Clipping/Saving to EN Android App Works Very Poorly

1. Whenever I try to save a webpage to Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy 10, the only thing that happens is that the EN app opens. But the clipping function doesn't appear. I wait and wait, but nothing. The clip didn't happen. So I have to go back to the browser and tell it to clip to EN again.

2. Then when I do it again, this time the clipping function will actually appear. But if EN was last used in my Personal profile and I want to clip to my Business profile (or vice versa), I have to stop the clipping process, switch accounts, go back to my browser, and try a 3rd time.

3. Now I can clip. But the Tagging feature does not work. I click on Add Tags, and nothing appears in the list. I have 100s of tags already defined. None of them are there.

4. A version or two ago, all these problems existed except for (3). But when I could tag, my next clip would assume I wanted the same tags. If I didn't want those tags, the only way to remove them was to scroll down my list of 100s of tags, and uncheck each of them. Not practical.

So every clip requires three attempts, and it doesn't even come with the ability to tag.

Does anyone at Evernote use the Android app? If so, someone might want to check and see if he's ok.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 5/14/2021 at 10:03 PM, Tim Kowal said:

1. Whenever I try to save a webpage to Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy 10, the only thing that happens is that the EN app opens. But the clipping function doesn't appear. I wait and wait, but nothing. The clip didn't happen. So I have to go back to the browser and tell it to clip to EN again.

2. Then when I do it again, this time the clipping function will actually appear. But if EN was last used in my Personal profile and I want to clip to my Business profile (or vice versa), I have to stop the clipping process, switch accounts, go back to my browser, and try a 3rd time.

3. Now I can clip. But the Tagging feature does not work. I click on Add Tags, and nothing appears in the list. I have 100s of tags already defined. None of them are there.

4. A version or two ago, all these problems existed except for (3). But when I could tag, my next clip would assume I wanted the same tags. If I didn't want those tags, the only way to remove them was to scroll down my list of 100s of tags, and uncheck each of them. Not practical.

So every clip requires three attempts, and it doesn't even come with the ability to tag.

Does anyone at Evernote use the Android app? If so, someone might want to check and see if he's ok.

same here!

• 1 month later...

In my continued monitoring of the functionality in Evernote 10 for Android relating to clipping and saving content, I have this to report to the group.

Previous status: Terrible.

New status: No change.

• 1 month later...

The fact that clipping now has to open the EN app (which is already slowish) is annoying.
Then the fact that you cannot change the notebook it saves to (the search doesn't work) makes this feature kind of labor intensive.
This is not clipping any more, it's worse than copy and paste.
My solution on Samsung Galaxy tablet? Back to version 8.x. Now clipping works as it should and the app is snappy (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/#downloads)

• Thanks 1

Same issue...but worse. I accepted my android clips would have to be organized on the desktop version due to not being able to change notebooks or the whole tagging thing where you are forced to deselect the previous tag and of course you can't add a new tag. 😑

But it's even worse because EN is clipping whatever I previously clipped, again! So I effectively lose whatever I was trying to save. It seems to pick whatever I had tried to share to evernote, the link says whatever it seems to have gotten stuck on, so I have to do it several times for it to work, if it will work at all.

It's very frustrating that everyone is saying to go back to previous version, but I like some of the new features and feel that I am paying for the development of them...soooo whyyyy is it such a hassle to get the bugs fixed before adding on more features????? Just like frickin Adobe...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 14.05.2021 at 21:03, Tim Kowal said:

Same on Samsung Galaxy s21 ultra. The fact that as mentioned old version clipping works as it should with no problems makes the matter quiet despairing until the clipping design of new version be changed.

• Level 5

Anybody here reported in to support ?

What did they tell ?

The mobile app in itself should not be the problem. On iOS clipping does allow notebook selection and opens with an empty tag section, ready to be filled.

Of course the web clipper on desktop is a far superior tool.

To the TO: It should be clear that when using a Teams / Business account, the right account needs to be open before the clipper can drop its load there. Mobile clipping works by sharing, no individual login. The desktop web clipper uses an own login, saved in the extension.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, Danijo1 said:

Same issue...but worse. I accepted my android clips would have to be organized on the desktop version due to not being able to change notebooks or the whole tagging thing where you are forced to deselect the previous tag and of course you can't add a new tag. 😑

But it's even worse because EN is clipping whatever I previously clipped, again! So I effectively lose whatever I was trying to save. It seems to pick whatever I had tried to share to evernote, the link says whatever it seems to have gotten stuck on, so I have to do it several times for it to work, if it will work at all.

It's very frustrating that everyone is saying to go back to previous version, but I like some of the new features and feel that I am paying for the development of them...soooo whyyyy is it such a hassle to get the bugs fixed before adding on more features????? Just like frickin Adobe...

I have the same issue on Android - "clipping whatever I previously clipped" and having to keep trying, if it works at all - since the "new" EverNote app debuted on Android a while back (I'm currently on 10.17). I've been trying Notion and even MS Onenote, but I've been using EN for seven (7) years and I really don't want to learn a new app!

• Thanks 1

I have the same issue. It's also bad on iPad.

If I share from some other app to Evernote, then when I next open Evernote, it says 'Clipping <whatever>'. Sometimes is does this more than once, so I end up with duplicates. If I don't open Evernote for several days, or a week or more, I might have a number of notes which haven't been clipped yet. I assume that if a webpage I am clipping changes in the meantime, the clip might not contain the content I want.

