Need help understanding how to save searches (particularly for tags)

I'm not finding the process for saving tag searches at all intuitive. Hoping the community here can help me out.

Ultimately, my goal is to save a compound tag search to my shortcuts. I can't figure out how to do this.

If I want to save a tag search, it appears that I have to follow a certain path to be able to do so, but I'm not clear exactly what that path is. Here's what I'm experiencing (v10.13.4 on Mac):

Scenario 1:

If I select a single tag from the tag list, it pulls up the group of tags, and I don't have the option to save the search (seems Evernote feels that the tag list is enough of a saved search?):

image.thumb.png.2f86dd7e2856bd039a972690501c89ca.png

Scenario 2:

If I do a search for a single tag from the search box, I *DO* have the option to save the search:

image.thumb.png.1b2a96ab33d34c541e19715025f0ae6c.png

Scenario 3:

If I do a compound tag search, sometimes I get the option to save the search, and sometimes I don't. But, I don't know what I did differently (other than pull different tags) to allow me to have the option to save the search, or not. (EDIT: Posting this helped me to figure it out....you HAVE to trigger the primary tag search from the left search bar in order to save the search. If you do that, you can add 2ndary tags/filters and then you can save the search. This is very unintuitive if you ask me).

3a: Compound tag search with the option to save the search:

image.thumb.png.2eb554a09912b5a295040f672bb828fc.png

3b: Compound tag search with NO option to save the search (done 1 minute after clearing the search above):

image.thumb.png.9238771cdbd0d3a83db614249aff35b2.png

Can anyone help me understand what is going on, and how I make it so that I can save a compound tag search every single time? TIA.

EDIT: UPDATE WITH SOLUTION:

If you do your first search from the left hand sidebar, then add the 2nd tag as a filter, you can save the search:

image.thumb.png.10961aa316dfa0218a62d3d17f5df1eb.png

Does anyone else find this very confusing? In my opinion, you should be able to run scenario 3B and be able to save the search.

38 minutes ago, Stacey said:

I'm not finding the process for saving tag searches at all intuitive.

There is now a really big distinction between filtering and searching which is not always very helpful to the user. Bottom line is that you cannot save filters so you must have pressed enter after typing something in the search bar in order to save it. I cannot recall ever having had a problem with just typing in the advanced search syntax tag:tag1 tag:tag2 (your scenario 3).

The other hack is to search for *. This brings up all your notes. Then filter using the filter menu. Becasue you started as a search you can then save the search

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

The other hack is to search for *. This brings up all your notes. Then filter using the filter menu. Becasue you started as a search you can then save the search

This has the promise to be a great workaround...just tested it though, and it only brought up 170 or 224 notes in my test account. Do you think the difference (54 notes) could be due to shared notebooks?

1 minute ago, Stacey said:

This has the promise to be a great workaround...just tested it though, and it only brought up 170 or 224 notes in my test account. Do you think the difference (54 notes) could be due to shared notebooks?

Interesting. I  get the same number of notes in "Notes" in the sidebar, the total of all my notebooks added together and searching for *. I have shared notebooks but I am the owner of all of them so that could explain it. intitle:* also works for me.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Interesting. I  get the same number of notes in "Notes" in the sidebar, the total of all my notebooks added together and searching for *. I have shared notebooks but I am the owner of all of them so that could explain it. intitle:* also works for me.

intitle:* works better for me – it got me 231 found notes, with 231 in the account (its grown from 224 which was this mornings count). 

* still gets me 177 of 231. I do have shared notebooks in this account that this account is *not* the owner of. But, I can't make the math work on those note counts. Going to give up and just use initle:*. Thanks for that tip!

• Like 1