Drag and drop notes to create links, creates interal web links (which open on the browser, not on the app), instead of internal app links

I'm using Evernote Desktop for Windows 10.13.4.

I'm editing a note and I want to link another note  which is in the sidebar. I drag and drop the note from the sidebar to the current note. This creates a link.

I would expect to get an app internal link (evernote:///) but I get an internal web link (https://www.evernote.com/shard/...), as a result, the links open on the browser, not within the app, which should not be the expected behavior.

In general, I think that this difference between web and app links is a mess. My point of view is that all links should be web links ant the app should be clever enough to open the evernote internal links within the app and not in the browser. Having two kinds of internal links makes all more difficult (sometimes I choose the wrong link, I need to click two times in order to get the right type of internal link, etc.)

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Pere said:

In general, I think that this difference between web and app links is a mess. My point of view is that all links should be web links ant the app should be clever enough to open the evernote internal links within the app and not in the browser. Having two kinds of internal links makes all more difficult (sometimes I choose the wrong link, I need to click two times in order to get the right type of internal link, etc.)

Hi.  I believe that Evernote had a situation at one stage where a link would open in the app if it was open elsewhere on the device, but would go for the browser if it was not otherwise available.  Don't know if this is a temporary 'feature' of v10 or a genuine bug,  but as you're a subscriber I'd suggest you raise it with Support so they're aware...  

1 hour ago, Pere said:

I agree 100% The web version opens app style links and web style links in the web version so surely the desktop should be able to do the same.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I believe that Evernote had a situation at one stage where a link would open in the app if it was open elsewhere on the device, but would go for the browser if it was not otherwise available.  Don't know if this is a temporary 'feature' of v10 or a genuine bug,  but as you're a subscriber I'd suggest you raise it with Support so they're aware...  

Well, I openned a ticket, and when I selected the topic, it showed me the following text:

Note link behavior differs based on where the link is pasted. If you paste a note link within Evernote, the link will open directly in Evernote. If you paste a note link anywhere outside of Evernote, the link will open in your device's web browser. If you have any other issues, submit a ticket so we can help.

This text is false in Evernote 10. That would be the expected behavior, but it isn't.
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Pere said:

Note link behavior differs based on where the link is pasted

Yup - basically what I said.  Since you're "pasting a note within Evernote" by dragging and dropping one note on another,  this seems like a bug.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Please, can someone help about this issue?

Can we change the behavior of the link created when we drag a note from the sidebar and drop it on another note when using the windows app, so it links to the note inside the windows app and not on the browser?

55 minutos atrás, gazumped disse:

Per the previous posts on this - if you're experiencing unexpected behaviour.. open a support ticket.

Thank you for your answer, about the support ticket. However I was looking forward to the help of the community. If anyone could still answer my question I would be very thankful!

It is worth mentioning that allthough this has been working in the current limited form for several versions it is still listed as a "coming soon" feature in the release notes. I hope therefore that we are seeing a limited, unannounced version which will work properly at some stage int he future.

image.png.2c8f4260c7c2f8438b3d037c8ac295c5.png

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...