Is it time for Evernote to release a parallel Evernote "Light" app?

gustavgi

Parallel Evernote "Light" app?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. An alternate app with just the most basic functions, little to no development, and mainly focus on speed and reliability?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe not a "Light" app, but something else.. (comment)

Idea

• Level 5*

Could it be that the idea of power user functionality, that has made Evernote what it is, clashes with the idea of streamlining the development across all platforms and making the product more inviting to newbies so the number of subscribers can grow?

But couldn't these two both be cared for by releasing a secondary, more simple, "light" version, that would require little to no continuous development costs and that would always be reliable in terms of speed and functionality?

I am using the legacy versions for power user functionality today. I would gladly use a new "Light" version on the side, with less functionality at times, and it would probably suit the newbies a lot more than the version out today. The main problem is that the new versions are more "light" but neither reliable nor speedy, and that the development of the more powerful (and still more reliable) legacy versions has stopped. This is quite clearly reflected in the constant line of one star reviews for the app in the Google Play store.

Initially I bought the statement that the new app platform would allow for a much quicker way of implementing new features. However, the much requested return of the Ctrl+Q(Win) and Cmd+J(Mac) feature has been listed in the release notes as coming "soon" for at least 6 months, which makes me doubt that the new platform is all that easy to work with. 

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Did you intend for this to be posted in the IOS/Android forum   
The general forum might me more appropriate    
I can move it if you wish

I voted no   
imho Evernote is going "light" with their Version 10 product    
Also, Evernote is already "light" compared to products like Devonthink

My perspective is as a power user on the Legacy Mac platform    
I'm not a "light" fan

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did you intend for this to be posted in the IOS forum   
The general forum might me more appropriate    
I can move it if you wish

I voted no   
imho Evernote is going "light" with their Version 10 product    
Also, compared to other products like Devonthink, Evernote is already "light"

I meant to post it in the Android section, so I moved it. Could be more of a general question as well though.

I agree that Evernote is going "light" in a sense with V10, but it's not intentional though as they are phasing out the legacy versions and are now adding new features to V10 without fixing its issues with speed and reliability first. A real "light" version would be V10 without any speed and reliability issues and therefore a few less features, placed alongside a main app developed with the senior Evernote power users in mind instead.

To me, it sounds like you are not happy with the "light" version being the main app and that your "no" answer should be one of the other two options.

• Level 5*

I'm also in the Heck, NO!! category - notwithstanding the 'easy' prototyping that's allegedly possible in Electron packaging,  Evernote is having issues getting v10 back up to something approaching the standard of Legacy features. 

It may be shiny and new,  but it's s-l-o-w.  I would not like anything taking the company's focus away from upgrading the current package.  Plus we users are such nit-pickers that despite whatever limited package of features Evernote puts together there'll be a host of requests for more fonts / styles / colours / 'essential features' desperately needed by small groups...  the limited package would eventually grow into the full set. 

In fact we're only where we are now because of the slew of user requests for the same appearance on all platforms / parity between features and the rest.  Evernote might have jumped at the chance to reduce their overhead on different coding for different devices,  but it was also to answer user requests.  So. 

No new projects - get this one right first!!

The app is getting worse and worse on the tablet. It often takes several minutes to open a note. When I try to sync, it also takes a very long time. I hardly use it on the tablet anymore. And it's a problem with the app because when I manage to open it in smartphone mode (using Samsung Dex), the app runs much faster. We should have at least the option to use the smartphone mode on the tablet.

• Level 5*
On 6/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, Luiz Gustavo Souza said:

We should have at least the option to use the smartphone mode on the tablet.

That's actually a good idea,  and not one I've heard before.  You might like to raise it as a votable Feature Request in the forums here,  or feed it back to Evernote directly.  (We're mostly users here,  and while staffers do read these pages,  it may not be for some time...)

• Level 5

If "the tablet" is an Android tablet, book it to the insufficiencies of that platform for tablets.

No problem at all on the iPad (beside the fact that the multitasking option is still not supported). So maybe instead of running a smartphone app on the tablet as an act of despair, get a better tablet. A real smartphone app will never create customer satisfaction - it is usually designed for portrait orientation, a narrow screen and no provision for tablet gadgets like keyboard, pencil and trackpad.

In fact many observers say it is this smartphone-on-a-tablet approach that makes the Android tablet experience so inferior.

What you describe above to me sounds as if the tablet app needs more resources than this specific tablet can provide - either with CPU or memory.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

What you describe above to me sounds as if the tablet app needs more resources than this specific tablet can provide - either with CPU or memory.

I didn't want to play the "everything works great for me" card up front,  but I have a Samsung S7 Android Tablet and it is as fast as my desktop.  No issues here...

• Like 1