Are there formatting features only available in Premium?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I am considering converting from OneNote to Evernote. I've been able to replicate my daily routine well enough but I can't format things the way that I want to. Does the premium version have enhancements to the formatting (specifically the ability to reduce the line spacing, I can reduce font size but I can't get the text more condensed on the page so I can't see as much on the screen as I'd like)? 

The Evernote website lacks details like this and I won't make the switch without better formatting control than what the free version has so I'm hoping to find details about what I can and can't do formatting wise with an upgrade.

Edit: I can change from font 16 to 12 or even 10 and that does reduce the line height but not quite enough and it still doesn't look quite right. I'd really like a full word process rich text editor like ms word or google docs in it. So to clarify the question, is that something that comes with Premium or is formatting still the same as the free version?

• Level 5*
  • Solution
On 5/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, noisten.js said:

is that something that comes with Premium or is formatting still the same as the free version?

Hi.  There's nothing more in the paid version - but you already quoted the answer;  create your note in GDocs or Word and save to searchable PDF.  Attach both files to a note.  You'll be able to see the body of the note on some devices,  and if you become a subscriber the content will be fully searchable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The basic coding of EN is sort of HTML. This was developed to bring text to a web site on all kind of devices, not for fancy formatting.

So if you want a feature rich editing, you need to look elsewhere. I use a word processor or even a page layout program if I want formatting control. The resulting files can be embedded into a note, to make them approachable and to add more information about the file, that must not be added to the file itself.

Say you have a conference preparation: You can make a project note, with all the project details, and attach the neatly layouted conference invitation Flyer right into the note, for easy reference. But if you try to create the flyer in EN, you would pick the wrong tool.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

The basic coding of EN is sort of HTML. This was developed to bring text to a web site on all kind of devices, not for fancy formatting.

So if you want a feature rich editing, you need to look elsewhere. I use a word processor or even a page layout program if I want formatting control. The resulting files can be embedded into a note, to make them approachable and to add more information about the file, that must not be added to the file itself.

Say you have a conference preparation: You can make a project note, with all the project details, and attach the neatly layouted conference invitation Flyer right into the note, for easy reference. But if you try to create the flyer in EN, you would pick the wrong tool.

I'm making a bulleted list, nothing as fancy as a "Conference Invitation Flyer". That would be silly for me to try to use Evernote for that since I have software applications designed specifically for that type of activity. What I wanted (and can't do even though HTML does support line-height) is to change the distance between lines in a list. I did figure out on my own that Evernote doesn't support a wide range of text editing capabilities, really nothing beyond a narrow range, in any version of the product. I still bought a membership for a year because while the aesthetics may not be what I want; it is a viable option for me to work around some O365 enterprise settings. Apart from very limited editing and organizing capabilities the tool will be "good enough" for what I need it for and OneNote handle's the rest very well.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  There's nothing more in the paid version ...

Thank you very much that's exactly what I needed to know; whether or not the paid version came with any additional capabilities.

Edited by noisten.js
grammar correction
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

This is incorrect.  The "basic coding" you're referring to is .enml. That stands for Evernote Markup Language. 

.ENML currently has:

• ALMOST-FULL support for the majority of html <tags> and 
  • FULL support for every css selector, property, and value.

Evernote was designed explicitly to save and render fancy formatting.

It's just that they block the user from being able to use the full potential of the language itself.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Theday1smine said:

This is flat out incorrect, false information.  The "basic coding" of Evernote is .enml.

Enml documentation at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php   
I agree with "sort of html"

On a Mac with Evernote Legacy; each note has a content.enml file that can be edited with a text editor

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Theday1smine I apologize for my less than totally accurate description of what EN does, and look forward to your magic abilities curving and bending ENML code to shapes never dreamed of.

We earthlings among the users continue to do what we pay for: Use a note taking app, free of fancy formatting, limited by evil developers to ever so dull visuals.