If Evernote offered an alternative Markdown note format for integrated note editor

Alternative Markdown note format for integrated note editor  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you choose Markdown

• No
    • Yes

• Level 5*

Evernote currently provides an integrated note editor   
There are no choices; the editor is wysiwyg, and the note format is enml/html

Personally, I'm comfortable accessing and editing markup code (Mac Legacy platform)
but I don't want to see the code in general use

I"m an html fan; I find markdown syntax too limited

• DTLow changed the title to If Evernote offered an alternative Markdown note format for integrated note editor
  • Level 5*

I think most "normal" people don't have a clue what markdown is and so building a fairly complex feature that will be used by a very small percentage of the user base probably isn't the best way to spend cash.

• Like 2

I tried Bear out on iOS and Mac a year or so ago and could not stand using markdown for formatting. I did not like seeing the syntax within my notes and much prefer the wysiwyg Evernote Editor. I think @Metrodonhas it correct in that more folks have no clue what markdown is (I did not till trying Bear out) and would find it a cluttering mess in their notes. The few markdown'ish style shortcuts that EN has implemented (#, ##, ### for headings is what I am thinking of) are great - though I do not think more are needed. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, buckethead said:

I tried Bear out on iOS and Mac a year or so ago and could not stand using markdown for formatting. I did not like seeing the syntax within my notes and much prefer the wysiwyg Evernote Editor. I think @Metrodonhas it correct in that more folks have no clue what markdown is (I did not till trying Bear out) and would find it a cluttering mess in their notes. The few markdown'ish style shortcuts that EN has implemented (#, ##, ### for headings is what I am thinking of) are great - though I do not think more are needed. 

Yep, you're probably right.

I often have to use a wiki software which, like Evernote, does not allow you to see the code that is actually being created. However, this wiki software also has other weaknesses, chief among which is the way it changes pasted text (changing spaces or dashes to visually similar Unicode characters). You can imagine how annoying that is if you're trying to share a couple of shell commands.

Fortunately Evernote is much better here. I've never seen it modify anything in pasted text.