Automatic merging of notes and lost essential and personal data.

two of my notes got merged and one of the note's information was completely lost during thee recent update, i have not done anything to merge, in fact, i dont even know the procedure to merge two notes together. i'm an amateur writer and the information lost was extremely personal and i am looking find ways to restore it to a previous version of the note, which i do not know how. i have also contacted the twitter team, a few hours ago and i have received no response so far. please help, thank you!!!

ps: i'm a student and i use the basic version of the app.

• Level 5

Notes will not merge automatically. And they never ever merge (yet) on a mobile device,  on iOS and Android there is no merging function.

You need to be on a desktop, select both, and then select the merge menu option to make them merge.

Usually this puts one notes content under the content of the other one, in one combined note.

Did you do this ?

Have you already checked the trash for any note that was moved there by accident  ?

There is a note history running in the background for all notes. But to access it, the note still needs to exist (plus access is a Premium feature, so at least a 1 month subscription needed).

59 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Notes will not merge automatically. And they never ever merge (yet) on a mobile device,  on iOS and Android there is no merging function.

You need to be on a desktop, select both, and then select the merge menu option to make them merge.

Usually this puts one notes content under the content of the other one, in one combined note.

Did you do this ?

Have you already checked the trash for any note that was moved there by accident  ?

There is a note history running in the background for all notes. But to access it, the note still needs to exist (plus access is a Premium feature, so at least a 1 month subscription needed).

I thought so too, but, it happened when i got both my Mobile app and desktop up to date. The notes shared the title but the content of one of the notes got replaced with other. I honestly did not even know you could merge two notes on this app, i definitely did do anything like this or even close, all i do is update the app and type stuff in. I have checked every single note on my notes tab and the ones in the trash, 3 times over to find nothing 😕

the note does exist and it's still there only the content of it got replaced, and, i have no means to get the premium at all.

thank you so much for your response!!!

• Level 5

The title does not play a role (not like files on a computer). The note is identified by an internal key, that is unique for every note. So even if 2 notes share name AND content, they are still 2 different notes.

Merging means you need to actively select 2 (or more) notes on a desktop client, then select merge and then confirm it. What you tell does not sound like it.

Maybe what has happened was editing the same note on mobile and desktop at the same time. This must be avoided, it can create a sync conflict when both changes clash on the server.

Usually EN  will then create a sync conflict note.