Two Factor Setup - Make Clear APPS other than Google Authenticator can be used

Your 2 factor setup process makes it appear that Google Authenticator is the only option. Google authenticator is not so secure because one cannot use fingerprint biometrics or other means to secure it in the event the phone or other device get lost. The help file topic makes clear that other APPS can be used; but not the actual setup process in the user account...

Please make the setup process clear that other APPS such as Authy, Lastpass Authenticator, etc. can be used.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The relevant help article is clearly talking about "the preferred authenticator app", without any reference to the Google authenticator.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314238-Set-up-two-step-verification

Probably the text strings that tell about the Google authenticator are coded into the app, and harder to remove than text on the help database. Yes, this should be adapted as well.

Have you issued a support ticket about it ?

• Like 1

Do other apps actually work? Are you actually using another authenticator app than the Google app? (I don't have one installed at the moment, so I didn't try it myself.)

I have two-factor-authentication activated via SMS, because I don't use the Google app. I just looked into my settings this moment and could only choose between SMS and Google. There was a link to the google-app in the app-store and no reference what-so-ever to any other app. It wouldn't cross my mind to scan the QR-code I am supposed to scan with the google app with another app just to see what happens. So if this does work, yeah, this should probably be changed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, at least Microsoft Authenticator and 1Password are working fine for me This is no surprise, the algorithm is known. If correctly initialized any proper authenticator app will work.

I am planning to switch to Authy, because it works in a separate app over several devices.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Edit: Authy works as well, no problem in generating 2FA codes.

It is a beautiful, lightweight app that allows to create 2FA codes on several platforms. No more searching for „that“ phone on which the app is running.

This is pretty standard on all websites though, I've noticed. They always say Google Authenticator and I had to just try it to learn any 2FA will work. 

• Level 5

It may be like this, but it is hardly best practice.

When you set up 2FA, the system dialogue is full of this wrong "Google" authenticator wording as well. IMHO not very professional, especially on a security setting.