparently specifies the location of some local files.  It takes a path that by default is set to something like "C:\Users\Mike\Evernote".  

There is no external volume involved.  I use the VeraCrypt feature to create an encrypted pseudo-drive that has a drive letter (I use P: for private) assigned to it.  The encrypted information is stored in a big file that I can put anywhere on my 😄 drive.  When I start the PC I enter the password that allows P: to be accessed.  The "Evernote Local files" option is set to "P:\Users\Mike\Evernote".  If someone starts my PC or removes the hard drive and views it they can't view anything on P: if they don't know the password.  

When I poke around looking for Evernote files I see lots of them in P:\Users\Mike\Evernote and also at C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\LocalStorage, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\LocalLow, and C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming, and there may be others.  My question is if the various files on 😄 contain notes or portions of notes that could allow someone to view information in my notes.  

Mike

• Level 5

As I know Windows, there is plainly no guarantee it will not dump data left and right. It has caches, temp(orary) files, all that stuff.

Usually apps take care to clean that out when closed, so make sure you really quit (ctrl-q) the app when leaving it - not just close the window by clicking the X - symbol.

The safeguarding in itself by using a virtual drive encrypted with VeraCrypt should protect your local notebook once dismounted - but nobody can tell what Windows is doing in the background.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, mikea144 said:

Can anyone tell me how effective this approach is?  Specifically what information is controlled by the Local Files option and what is stored on C:?  

You need to be sure that the folder structure containing your .exb file is on that P drive (Tools - Options - General).  This is the folder that contains your data base and the attachments folder which sometimes contains remnants of files not fully closed.  Not sure about what is actually left in all the roaming folders.  And be sure to dismount the P drive when you leave your machine.

CalS,

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for. I can't check it now but when I get back I'll make sure the file and folder you mention is on the P: drive. When I leave the machine I log out so P: has to be reconnected when it's turned back on.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, mikea144 said:

CalS,

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for. I can't check it now but when I get back I'll make sure the file and folder you mention is on the P: drive. When I leave the machine I log out so P: has to be reconnected when it's turned back on.

Mike

You are welcome.