Adding tag to note - doesn't find different version of tag

I have a lot of tags. Tags are the main way I organize my research in Evernote.

I have a Language: Russian tag and I have a Russia tag. I used to start typing Rus and all the tags with Russia would pop up. But now only Russia shows up and not Language: Russian.

Also I have a lot of tags that start with Source: [name of source] and when I want to tag a source I don't think about typing Source: to get them all to pop up because I'm thinking about the source not that it is a source. If I start typing Ancestry nothing shows up but if I type Source: Ancestry it appears.

This is really not efficient! Is the colon the problem or is this just one more thing that isn't available right now and might be available later.

I'm using the Mac Desktop app.

• Level 5

Just tried it in the iOS client:

In the search window only a selection of tags and notebooks will show. There the proposals are limited to a maximum of 3, that is how that window works. When executed, all matching notes are found. For the search window it works better when the filters are used.

When trying to add a tag, all tags that contain the string appear in the tag selection window - even if that string is right in the middle of a tag.

Maybe you could show exactly what you are doing here, like with a screenshot.

Or try support to help on this question.

I'm probably repeating some if what @PinkElephanthas said. There are multiple ways of adding tags to a note. The two main ways, if you want to type and search for the the tag are:

• Start typing the tag in the tag field at the bottom of the note. It will only list those tags that start with the characters typed
  • Use the edit tags menu (alt-ctr-T on windows). This gives a "true" search for the characters addded in to the search field
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, museumgirlknitz said:

Is the colon the problem

Double disclosure - I'm not using Apple products or v10;  but I always understood that tags didn't like spaces - which you have in your example. And Evernote tends to use ":" colons as control characters as in tag:source.  Have you considered trying S_Ancestry S_<name> etc for your tags?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I figured it out. I needed to make Ancestry a sub-category of Sources. So now when adding a tag, if I start typing Ancestry it will so up. I guess it has to do with the tag hierarchy structure. Which makes total sense.

I was slow coming to the tags game for organizing my stuff. But I know a lot of people use them. I think it is interesting that there isn't a lot of info on the internet or videos on YouTube from Evernote or from other sources about tags and the new tag structure. I spend the majority of last night trying to figure this out and only was finally successful because one of my tags just happened to have a few sub-categories and a little arrow that dropdown. When you google "tag subcategories Evernote" the only things that show up is super old discussion.evernote threads about nesting folders from 2011 or discussion on subcategories in notebooks from 2015/2016. 

Ok new problem...

If I just move the sources as subcategory under the tag Sources, then if I need to be reminded of what sources I've already made tags... I have to have Source in the sub-cat tag as well. Why can't it just search as I'm typing and throw up a list so I can pick from. 

@PinkElephant here is a screenshot video

Does that make sense?

On 5/27/2021 at 2:50 AM, Mike P said:

Start typing the tag in the tag field at the bottom of the note. It will only list those tags that start with the characters typed

This is a frustration - would be nice if it pulled up ALL tags with a match to characters. 

15 minutes ago, buckethead said:

would be nice if it pulled up ALL tags with a match to characters. 

I actually disagree. I remember the beginning of my tags so I don't want the list clogged up with tags that just contain those letters in random places. I use heavily nested tags so I would never have some compound tag e.g. finace-bank where I might want to type in "bank". Mine would be structured with bank as a child tag of finance.

As I explained, there is always the edit tags menu if you do want a true search ie one that will match all the characters wherever they are in the tag.

@MikeP can you explain better the edit tags menu and how you use it? It may be staring right now at me and I don't know what I'm looking at. I"m on a Mac and using the most recent version.

And I do understand how some people wouldn't want the tags to pop up like I'd like. But since I use my tags a bibliographic index so that I can sort notes into larger subject areas when looking for all my research on a particular subject, it would be helpful if when I started typing the tag it would popup from lots of choices to narrower and narrower. Also I'd love if would let me type addresses and then show me all the sub categories as well. Or if I type County, it would show all the tags with the word County even if County is the second word in the tag. I tried using no space and using underscore between words but it is still not seeing anything but the first letter of the tag. And this just for when I'm tagging notes before filing them.

I'll deal. I'm just tagging hundreds of notes right now that I've scanned in. I was putting it off for Evernote to roll out some new stuff. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, museumgirlknitz said:

can you explain better the edit tags menu and how you use it?

You access the menu from note -> edit tags or a keyboard shortcut (alt+ctrl+T on windows). Although it says edit tags you can use it to add tags as well. The menu has a search bar which you can type into.

image.png.73d7a47e1657b24e1919facdb05a31ec.png

The tags  which are found are shown within their hirarchy - which is a feature that you will either love or hate! One advantage is that you can easily add some or all of the parent tags if you want to. The disadvantage is that the list can be very long and complex. You can select tags by clicking them with the mouse. You can move through them with the arrow keys or tab but I haven't found a way of selecting the tag with the keyboard.

Personally I normally drag and drop tags from the sidebar onto the note in the note list. Common tags I can normally remember and just type in the tag field at the end of the note.

image.png.2eae9b7bb0f5fdcde03de1b923fd7a88.png

Another useful trick is to start tags with a "special character". So for example I have a group of tags that start with a $. So when I type in $ at the bottom I get the list of all the relevant tags

image.png.ba60406852fe40616fb1f2573dbbb2e3.png

Hope that helps a bit.

@MikeP Thank you. This makes complete sense and now I see what you mean. I love the drag and drop feature but I don't seem to have that option on the Mac version. ☹️

And yes I can see that letters in the middle of tags pop up in the edit menu search function. Wish it worked that that on the add tag at the bottom of the note.

I love the drag and drop feature but I don't seem to have that option on the Mac version. ☹️

Check you have the most recent version. I seem to remember it was missing from earlier versions of V10. You can also drag the note to the tag if that helps. It also works on teh web version of EN.

Wish it worked that that on the add tag at the bottom of the note.

I'm actually glad it doesn't! I tend to remember how my tags start and I don't want random tags popping up that happen to have those tags somewhere in the middle. My hierarchy insures I don't have tags like finance-bank because I have a parent tag of finance underneath which is a child tag of bank.

• Like 2