Color tags to identify notes

mr-babilo

Idea

5 replies to this idea

2 minutes ago, mr-babilo said:

It would be great if we can use color tags to identify the notes visually

This is a feature in the legacy version but has not made it though (yet?) to V10. 

You might be interested to know that V10 does generally render emojis correctly so I draw attention to certain tags by including an emoji (normally symbols and coloured shapes not smiley faces!) It works well unless you use the advanced search syntax alot where you need to type the tag name and get it completely correct

image.png.9917a3baf3bb2be42e3ef7cc948e4e15.png

9 minutes ago, mr-babilo said:

With possibility to search notes by color

I see your point but the tag system is so flexible and allows you to group tags into a hierarchy I'm not sure it would be at the top of my request list. It would give you another way of grouping tags together independent of the tag hierarchy which is kind of nice but can be achieved through naming conventions (e.g I have some special tags which begin with $, + or .) or just having an extra tag e.g "green".

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

This is a feature in the legacy version but has not made it though (yet?) to V10. 

You might be interested to know that V10 does generally render emojis correctly so I draw attention to certain tags by including an emoji (normally symbols and coloured shapes not smiley faces!) It works well unless you use the advanced search syntax alot where you need to type the tag name and get it completely correct

image.png.9917a3baf3bb2be42e3ef7cc948e4e15.png

I see your point but the tag system is so flexible and allows you to group tags into a hierarchy I'm not sure it would be at the top of my request list. It would give you another way of grouping tags together independent of the tag hierarchy which is kind of nice but can be achieved through naming conventions (e.g I have some special tags which begin with $, + or .) or just having an extra tag e.g "green".

Rather, I was thinking the ability to easily assign colors to notes. The emojis in the tags actually work but they are not currently easy to use (I didn't even know this possibility, thanks for the info). The color gives immediate visual information to the user.

This does not seem incompatible with the current tagging system if the user can assign a tag to each color: orange = "to do"; green = "done"; red = "important" ... and it's not much different than assigning an emoji to a tag.

PLUGINS_WORDPRESS_-_Evernote_pdf__1_page_.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

You can of course add emojis to the title as well

Hello Mike,

Yes, you can add emoticons, but you have to juggle copy and paste. These emoticons provide visual information, but have no semantic value! They are not simply associated with tags. You cannot do related research on emoticons.

I see check icons on your screenshot: can you do a simple search on all the notes associated with this emoticon? Or have you, in addition, associated a specific tag to each of the notes?

In this case, you must have:
1- Copy and paste an emoticon in each note?
2- Create a "check" tag for each one, in order to be able to search for the notes associated with this tag?
There won't be an easy way to change this emoticon for all affected notes, am I correct?

What I propose is to easily associate a visual info (4 or 5 different colors or why not an emoticon) with a semantic tag on which to search. This search can be done either on the tag or on the visual info.

image_png_fa8f6924cbcaf837a9db5875770087ce.jpg

37 minutes ago, mr-babilo said:

You cannot do related research on emoticons.

You can normally search for emojis in the same way as any other character. However intitle: doesn't seem to work which is annoying but not a problem if you only put them in the title anyway. I normally only really use them to draw visual attention to a note. I find things mainly using my tagging system 

The checkmarks are something different (in beta).

In windows there is an emoji keyboard which works reasonably well so I don't need to copy and paste very much