Moved to the new Windows version and I have some questions

So far, I cannot say I like this version over the older versions, I hope some answers will change my mind.

I'm running in to a few issues that I cannot figure out, if someone doesn't mind helping me?

1. How do you drag and drop on a tag now? I have quite a few documents that I just drag on to the tag and it would add it to Evernote. Any suggestions?

2. Where do I create a watched folder? In previous versions, I set that up in the settings on the menu bar. I cannot find that option now.

3. When I select a tag, click create new note, it resets my view back to the notebook. That's a pain since I have to click on the tag again to add another note, it just doesn't stay on the tag I've been working on. I find that it switches every time I create a new note.

4. Is there a way to have it focus on the title on a new note?

5. Again, in the previous version I could set the pdfs not to display in the note, now it's displaying all 20 pdfs in it's glorious number of 14000 pages. Can this be set to default to not display pdfs inline?

Thanks all for the assist!

Regarding question 2: The import folders functionality was removed with the release of the "improved" version 10 of Evernote. Evernote has been saying for several months now that this functionality is coming back "soon".

I'm using Evernote legacy version instead so can't help with the other questions.

16 hours ago, TechGuy said:

1. How do you drag and drop on a tag now?

Provided you have an up to date version you can drag a note from the note list onto the tag in the sidebar. You can also drag a tag onto the note in the note list.

4. Is there a way to have it focus on the title on a new note?

No. It's a much requested feature but there are also many people who like it as it is! Shift - tab takes you to the title

On 5/22/2021 at 12:46 AM, TechGuy said:

3. When I select a tag, click create new note, it resets my view back to the notebook. That's a pain since I have to click on the tag again to add another note, it just doesn't stay on the tag I've been working on. I find that it switches every time I create a new note.

For me it seems to revert to the "Notes" view (aka all notes). The problem with your request, which is perfectly reasonable, is that the results of searches are not dynamic. In other words they don't automatically refresh when something changes. Therefore your search would not contain the new note until you had refreshed it anyway. They are supposed to be working on this so perhaps the behaviour of new notes will change then.

Until then, as I'm sure you are aware, the easiest way to refilter on the tag is to click on the arrow to the right of the tag at the bottom of the note and choose "Filter by tag".

Personally I'm not a great fan of new notes being populated with the current search tag(s). It was an option in the legacy and I would prefer it still to be an option.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going back to the previous version. The new version just wasn't usable to me. If they make it where I cannot use a previous version, I'll reevaluate then I suppose.

What I do not understand, why release a new product that has less features than the previous version? I haven't seen anything this new version will do that the old version would not.

26 minutes ago, TechGuy said:

I ended up going back to the previous version. The new version just wasn't usable to me. If they make it where I cannot use a previous version, I'll reevaluate then I suppose.

What I do not understand, why release a new product that has less features than the previous version? I haven't seen anything this new version will do that the old version would not.

A very important one is the dark theme on windows, I'm very happy with that !

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

A very important one is the dark theme on windows, I'm very happy with that !

Not sure I can justify a cosmetic addition when they take out so many important features that existed previously.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TechGuy said:

Not sure I can justify a cosmetic addition when they take out so many important features that existed previously.

It was a very popular feature request: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/127251-dark-mode-for-windows/

Dark mode isn't a cosmetic addition, it is an eye saver. Really feeling eye strain on legacy EN for windows  with all that white blaring at me.

22 hours ago, TechGuy said:

I haven't seen anything this new version will do that the old version would not.

I just have seen in EN 10.15 a very nice feature that the old version doesn't have: Tasks !  This is probably one of the most desired features ever. It's a real game changer 😃 It seems that EN sometimes listens to their users after all...

EN is back on track !

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is already now (which is after 9 months from the initial release) a number of new functions unknown to the old app.

Then there is a number of functions the old app has (still available for desktop as legacy client).

So currently it is the full feature set of legacy plus the full feature set of v10, and this is more than each version has individually.

The interesting question is what will happen when legacy stops working one day ? Apart from those features that were officially communicated by EN in the release notes of v10 to be deprecated, nobody knows about the feature set of v10 then. To talk about it today is pure speculation.

What we can already see is that v10 is evolving, fast with a monthly release schedule unheard of in the per-v10-Setup and by adding new features like Home and Tasks. I have no problem to lean back and watch it happening.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I hope you understand what EN OCR does correctly: It makes an OCR on the server, to build a search index. It will OCR documents, in case of pictures only text found in jpg and png, not in pdf pictures. To do this there is an input queue, if it is full, OCR operation may take some minutes or even hours.

It then takes what it found, and build a search index from it. If there is MickeyMouse written in one of the picture you took at DisneyWorld, it will find the note containing this picture when you search for "Mick...".-

What it will not do is create a plain text from the OCRed text, that you can copy and reuse. This ability is not part of the EN OCR.

You can say "EN OCR is not correctly working" when you search and don't find a note that has that text pictured (and readable, there are restrictions in what type of text will be read. If it is at an angle, it may not be read, for example). Is this what you experience ?