Encrypted Password Manager and 2FA Generator

Smacs

Idea

I used to store all my passwords in Evernote but moved everything over to BitWarden as it’s secure and also has a built-in 2-Factor Authentication generator.

Would prefer to have it in the same place as my notes, so Evernote? What you say??

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It makes IMHO absolutely no sense from a Security standpoint.

Passwords and content should never be mixed in the same app. The mechanisms to make an app very secure are different from those that make access to content easy and highly performing (like search, indexing etc.).

It is impossible to make content first strongly encrypted, and then expect services like OCR and search indexing performed on this data. The necessary breach of encryption for the services create a loophole that can not be avoided nor fixed.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It makes IMHO absolutely no sense from a Security standpoint.

Passwords and content should never be mixed in the same app. The mechanisms to make an app very secure are different from those that make access to content easy and highly performing (like search, indexing etc.).

It is impossible to make content first strongly encrypted, and then expect services like OCR and search indexing performed on this data. The necessary breach of encryption for the services create a loophole that can not be avoided nor fixed.

From a security and coding POV, you may be right @PinkElephant, and you’re no doubt much more of an expert than I. But from a user experience POV, it would be wonderful, and I don’t believe the purpose of this forum is to nix ideas. Is it not to raise user needs?

In any case, the notes and the login passwords need not be integrated in any way other than them being accessible in the same app. In fact, that’s not even a big deal. Perhaps simply having separate apps covered by the same monthly plan may suffice.

In any case, will leave this with the Evernote Product team to assess :)

• Level 5*
On 5/5/2021 at 3:57 AM, Smacs said:

store all my passwords in Evernote ... Bitwarden

I prefer to use extended password manager features   
Until this is implemented in Evernote, I  recommend a dedicated password manager service    
 I also use the BitWarden service

When storing sensitive data in Evernote, I recommend encryption   
Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I also use the native encryption in attachment files (pdfs, office documents, ...)