Is There a Means to Scan Into Evernote from Scanner Yet?

afavre

Idea

I know since the upgrade the "evernote" button in my scanner software is broken.  I understand from a while a go that this was a "future feature" they were working on.  

Knowing future features sometimes don't happen, do any of you have a means or direction for me to accomplish this without the extra steps of saving the files then dragging and dropping into evernote or scanning to email and then forwarding the email?

It was a very handy feature to accomplish this directly from a scan. I am using an EPSON 60W.  I am not a programmer but can follow directions if there any line edits or hacks I need to try?  

I have adjusted my workflow, but sending these items directly out of the scanner via their software was really quick.  I am not sure EPSON can fix it until EVERNOTE gives them the API or whatever the term is.

10 replies to this idea

I still can with my Scansnap 1300, but it may be because I have v10 AND Legacy 6.25 on my PC. I'm not sure how EPSON's scanner software works. For Scansnap, the software has integration to Evernote. It seems that is all I need.

So you might reinstall the Epson software and make sure it knows about your Evernote account, somehow. Hard to say exactly how without fiddling with it myself, but that's the first place I would look if I had the problem: the middleware between your physical scanner and your Evernote account.

Hope that is helpful in any way. Good luck!

TY Hanseric. I have installed the latest version from Epson of their software.  When I click the "send to evernote" button the provide, it tells me that "the software is not installed" which started happening when the completely evolved their version from last year. I am running v10. I may try installing legacy and see if that makes the needed change and see if it causes an problems if by it just being installed it allows for the import while I still use version 10, then problem solved.  And again, thank you.

• Evernote Expert

This is, I think, an issue with the Epson software. It is looking for the old software installation.  EN v10 is in a separate location to the old program.  I would expect that the legacy program would resolve the issue for the time being.  But this will not be a permanent fix. The ScanSnap software was updated by ScanSnap to support the new version of Evernote. I would expect that this is what will be required from Epson to support EN v10 unless you can configure the Epson scanner software to point to the new Evernote program directory.

• Level 5

The ScanSnap scanners have a mobile and a cloud solution in addition to the direct scanning option.

Sometimes I use it (especially the scan to my iPhone) when my Mac is off, and I just need to do a fast scanning job of some pages, but don’t feel like using the phones camera. It works really good: Activate the scanner, open the app on the phone (both in the same WiFi), hit scan in the mobile app, it starts zapping pages, done. Give it a name, share the pdf to EN, a matter of minutes. What is missing is the OCR capability on the desktop, but EN makes up for it.

Maybe the Epson scanner solution offer similar possibilities.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:41 AM, PinkElephant said:

The ScanSnap scanners have a mobile and a cloud solution in addition to the direct scanning option.

Sometimes I use it (especially the scan to my iPhone) when my Mac is off, and I just need to do a fast scanning job of some pages, but don’t feel like using the phones camera. It works really good: Activate the scanner, open the app on the phone (both in the same WiFi), hit scan in the mobile app, it starts zapping pages, done. Give it a name, share the pdf to EN, a matter of minutes. What is missing is the OCR capability on the desktop, but EN makes up for it.

Maybe the Epson scanner solution offer similar possibilities.

Which Scansnap do you have @PinkElephant? I've got an older S1300. Works GREAT, but I currently have to have middleware from Scansnap (Scansnap Manager) and that only seem to work with Legacy 6.25 (not V10).

I've not tried real hard to configure the ScanSnap Manger to work with V10 to be honest. But on cursory glance, it would appear it only looks for "Evernote" and I suspect it is looking for the older Windows version of Evernote and would not see HTML5 version.

Honestly I wonder if it's even possible to have HTML5 Evernote (v10) interface with scanner middleware.

Maybe I'd have to tell scanner to just "Scan to Folder" (see below) and EN will one day be able to regularly poll a folder for new scans?

Here's a question, though: under which current v10 menu would such a "poll this Windows folder for new scans" setting go? There isn't even a menu item called Settings, as far as I can see. Just noticed that. There's Preferences, but it has all of two settings right now: Spell Check and Save Data At Logout.  Doesn't look like there are going to be many settings, as such, for this new Evernote we are getting to know.

image.png.7cdd91f4d807f871bfa783cddb5c2c79.png

• Level 5

My Scanner is an ix500.

The app I mentioned above is the ScanSnap Connect Application, from Fujitsu. It is for mobile devices.

It connects the iPhone with the ScanSnap, allows some basic settings and scans to the iPhones memory. I then select in the app the file (pdf), call the share menu, and send the document from the ScanSnap app to the EN app on the same phone.

What it does not do is OCR the document.

On the Mac it is ScanSnap Manager to EN legacy.

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, hanseric said:

Which Scansnap do you have @PinkElephant? I've got an older S1300. Works GREAT, but I currently have to have middleware from Scansnap (Scansnap Manager) and that only seem to work with Legacy 6.25 (not V10).

The ScanSnap Manager software has been updated and works just fine with Evernote 10. The current version for Windows is 7.1 L26 You can download it from - https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/

Be careful to follow the links to the version 7 ScanSnap software. You will also need to manually add the Evernote 10 option to the scanning configuration.

• Thanks 1
On 5/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, agsteele said:

The ScanSnap Manager software has been updated and works just fine with Evernote 10. The current version for Windows is 7.1 L26 You can download it from - https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/

Be careful to follow the links to the version 7 ScanSnap software. You will also need to manually add the Evernote 10 option to the scanning configuration.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I have a Fujitsu iX500 scanning to Evernote V10.13.5 on Windows 10 using ScanSnap Home V2.0.31.1.

It uses ScanSnap Cloud Services to make the connection to Evernote.  I have it configured to add all scanned documents to my Evernote InBox folder.

I just setup a ScanSnap Home profile to do a scan directly to Evernote but it goes to the Legacy Evernote. There doesn't seem to be a way to have it send the scanned document to Evernote V10.  I was surprised this worked at all.  I thought Evernote had dropped all support for iX500 scanning directly to a Windows EN client (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024050514-Update-your-ScanSnap-Evernote-Edition-scanner and, yep, I had the Evernote Edition of the iX500)

ScanSnap Home and Cloud Services works OK for me with EN V10. I'll stick with it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I use legacy with my ix500. I think the proper scanner import function for v10 will come when(ever) the import folders get released.

The EN edition ix500 was AFAIK abandoned by Fujitsu. They declared the ix500 end of life when the ix1500 was introduced, this stopped support for the EN edition scanners as well. You can still convert it by a firmware update into a standard ix500. The conversion is one way, once done, there is no way back to EN edition status.

Personally I expect any future solution to be targeted at scanners in general, without a specific EN edition loop. So probably conversion is the best way.

• Like 1