I am really frustrated with Evernote. They really need to concentrate on having rock solid core functionality and nail that before adding new features. I have been using Evernote since 2008 and feel there has been a major regression in the last year or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There is no "clipper" on mobile.

There is only the sharing function of the OS, sending content to a sort of Inbox waiting to receive shared content.

As long as the receiving app is not opened, it sits in the inbox. If something goes wrong meanwhile, it may get lost. When the receiving app is opened, it reviews the Inbox content and processes it into the own data structure. In the case of EN then it still needs to be synced to the server to be stored as a permanent note.

It is therefore advisable a) not to "clip" (share) many items at once without importing them from time to time b) open the receiving app and let the import run c) then wait (or manually start) for a sync to move the new notes to the master database on the EN server.

If you follow these simple steps, it works (as long as the website is allowing to be clipped, which is a subject in itself). If not, you are frustrating yourself.

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2021 at 6:29 PM, wonster23 said:

same issue on Android - "clipping whatever I previously clipped" and having to keep trying, if it works at all - since the "new" EverNote app debuted on Android a while back (I'm currently on 10.17)

...10.23, still the same...

On Android 12 Evernote 10.24. Sharing works pretty much OK for me. Sometimes when starting Evernote it will start with the dialog that i've shared content to it, although i already saved the content a while back. 

Back in the past i had to open Evernote before sharing stuff with it. That bug appears to have been fixed.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:09 AM, PinkElephant said:

Current version would be 10.24 on mobile. Not sure if it makes a difference.

I have now some days of experience with 10.24. Evernote is still trying to repeat old clips --- which is also annoying if you just want to look something up or take a new note --- and only rarely gets new clips the first time right.

I am having similar issues. I assumed that the ability to "clip" a web page into Evernote Android 10 would be considered core functionality - but apparently not.
I submitted a ticket to Evernote about this - and would encourage you to do the same.
The text of my ticket is here:

• Level 5

The mobile app uses the sharing mechanism, that will work better or not, pretty much outside of the reach of a single app.

For best clipping results, use the EN WebClipper on a desktop. Even then, some websites are simply hard to grab - part of them intentionally, IMHO many more just because of bad craftsmanship.

Hi PinkElephant, are you responding to my message?

Most of my bug report is about how the Android app pre-populates a "clipped" note with irrelevant tags,
and that it is very time consuming to remove these tags.

• Level 5

If this is your main concern, have you checked the autofiling setting in your web accounts settings ? It is described for forwarding email, but it may influence the filing of shared content as well.

On iOS I get a dialogue box, where I set the notes title, select the notebook and apply tags. 

Again, use the WebClipper from a desktop browser if you want more control - this is true for notebooks and tags as well. As with many app ecosystems, the mobile client has only a part of the full functions found on desktop - on the other hand it has some more typical for the mobile use. And the WebClipper extension is AFAIK desktop browsers only.

I hope it's okay to post my comment here, as it seems like the most applicable spot that's had some current traction. 

Up until a few months ago, my Evernote Android app was able to "clip" web pages in a manner nearly identical to the desktop plugin I use via Google Chrome. This was done by using the "Share" feature from a Chrome tab on my phone (Google Pixel, was 2XL and is now 6 Pro), and choosing Evernote from the list. I didn't have as many options as with the Chrome plugin (like my favorite, Simplified Article). But, following those steps from my phone would at least give me a "clip" of the webpage that included all the original content, even if it wasn't simplified and streamlined. 

However, now when following the same steps, the resulting "clips" from my phone end up being only a pasted link back to the article itself. That's it. Not helpful, since what I'm after is storing the content from such articles in one place in Evernote for ease of research purposes. After this happened three times, from three different websites, I tried clipping the same pages via Chrome browser plugin on my PC, and everything works perfectly. 

So, is true clipping functionality from mobile now dead? Do I need to try a method other than the "Share" feature from Chrome on the phone? Are the three websites in my test pool just not friendly to be clipped by mobile? Not likely, in my opinion. 

Any recommendations are helpful, as this is one of the main features I use within Evernote. Thanks in advance. 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:06 PM, ChBuenger said:

same here!

in the meantime I changed my Android Smartphone. Before I used a HTC, now a Samsung S21 5G running Android 11 until December 2021 and then 12. With the new gadget I have no problems anymore. Not any at all! I can clip and I can work with the new Evernote. The hassles I had before are gone. But for the times I had the problems I was realy angry about the non perfomance of Evernote as an important tool of my working environment.

1 hour ago, ChBuenger said:

in the meantime I changed my Android Smartphone. Before I used a HTC, now a Samsung S21 5G running Android 11 until December 2021 and then 12. With the new gadget I have no problems anymore. Not any at all! I can clip and I can work with the new Evernote. The hassles I had before are gone. But for the times I had the problems I was realy angry about the non perfomance of Evernote as an important tool of my working environment.

I hope your good luck keeps up. I reported the clipping problems for a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm on 10.25, Android, Samsung hardware, Phone and Tablet, tried both. It says it clips, but the note is not made after the pop-up disappears. 

Developing a new workaround. Something like Evernote would be useful to keep track of all of them.

3 hours ago, agsteele said:

This is a known issue with 10.25. It seems to be resolved by uninstalling and then reinstalling from the Play Store.

Thank you. It’s working again for me.

• Like 1