Is evernote premium really limited to only 1000 notebooks?

That's pretty low! Also it is pretty bad that there are no sub-categories for me. I save very diverse stuff, I will need much more than 1000 notebooks... Yea idea is to use tags and link documents together, but for my needs I need hiearchy and also and more notebooks for sure! I started to using this since awhile, because I have so many bookmarks that I can't even find existing folders and there is no ctrl+f when adding bookmarks in any browser "I read a lot!"... But this doesn't work either :( I would suppose you would get more than 1000 on premium, but no I guess... If I Am gonna pay for notes, I would expect this to be better... Probably okay for most people, but you get 1000 already with free acc also, so...

• Level 5

You are BASIC and doing philosophy about 1.000 Notebooks not being enough … will take a while to reach that with 60MB monthly upload 😉

First the notebook is NOT the main organizational feature of EN. Even more so on Business accounts.

In Business you define per Notebook to which Spaces it belongs - this means which groups of employees have access.

Let us assume you do one notebook per customer. Then your admin has to redefine the Spaces each time you win a new customer, because you need to assign a new „customer 123“-notebook to several spaces. Pretty obvious this makes no sense.

Thus you have a notebook „Customers“, in which you use tags and naming rules. Or you make a notebook National and one Export, etc. But you don’t inflate your notebooks, you keep it pretty flat. 

You don’t do one notebook for each project. You do one notebook „Projects“, or maybe one „Projects Department X“. Again it is important the structure is sort of static - else you start redefining access with each new project started.

And so on …

If you or anybody want to start organizing a company with EN Business, IMHO one should put up some budget to get an EN consultant working with him to set it up. Because it saves rapidly much more than what the consultant will charge. The above examples show as well there is a lot of work to do when an EN Business structure was set up the wrong way, and needs to be corrected later on. If this happens when you want to create your 1.001st notebook, it is rather late to find out.

• Like 1

Yeah point is I will reach that point at some point and then I will be completely f'ed... Yeah I guess, 1000 is really low for my needs. Which is a problem. Also I will run pretty quickly out of tags, I have a lot of diverse stuff and to be able to find them, at any point later on it takes a lot of tags. Gotta find some other solution :(

• Level 5

Oh boy - you have 100.000 tags to spend. Will take a while, be assured ! And you can create this beautiful deep, multilayered structure with tags. No limit how deep you can make the tag structure, just don’t get lost.

In general: If you don’t want to follow the way EN is structured in how you organize your information, then it is good to find out about it now and not (much) later. 

Because then EN is not the right tool for you, and you better start looking elsewhere. 

If my only tool is a hammer, all of my tasks suddenly look like a nail“ is no approach to reach excellent results.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Just for perspective I've used Evernote for 12(ish) years and currently have 54,000 notes. A year or so ago that was still on the basis of 97% of my notes being in one huge notebook and I had about 5 notebooks in total.  A while ago I decided to get much more granular,  and started adding a notebook per (important) topic - I'm up to 300 or so so notebooks now,  and I don't anticipate getting beyond 400.  It's possible to operate within the apps limits,  but if that doesn't suit your work style,  better to look elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, empleat said:

That's pretty low! Also it is pretty bad that there are no sub-categories for me. ...for my needs I need hiearchy ...

As per @PinkElephant, Evernote's primary organization tool is the Tags feature   
Tags include a hierarchy for unlimited levels; maximum 100,000 entries   
I have 20k notes, minimal notebooks and under 500 tags

• Like 1

17 hours ago, empleat said:

but for my needs I need hiearchy

You can have (I believe) an infinite hierarchy of tags but only stacks and notebooks if you want to primarily organise by notebooks.