Improvements to HTML export (relative path and embedded images)

Pere

Idea

Today I exported a note to html, in order to share it with a colleague. It didn't work well.

The paths to the images were absolute. So, my colleague could not see the images when opened the html file in his computer. The solution was to edit the html and change all the paths from absolute to relative. 

A cleaner solution would be to embed the images within the html itself. Pandoc does this very well, using the --self-contained option. Maybe you could learn from pandoc. This way, a single html file would contain everything.

You may wonder why I did not share the link to the note. Well, shared links, which point to a web page with the note, don't work well if the document has large tables, as the resulting page has wide margins and, thus, large tables don't fit well (they need to be scrolled).

• Like 2

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't think Evernote designed the HTML export option as a way to share notes - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557

Using Evernote for Mac or Windows, you can export a copy of any note and save it to your computer. You can choose to save your notes as an Evernote XML file (.enex) or as HTML files (.html). To export notes quickly, you can export entire notebooks. This is useful for moving content from one Evernote account to another.

It's not mentioned in the 'share' help either - Share notes

If your colleague uses Evernote an ENEX export would allow them to import the note to their own account,  or copying and pasting the content into a word processing file would allow you to share that file.  You could also paste shared links into your note to that it's possible to open files stored in a cloud account via the note.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Pere said:

A cleaner solution would be to embed the images within the html itself.

I added my vote for relative instead of absolute paths

I don't want my images embedded
I prefer to keep my images as separate entities along with the other attachment files

>>The solution was to edit the html and change all the paths from absolute to relative. 
Thanks for sharing a working solution