Is there a Legacy Version for download?

• Evernote Expert

In Android you have to go via an APK repository. apkmirror is well regarded although some will advise against it since it isn't an officially supported option.  So you can use your favouriate search engine and download the apk if you are comfortable with the potential risk.

21 hours ago, agsteele said:

In Android you have to go via an APK repository. apkmirror is well regarded although some will advise against it since it isn't an officially supported option.  So you can use your favouriate search engine and download the apk if you are comfortable with the potential risk.

Thanks. I'll have to take the chance. I pay for this software and its unusable on my phone in its current state.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, whyisthissohard said:

I pay for this software

Actually the Evernote software is free.  Software updates are also free    
There are charges for the use of premium features

• Confused 2

Yes DTLow, but these paid features also do not work at all with official Android App: my offline notebooks are not downloaded correctly, and when, you cannot view the embedded pictures in your notes when offline and so on....just an example of the whole mess. I really understand every premium user wanting to switch back to legacy 8.13.3. It just works and is fast, premium features supported.

To all who want to revert, Evernote support shared a link to download legacy directly to another premium users in this forum:
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/4/2021 at 8:17 PM, Shadaab said:

Hi I'm unable to access this link. I'd like to revert to the legacy version as this version of Evernote is very buggy. 

Just checked the download, it is still available. Perhaps you could not install. It's done that way: After a complete sync uninstall. Restart your device, deactivate automatic updates on play store (important). Last step is to manually install the apk (you have to allow manual installations, Android will ask for this). If you keep the old APK in your downloads you can easily try out new versions later and - if necessary - roll back again if the bugs still haven't gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Just wondering what problems remain with V10? Since I got the update to 10.10 I haven't encountered a single bug.

Most users don't have v10.10 but I only have the Gboard interoperability issue in 10.9 and I'm hoping that will be fixed in 10.10 as you reported...

6 hours ago, Alxa said:

If 10.10 would resolve the image rendering bug, I would be glad. This one drives me crazy

Have you tried transferring the images which aren't displayed in Evernote to Android by another means and checking that the default image viewer can display them? Maybe there's something unusual about the image files.

Thank you for enabling me to get back to a version that actually works. I am now running the legacy version on my PC and the above android version on my phone and everything is right with the world. I am still amazed that a company that produces such an amazing product can get it so wrong and make their loyal users suffer so much with an inferior version (I refuse to call it an upgrade). Considering that the problems seem to be slow in being addressed I will just carry on using the earlier version for as long as possible. I refuse to be a guinea pig for a product that I pay for. 

On 5/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, ehrt74 said:

Have you tried transferring the images which aren't displayed in Evernote to Android by another means and checking that the default image viewer can display them? Maybe there's something unusual about the image files.

It is a bug experienced by several users. Support confirmed this to me as under investigation an Shane D. reopened the according thread. For me it is hitting on images of all notes no matter where they originate.

As I am also suffering from the extreme slowness of the 10.X app. I again rolled back all my devices to 8.13.3 and Evernote once again is a running working horse now. I am extremely frustrated about the failing Android development, no substantial progress to be seen after version 10 in the wild for over 6 months. If you compare the performance of 8.13.3 and 10.9 on same devices in parallel it is simply ridiculous. Nobody would chose 10.9 voluntarily based on this experience if you have to use (that is producing and editing with) the Android app on a daily basis. I don't care about table editing in slow motion or a fancy home screen (which costs another 5-10 seconds to load) if I can get a reliable and responsive Evernote with 8.13.3.

14 minutes ago, Alxa said:

It is a bug experienced by several users. Support confirmed this to me as under investigation an Shane D. reopened the according thread. For me it is hitting on images of all notes no matter where they originate.

