Default to start new notes on Title

Go to solution Solved by Ryq G,

Perhaps there is a way to do this.  If not a suggestion.  When I start a new note the cursor is in the body and I need to move it up tot hte title to change that.  Can this be changed?  On a Mac, it means removing a hand from the keyboard, finding the mouse and moving the cursor.   I'd like to type the title then move on to the body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ryq G said:

On a Mac, it means removing a hand from the keyboard, finding the mouse and moving the cursor.  

There has been quite alot of discussion of this together with the auto population of the note title with the beginning of the main text. Opinion is divided.

To avoid using the mouse shift + tab  takes you from the top of the note content to the title field.

• Thanks 2

Yes, that would be great. I always name my notes first, and needing one extra click all the time does get a bit annoying.

(Especially if the phone app loads a bit slow: I often click into the title field, and the curser "jumps" back into the note-field just when I want to start typing my note-title.) 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a related issue that might solve the problem discussed above: why doesn't Evernote offer the option to automatically generate a title from the note's content (like Apple Notes does, for example)? So for example the first word in the first line or the first 3 words, or sentence - this also works for handwritten note in Apple notes. Then one would only need to correct the title in cases where one would be dissatisfied with the automatic suggestion. Or did I miss that this can be enabled on Evernote?

It increases the chance you will forget to name it.

In just about every computer program if you are creating a document you name it first.  These are standards and to change that standard/mindset, there needs to be a very good reason.

If you enter a room, you know the light switch will be at about shoulder height on the side of the opening.  You've moved the switch to ankle height. \

Poems, books and works of art sometimes are named afterwards. but there is at least a title for a document

13 hours ago, Ryq G said:

It increases the chance you will forget to name it.

In just about every computer program if you are creating a document you name it first.  These are standards and to change that standard/mindset, there needs to be a very good reason.

If you enter a room, you know the light switch will be at about shoulder height on the side of the opening.  You've moved the switch to ankle height. \

Poems, books and works of art sometimes are named afterwards. but there is at least a title for a document

When taking a quick note on my mobile, I don't have the time to add a title and I'm glad I can add the essential data immediately...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Ryq G A note is no file. A file needs a name, and if you don’t change the default, it may overwrite an existing one.

A note in EN is identified by a singular code - there is no risk of overwriting because the identifier is unique.

You can always add a title later, it won’t change the notes identifier.

Probably we users are split between „first contenters“ and „first titlers“. However this is set, part of EN users will not agree with the choice.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 3:25 AM, Mike P said:

To avoid using the mouse shift + tab  takes you from the top of the note content to the title field.

This is the solution! Thanks so much. At least until Evernote provides a preference.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...