Table of contents for note

Vadych

Idea

14 replies to this idea

44 minutes ago, Vadych said:

Now it is possible to put the headings of three levels.
It would be great if a table of contents for a note is automatically created based on them

Just to clarify I think you mean a table of contents for the note not the old table of contents function in the lagacy which produced a separate TOC note with links to a number of other notes.

I completely agree with this idea, especially if it directly linked to the section of the note.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

You can create it - sort of. Just write several smaller notes instead of one big one, select them all, create the note links and place them into a TOC note. Not the same, but serves as a workaround.

Personally I hope that EN will use the header feature to take structuring text a little further, like TOC, collapsing and expanding text etc.

+1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Чтобы прояснить, я думаю, вы имеете в виду оглавление для заметки, а не старую функцию оглавления в лаге, которая создала отдельную заметку TOC со ссылками на ряд других заметок.

Полностью согласен с этой идеей, особенно если она напрямую связана с разделом заметки.

Yes, you got it right

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Please explain the "three levels"   
I'm not aware of any levels in the note contents

I assume he means the three header levels which become  <h1>,  <h2> and  <h3> in the .enex file

image.png.9cda3e41a346d67b833f755fff9fe88b.png

image.png.223590ec1efb141461155a1f40c1594a.png

The fact that EN are doing it this way does bode well for internal linking within a note at some stage in the future.

• Like 2

Yes, I fully agree to using the headers as a way to build the in-note table of contents. Please EN, have this feature! Notion and other note taking apps have this.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, PinkElephant said:

You can create it - sort of. Just write several smaller notes instead of one big one, select them all, create the note links and place them into a TOC note. Not the same, but serves as a workaround.

I'll have to beg to differ and say I'm not even sure that really serves as a work-around. One of the benefits of having all the content in the same note is that you can still scroll through the whole content easily. If the content is broken up into multiple notes, then there is no way to scroll through it all.

If you had a note with 50 different headers, you'd break that up into 50 different notes and have to go back and forth between each note.

Also, would the 50 different notes keep the same order? It would depend on what the sorting setting was and you'd have to prefix the note title with some kind of text that would keep them in the order you wanted.

Side note -- I can't believe more people don't think having a built in table of contents (for just content in that note) is an awesome idea. Must just be one of those times where you are the outlier, but you thought you weren't. (And in this case, I'm the outlier.)

Btw, my opinion is that this table of contents should live in a sidebar and not be embedded in the note itself. (But being able to embed it in the note itself *also* would be ok too.)

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

If you had a note with 50 different headers

I suspect this would be more of a document than a note   
I would be using a word processing editor (Apple Pages)    
The document would be stored in Evernote as a note attachment file

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There are still people who are so clever, but the simple difference between a workaround and a software change escapes their view from the ivory tower.

• Workaround: Not so nice, some hiccups but available NOW
  • Software change: Eye watering brilliance, people around the world dancing in the street, but THEN (or maybe NEVER)

Personally I keep my notes short. Longer documents are attached, not scripted in EN.

We will have to wait and see if EN one day transforms the 3 header levels introduced with v10 into something with more function. It crosses my mind a TOC may be part of this package - THEN.

Thanks - I appreciate the input. It’s just a different way of thinking about taking notes for me to break them up into smaller notes like that for some of my larger notes.

I’m hoping with the new v10 structure that they could/would add it, but I won’t hold my breath. 😃

• Like 1

I think creating a Headers TOC would be awesome for notes that require scrolling.

I could see it being used for many purposes. For long-form notes, it would be a navigational element. For medium-form notes, it could be a content summary, e.g. 5-8 lines of headers that describe perfectly the summary of the note.

Personally, I would use it a lot for medium-form notes, as most of my Evernote content is short-form to medium-form notes. Sure I could use MS Word or Google Docs, but well, I would be really happy if Evernote did include that feature.

Was just thinking about this some more today... Perhaps Evernote wants to discourage super long notes as long notes make syncing, loading times and other things more problematic. Imagine a 40+ page note with 20+ tables, 50+ headers, 50+ tasks etc. and the syncing and rendering and other issues that could occur.

If there were a TOC and internal linking then it would encourage users to create longer notes and so EN would be shooting themselves in the foot to some degree. I hope that this *isn't* the case (that this is something they *could* do, but *won't* do), but it doesn't seem too unlikely that it *is* the case.

I'm more of a long note (aka document!) taker myself (not 40 page, 50+ table long though!). I've only got just over 1,300 notes at the moment, but if I broke those out into logically smaller notes I could easily have 40K+ 20K notes.

I use to look at the plan limitations of 100,000 maximum notes and think "why would anyone have so many notes?". Well, I can answer that now -- it's because maybe my notes could/should be broken into multiple notes.

• Level 5

It is called EverNOTE, not EverNOVEL. Technically it is possible to write a lot of words into one note (200 MB is a small library, if only text is used). But the program is not designed to create this type of content. For long documents use a word processor - they are made for long pieces of writings.

• Like 1

I am 100% behind this idea. It's one of only two things that is stopping me from subscribing to premium, the other being the ability to collapse the content within each heading. I'm considering switching to Notion or Coda for these features.