(Archived) GTD + Notes question (slightly OT)

CodeMonkey

Idea

I've been trying to implement GTD, and, for the inbox manager, I don't think there's anything better than Evernote.

I'm also probably going to be using OmniFocus for general workflow stuff.

But, I have one more niche problem, and I'm not sure how to best handle it. I need to keep track of a lot of open projects. Notes, data, etc. Something searchable, linkable, etc. Someplace where I can track the current status, and conversations for several projects / issues, so, when I start working on one, or when someone asks me a question, I can quickly come up to speed.

Have you guys had any luck using evernote like this? Or, could you suggest something else? I've looked into DevonThink, but, I don't need to store files, just simple notes. I'm thinking of just using markdown and text files at this point . . . .

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'm not sure I understand your system, but wouldn't a simple tag like "Open" that you use on open projects be of use?

There are other posts in the forum related to using GTD in Evernote. Maybe those might give you some tips.

~Jeff

Actually, I have the GTD stuff handled.

What I'm looking for is a way to generically handle note taking. For example, something like below:

Projects

Project A

Project B

Project C

Customers

Customer A

Customer B

Customer C

And, for example, for Customer C, I'd like to be able to enter some notes, so that I don't have to hold it in my head, preferably with hyperlinks: "Talked with Customer C about upgrading his system when Project B is released", etc.

• Level 5
Codemonkey wrote:

What I'm looking for is a way to generically handle note taking.

I'm not sure what you mean by "generically" handle note taking.

In Evernote, tags are definitely the way to go with your format. Just search for tag:"Customer C" tag:"Project B"

I would recommend a shorter tag format with no spaces (therefore no quote marks)

• Cust-Microsoft
    Proj-XBox

tag:Cust-Microsoft tag:Proj-XBox

... so that I don't have to hold it in my head, preferably with hyperlinks

If you are looking for a solution today, hyperlinks will not work.

I need to keep track of a lot of open projects. Notes, data, etc. Something searchable, linkable, etc. Someplace where I can track the current status, and conversations for several projects / issues, so, when I start working on one, or when someone asks me a question, I can quickly come up to speed. . .

Evernote is not really well suited for project management.

Perhaps others have devised better approaches, but the best I have been able to come up with is to create hierarchal tags for customers, projects, and even tasks if you need them. This would allow you to find all notes for a particular customer/project, but might not order the results in the way you desire.

Unfortunately there is no way to create a link to a Note that you could put into some other system, like an ERP and Project Management system.

I have evolved to using EN as my daily notebook (which replaces a physical notebook I used to keep on my desk) where I keep my personal notes about a customer/project/task as I am working on it throughout the day. Then, when needed, copy/paste the relevant parts I want to make public to the team back to my ERP system.

While some EN users don't seem to get the need for subnotebooks/subfolders, having a hierarchal folder system would greatly help in organizing my work, and that of many others. The new Notebooks Stacks (now in the Mac 2.0 Alpha client) helps, but it doesn't go far enough IMO since they can't be nested.

HTH.

Archived