Please restore the essentially functionality of being able to save users' Evernote data locally

mhussar

Idea

I think its concerning that this even crossed the mind of the decision makers at Evernote let alone was implemented. In what way is it a good idea to take away this choice from users?! The very fact that Evernote decided to remove this functionality is what calls into question how much we can trust Evernote now as a company to ensure the safety over our data in the future. Not only am I concerned by this indication of poor judgement but if Evernote goes under, or gets bought out, or seriously hacked, we are out of luck. It seems like pretty basic data management to NOT have your data stored in one place or though one party.

Can someone please let us know if we will be able to somehow store our data locally in the future and not require internet access with the exception of syncing. Please do not offer as a solution the ridiculously limited exporting feature of 50 notes at a time. 

I'd like to know up-front because if Evernote has no intention of restoring this functionality (not to mention restoring so much of the perfectly good functionality that was gutted in this horrible upgrade), I'll have to unfortunately find another app for my notes. After using Evernote for 14 years and having to no problem with it during that time and appreciating how it helped me run my business and life, its really sickening to see something like this happen to the company. I wish I at least knew why.

• Like 1

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Short answer: No, by design.

Think of EN v10 as a browser (invisible for you) running as a shell for the app you are actually seeing and using. It is obvious that it lives from an internet connection.

In the settings is a switch to preserve local data after closing the app. You will only be able to use this data when you were logged into EN before going offline.

The moment you are back online, it will start to use the server data again. There is no user control for syncing, it will sync right away.

The why is simple: The old apps were native, the EN team had to write every routine from scratch. EN said it was no longer tenable to keep up with the steady changes of the underlying OSes, plus deliver new features.

The framework they use now runs the app inside of a shell that takes care of all that. EN is focusing on the app itself, the framework does the rest.

I don’t say all this is good or bad, it is just as it is. You can make up your own mind about it.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, mhussar said:

I think its concerning that this even crossed the mind of the decision makers at Evernote let alone was implemented. In what way is it a good idea to take away this choice from users?! The very fact that Evernote decided to remove this functionality is what calls into question how much we can trust Evernote now as a company to ensure the safety over our data in the future. Not only am I concerned by this indication of poor judgement but if Evernote goes under, or gets bought out, or seriously hacked, we are out of luck. It seems like pretty basic data management to NOT have your data stored in one place or though one party.

Can someone please let us know if we will be able to somehow store our data locally in the future and not require internet access with the exception of syncing. Please do not offer as a solution the ridiculously limited exporting feature of 50 notes at a time. 

I'd like to know up-front because if Evernote has no intention of restoring this functionality (not to mention restoring so much of the perfectly good functionality that was gutted in this horrible upgrade), I'll have to unfortunately find another app for my notes. After using Evernote for 14 years and having to no problem with it during that time and appreciating how it helped me run my business and life, its really sickening to see something like this happen to the company. I wish I at least knew why.

Who knows what exactly Evernote will do in the future.  They have expressed the desire to enable disconnected access to your notes.  I hear it is somewhat in place today though I can't vouch for it as I am still using 6.25.1 wherein local access and Local notebooks still thrive for the time being.

I think some of the issue is the path EN decided to take and the design decisions/compromises they made in the process.  If they really wanted disconnected access on the desktop they could have designed it in.  There are some other head scratching bits of function/feature that were removed  not to mention embedding a lag in updates which affects search results.  That one is particularly mind boggling to me.  Not to mention no user control of sync which in my brief forays into V10 has resulted in note conflicts.  Again decisions and compromises made, it is their software after all.

I've looked at other products but 6.25 still is best for me.  I'm hopeful V10 gets back to a comparable level of function and more importantly speed. 

On the concept of decisions and compromises re different deployments there is Nimbus.  I took a look at Nimbus just in case V10 doesn't come through for my use case.  It is similar to EN, look and feel and some of the features, but it is missing features important to me.  I found something interesting in my quick review.  If I have the same note open in Nimbus both in a browser on one screen and the desktop app on another screen changes that I make to the note on one screen or the other automatically show up on the other, real time.  Someone has figured out this syncing stuff.

EDIT:  To add to the Nimbus bit.  Nimbus does have the same search index update lag as EN on their browser.  This is the issue wherein search results don't immediately update after a change.  They have the same problem as EN.  Their desktop app performs like 6.25.1 as it uses a local data base and search results update immediately after a change.

I agree. I can't keep company proprietary information in a notebook that gets pushed to public cloud where my company secrets could be exposed.  I'll have to cancel my subscription.

I've had an Evernote subscription since 2014.

How can Evernote stay in business if they insist on alienating their customer base?

• Like 1