Dark Sidebar

I searched but the responses must be from previous versions because I don't have an "options" under the tools menu.

I got an upgrade to version 10.13.4 and now my sidebar is dark and I can't change it back to light. What's the trick to getting it back to light mode?

It also seems kind of busy now, all I want is to see my notes and favorites. I don't need or want to see all that other stuff???

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Indeed, in the new version 10.15.6 for Windows, the sidebar is dark and does not respond to the Light Mode preference in View. 
In particular, it's very strange the sidebar has a different background now, compared to the notes.

Can this sidebar be turned light again?

I think it sucks that I can't make the sidebar light...

I also think it sucks that it doesn't go right to my notes when I launch the app. I got this app to keep notes in, not for a home page with widgets...

They may be headed the wrong direction for me.

• Ex Employees

Can somebody please provide screenshots of what you're seeing? I tested 10.13.4 and 10.15.6 on both Mac and Windows and I am not seeing a change in the left navigation while Light Mode is selected. There's probably something I'm missing with your configuration that is causing you to have a problem.

• Like 1

Sure, here is a picture of my dark sidebar even though I'm set to light mode. And i have no idea what that shared with me is all about, I wished I could get it to start up with my notes.

Evernote.JPG

• Ex Employees

@SoapmThanks, so your screenshot is what I see as well in both 10.13.4 and 10.15.6. Are you saying the left column used to be lighter? I'm pretty sure it's always been a dark color, regardless of light or dark mode, but I admittedly always use dark mode. I do notice that it gets a darker black if I switch to dark mode.

This side bar now is completely dark!

BUT IT USED TO HAVE A NORMAL WHITE BACKGROUND
And I can prove that, as I have as a coincidence another PC still running the old 6.25.1.9091 version!

Please find included screenshots of the old version 6.25.1.9091and the new version 10.15.6, with the sidebar now completely dark!

I think no widely used app has an obligatory dark background for the main menu.

How can this side bar be turned light again?

Thanks and best wishes,

Louis.

evernote old.JPG

evernote new.JPG

• Thanks 1

I think this is a question of take it or leave it (or use legacy version).

The left sidebar and main navigation panel ist dark since version 10 on all platforms,  with evernote web and new editor even longer.
This is  a decision by design. So I don't expect that there will be a choice to change colors for a light mode or to emulate pre V10 design.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Louis NL said:

evernote old.JPG

You brought back the days when this was a simple tool for keeping mind (notes) strait, how do I get this look back? This is all I want and need?

In front of a group of people I launched the app on my ipad and got this screen, which I had no idea how to get rid of so I'm standing there, nervously filibustering as I try to figure out how to get to my notes??? If you want to add these features, fine, but please make them customizable for those who want them and not for those who want just a basic app. I want the app to launch like it used to when I started paying for it, like above...  Simple...

IMG_0302.PNG

• Like 1

If there's a light mode available, which does not work for the side bar pane, what kind of 'design' is that?

It's just a very confusing screen now, why would a light mode not include that part of the screen??

• Ex Employees
55 minutes ago, Louis NL said:

If there's a light mode available, which does not work for the side bar pane, what kind of 'design' is that?

It's a design aesthetic and not unique to Evernote. Spark mail (a very popular Mac email client) does the exact same thing. Here's a partial screenshot from my Mac in light mode. 

Not saying that it's the right or wrong thing to do, but just pointing out that it's definitely a design decision.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 12.39.22 PM.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Simple - tap on the „hamburger“ symbol bottom left, and you are at your notes view.

It used to just go right into my notes? Any way I can get it to just go into my notes without having to tap on the hamburger? I find that screen a huge annoyance.

Anyway to have the old design as an option? We understand many like the dark mode and the MAC app might be popular, but for those who liked the way it was before, any chance we can have the option of the old look? It was much simpler and strait forward for those of us who use the app on the go.

• Level 5

If you want everything „as before“, you better switch to the legacy app (on desktop).

My personal opinion is that regarding v10, we better accept there are some changes. Giving a huge amount of options means a lot more code, more complexity and in the end worse performance and bugs. I prefer it lean and doing the job.

Maybe a „don’t show me Home at start“, although Home will become more active once there is a tasks widget available.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you want everything „as before“, you better switch to the legacy app (on desktop).

My personal opinion is that regarding v10, we better accept there are some changes. Giving a huge amount of options means a lot more code, more complexity and in the end worse performance and bugs. I prefer it lean and doing the job.

Maybe a „don’t show me Home at start“, although Home will become more active once there is a tasks widget available.

Thanks, I was hoping there was an answer...  Are there instructions on switching to the legacy app? I would love to do that since I'm just looking for a simple app to keep my thoughts strait. I use my calendar for task, appts, etc... as it allows my secretary to keep me strait.

