What's the Difference between WEB & APP Links?

When working on a Note, using EN-Web (very latest version) on my Win10 PC using Chrome browser... I noticed the 3-dot-elipses menu in the top right corner. One of the options there is 'Copy Internal Link' that then has a further 2x options to select from 'Copy app link' or 'Copy web link'

I generated both link-types as a test, and inserted in the same note, but there was NO difference when clicking the different links, except the 'web link' resulted in a new tab being opened on my browser! So what is the difference between them? What is their intended use?

WhatThe.png

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Copy app link' or 'Copy web link'

Did you look at the links themselves; they are quite different

The format is so the "app link" can open the app client itself, with the note (evernote:///view/)
                         so the "web link" can open a browser window, with the note (www.ecernote.com...)

Of course "can" may be adjusted on clicking as required by Evernote

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did you look at the links themselves; they are quite different

Yes I did...but I forgot to mention it.  The link structure (for the same note) is the same as you showed e.g.:

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

the "app link" can open the app client itself

That's what I expected, hoped, would happen... to have the Note open using the EN-Windows desktop app, but no, not the case!  Is this feature/function not yet fully operational? Is it because my desktop EN app is legacy v6.25?  Ultimately I was hoping I could generate a link to a note, that when pasted in another desktop or web enabled app, i.e. Notion, Asana etc would open the Note in EN-Windows.  My old solution for this no longer works...sera sera I guess, cheers.

3 hours ago, RavBoy said:

That's what I expected, hoped, would happen... to have the Note open using the EN-Windows desktop app, but no, not the case!  Is this feature/function not yet fully operational?

EN has got themselves into a complete mess over this! As I understand it the following happens:

• Desktop:
    • app link opens in desktop app
    • web link opens in web app
  • Web
    • app link opens in web app
    • web link opens in web app

I believe the situation is no better on mobile (I'm not currently using V10 on mobile apps)

For me a better situation would be that there is one sort of link and it opens automatically in whatever app you are using. 

3 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Ultimately I was hoping I could generate a link to a note, that when pasted in another desktop or web enabled app, i.e. Notion, Asana etc would open the Note in EN-Windows. 

This already seems to work. It only seems to be app links within EN web that stay in EN web (which I personally  think is how it should be) I did the following:

• Export a note containing an app link as an html document
  • open that html document in chrome
  • Click on the link and it asks me where I want to open the note 
  • Choose desktop and click the box for always do this
  • Note opens in the desktop app

Incidentally you can also create windows desktop shortcuts to specific notes by creating a windows shortcut and pasting in the app style link into the location field.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Mike P said:

For me a better situation would be that there is one sort of link and it opens automatically in whatever app you are using.

I use/work from my desktop most of the time, and what I'm loving about the 'Notion' App, which has a client for all platforms web/desktop/app etc, is that if you want to create a link that opens a Notion note/page on the Notion desktop (v web app) specifically, they advise to just swap out 'https' in the URL link to 'notion' and voila... that would be nice if EN could do that.

17 hours ago, Mike P said:

I did the following:

• Export a note .... etc

I did exactly as you advised... (see image)

1- I generated all link types, and pasted into the note, whilst using EN-Win, exported and clicked all link types but no joy, in so much as that no link type opened the Note in EN-Windows... which is what I'm trying to achieve! So I was only able to successfully complete the first 2 of your 5-steps, as Step#3 did not appear on my PC re 'where to open note' it just went straight to the destination!?

2- Closed EN-Win, and opened the same Note in EN-Web then added the 2 links types EN web offers and pasted to the note ...at this point EN-Web does not offer/or I could not find, a way to export a single Note...so I closed EN-Web and back to EN-Windows... exported and followed your steps but again no link opened the note in EN Windows... some links opened a dumb copy whereas others opened inside the EN-Web app (which is nicer/preferred).  Plus I noticed that in EN Web the note now had a icon indicating it was being shared (again see images) so no way to create an APP-Link that indeed opens the EN-app on desktop...that I can see!

1c.png

1d.png

*UPDATE* & EDIT

Ok so I did get this to work, which was the same as my old approach, and does not require any exporting of Notes, so MikeP 1st 2 steps!  I tested by pasting all the links into a Task on the online web-app 'Asana' and they worked great to open the EN Note on EN-desktop instead of EN-Web. But the 1st time I was asked where to open the links - to which i said on EN desktop windows etc.

However for it work-  I had to first revert the EN Web Client to the 'Classic Version' (old interface) via EN-Web account settings... and then links #1, #4, plus the two links generated from the new EN Web interface and inserted (as pictured above), did indeed open the note on EN-Windows, and as a separate window...nice!

BUT...as soon as I changed the EN-Web client/interface back to the new/latest/greatest version... everything stopped working!!!  Should it be that hard?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RavBoy said:

and does not require any exporting of Notes, so MikeP 1st 2 steps! 

The exporting of the note was simply to get the note into an html document ie not in EN web as a proof of concept.