As I am also suffering from the extreme slowness of the 10.X app. I again rolled back all my devices to 8.13.3 and Evernote once again is a running working horse now. I am extremely frustrated about the failing Android development, no substantial progress to be seen after version 10 in the wild for over 6 months. If you compare the performance of 8.13.3 and 10.9 on same devices in parallel it is simply ridiculous. Nobody would chose 10.9 voluntarily based on this experience if you have to use (that is producing and editing with) the Android app on a daily basis. I don't care about table editing in slow motion or a fancy home screen (which costs another 5-10 seconds to load) if I can get a reliable and responsive Evernote with 8.13.3.

Something is definitely wrong with your installation. Evernote opens in 2 seconds on my device and that after i've removed it from ram. I also have not had a single problem with images.

1 minute ago, ehrt74 said:

Something is definitely wrong with your installation. Evernote opens in 2 seconds on my device and that after i've removed it from ram. I also have not had a single problem with 

I read about your 2 seconds timing several times here and understand you are experiencing no problems - which is really nice. I would love to see this on my account as well. I have used En 10.x on several different devices running Android 10 and 11...all resulting the same issues. All issues confirmed by support with my raised tickets. They never told me, that my installation was wrong. They suggested rolling back to 8.13.3...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ok just found this post and installed this legacy version, what a relief! 

I have to say, they went about this rewrite all wrong, would have been better to make the legacy apps (web/mob) available (with disclaimer no further updates) and put them on a sticky thread in the forums to try and defuse the tension with your existing/paying/loyal customers. Even in the best case scenario users get very attached to how an app works so doing a complete UI rewrite is risky. "Basecamp classic" is an example where they followed this approach (https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3856-the-big-rewrite-revisited) of keeping the old version around and pushing the new version for new customers.

I know they kept the old web version around as I switched back to that but that got taken away a while ago also and only just now did I update my Android apps and got hit with this buggy and barely usable version.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, this link:

On 5/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Alxa said:
To all who want to revert, Evernote support shared a link to download legacy directly to another premium users in this forum:

is now an https:  https://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

• 1 year later...

Has anyone managed to install and use this version recently?

The https download worked for me (thanks), but when I enter my credentials it just sits on the logon page and CPU usage is just stuck at idle.

I already have 8.13.3 on my phone which works fine, and today v10 finally got me so ****ed off that I enabled sideloading (a biggy for me) and here I am.

I do have 15k+ notes (en on my phone uses 592mb of storage), so no problem if the first sync takes some hours, but I don't think it is logging in at all.

Edit: I gave up waiting and went through "sign in with Google" and allowed it to create a new account - worked instantly.

Edit 2: logged out of the new account and suddenly the login is working. Think it might have been a different login page - don't think it had the option to login with Google???

Edited by MP99
Status update
On 5/17/2021 at 5:01 PM, Alxa said:

I'll add that I'm baffled by this.

It can take minutes (yes, minutes) to open a simple note, or a notebook or tag, loses edits that you make, all while pinning my CPU at 100%. (4GB RAM, 8 core CPU.)

AFAICT, the conversation currently goes "you're ready to upgrade to the paid tiers? We fooled you, we aren't remotely close to providing a paid level of service."

Grrr.

I've tried reinstalling, and it clearly retains the data (possibly corrupted?) from the previous install because it takes no time on the initial sync. My first install got to about 5% sync after 24 hours, so something is horribly screwed up. Yes, I've turned off the android option that retains app setup during uninstall.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:34 PM, Alxa said:

After a complete sync uninstall. Restart your device, deactivate automatic updates on play store (important). Last step is to manually install the apk (you have to allow manual installations, Android will ask for this).

This one caught me out - v8 was "updated" to v10 overnight.

Auto-updating of en has now been disabled in play store settings (the three dot menu).

BTW, I'd strongly suggest not to disable auto-updates for every app, only for en specifically.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:05 AM, DTLow said:

Actually the Evernote software is free.  Software updates are also free    
There are charges for the use of premium features

You may be surprised to know this but the revenue they get from premium users is likely used to develop their "free" software.