Edited to add... Any way to switch my iPad to the legacy app? I really don't need that home page, it's more of a distraction then a help.

Edited to edit the edit...  Found it https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

What about for my iPad? My android devices don't have that screen, just my iPad.

Edited to edit the edited edit: This was a complete disaster, I still have the same look as it instantly updated itself but now I got a continuous error saying it failed to import notes. The error just won't go away even after a reboot.

All happy in Soapm land, I got legacy back and working. I had to delete the old database then uncheck the update option before logging in, and you know what happened, yep... I'm back to the way it was. All happy in Soapm land!

• Level 5

To answer that one open question: No way back on the iPad, and I see no reason why.

v10 is running stable on my iOS devices, and  is already better than any prior version. There is a list of open issues, but this is (beside support for the Watch) nothing old versions did any better. 

Top of my list is the ability to have more than one note open at any time, together with split screen for 2 EN sessions side by side.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To answer that one open question: No way back on the iPad, and I see no reason why.

v10 is running stable on my iOS devices, and  is already better than any prior version. There is a list of open issues, but this is (beside support for the Watch) nothing old versions did any better. 

Top of my list is the ability to have more than one note open at any time, together with split screen for 2 EN sessions side by side.

Other than that home screen the iPad works fine, though I don't type any notes on my iPad. I just read them while in the pulpit. Which is why I don't need that screen, when I open the app on my iPad it's for one reason. To read one of the notes I typed from my PC.

Please give us the option of starting the app without that screen.

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is another thread where you can vote for this proposal.

Vote for the option of turning off an option I have no use for???

Ok, I searched but don't find that thread, can you give me a clue what to put in the search box? I would like my voice to be heard.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am using version 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539) and got a warning that I have to upgrade by March 20, 2024.

Anyone know if they made it where we can turn off the dark sidebar or am I being forced to ask for a refund and go elsewhere? As explained above, my eyes don't see the dark mode too well which is why I went back and stay with the legacy version. I am more than happy with the legacy version and don't understand why they don't leave me alone and let me use the tool I can use.

This is even worse, how do I make it look like it used to? I'm not very tech savvy which is why I stay with what works. Is there a button or setting for classic look? I am totally lost looking at this.

Capture.JPG

Show sidebar wasn't selected but selecting it doesn't so anything.

I can't even find my notes, this has me in panic mode since I need them tomorrow. I guess I'll go back to legacy and just ask for my money back when it expires. I've appreciated a simple application that let me keep my thoughts and was able to sync across my devices. Looks like they left a simple customer like me since all I want is my notes. The rest of this is a waste for me.

I might also add, this is so complicated it's intimidating to a person like me. I've been using the past look for years and wasn't looking to spend a night trying to recreate what I already had. wow, I honestly feel like I got kicked in the nuts and without even an apology. This is a drastic change from the app I've had as my go to for years.

Then they don't play fair, it says can't connect to server after I downgraded to the legacy. It won't let me sign in.Not I'm in a very bad spot since I need my notes in the morning, can't find them in the new look and can't go back to the old. And to think I paid money for this treatment.

• Level 5

V. 10 does have a different arrangement in the interface from the one you (and all of us) were used to in v. 6. My viewpoint is that it took me awhile to get used to the older version when I started using Evernote, but I did, and when I started using v. 10 it took me another while, but I got used to that too.

In any case, your notes are all there. To see the sidebar, try pressing the F10 key along the top of the keyboard. That should pop it out. Then you can click on Notes or Notebooks to see the list of your content. Please keep asking questions; a lot of your fellow users here enjoy answering them!

Regarding the black sidebar, that was formerly the standard look in v. 10, but they did a big revamp of the interface colors a few weeks ago and now it's light everywhere. Hope this is helpful.

The previous interface was so much better. It's not a matter of getting used to it, everything was there when you opened the app instead of having to remember how to get to this or that. I wished they'd of let us stay with the legacy app, that's the one I gladly paid for. To force me over to this makes me want my money back.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Soapm said:

The previous interface was so much better. It's not a matter of getting used to it, everything was there when you opened the app instead of having to remember how to get to this or that. I wished they'd of let us stay with the legacy app, that's the one I gladly paid for. To force me over to this makes me want my money back.

My viewpoint: we had to learn the previous interface too; it wasn't so intuitive that we were born knowing it! It was a matter of getting used to it, and learning to remember how to get to this or that--and only then was everything "there when you opened the app." And we now (or for some of us a couple of years ago) are having (had) to get used to a new one. If you haven't read the blog post on reasons for discontinuing Legacy, here it is: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning,