Note closes on its own and goes back to home screen of Evernote when editing a note (Android)

Go to solution Solved by tordh,

Evernote is now pretty much unusable on my new Samsung S6-Lite tablet but not my Samsung S20 FE phone.

If I try to scroll my open note up or down the note closes.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Any fixes? 

Thanks tordh for the reply. 

I haven't figured out a way to fix this yet. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but that didn't  help.

I have found that if I scroll the note on the very side of it then maybe the note won't close.

Perhaps with your Premium subscription you can get help from Support. My Plus subscription doesn't  offer that benefit.

I will post here again if there are improvements, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hey Bud3,

I've done a bit of troubleshooting with support and this hack helps for me:

Open Evernote on your Android device > click on the three horizontal lines in the bottom left > click on the gear icon > click on notes > activate the edit protection (double tap in the note to edit)

On my device this works now 99% of the time, so it's not perfect. But it makes EN usable on the tablet again until they figure out the bug.

I hope it works for you!

• Thanks 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Note closes on its own and goes back to home screen of Evernote when editing a note (Android)
  • Shane D. pinned this topic

I did as you suggested, tordh and then tried to purposely make my notes close on their own, and after 15 or so tries my notes only closed once. Great work-around! Yes...Evernote is much more usable on my tablet now. Thanks for posting the fix.

Thanks Shane for letting us no you're working on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:13 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

This is an issue we're aware of, and are working to address it.

Also, I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the described issue.

I'll provide an update here once the issue has a been fixed.

In the meantime, per @tordh, here is a workaround that should temporarily fix the issue.

Please continue to let us know if you encounter this issue.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, tordh said:

Hey Bud3,

I've done a bit of troubleshooting with support and this hack helps for me:

Open Evernote on your Android device > click on the three horizontal lines in the bottom left > click on the gear icon > click on notes > activate the edit protection (double tap in the note to edit)

On my device this works now 99% of the time, so it's not perfect. But it makes EN usable on the tablet again until they figure out the bug.

I hope it works for you!

Hi there, 

It didn´t work for me. :-(

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this same problem on my tablet which has the lastest version of Evernote. Makes it unusable. Can't pull up a note because as I scroll, it closes. Luckily I have blocked updates on my phone so still using an old version of Evernote there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the latest version on Android as well and have found that it is increasingly glitchy, in much the way people are describing (app shutting down mid-note, etc. -- but also, photos uploading in completely random order, with no relation to the order in which I took them, etc.). I have used Evernote for archival research for about six years, and have loved it until recently. But these new glitches are making it basically unusable.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered the same or similar issue yesterday.   Trying to read a note on my android 11 (Samsung Galaxy Note) tablet with V10, the note kept closing and the screen would go back not just one step but past the specific notebook to the list of notebooks.  Took multiple clicks to open the note again, but it closed promptly while scrolling.

Rinse and repeat.   Maddening! 

Playing with the issue, I did notice that perhapsEvernote V10 (or is it Android?) is reading a gesture that may have a "hook" movement to it that it is interpreting.   It seems that scrolling down the page (an upward finger movement) with a slight hook to the right in the movement provokes the closing of the note.  Perhaps very careful scrolling,  avoiding any "hooking action" might avoid the unintended closing effect.

I am a paying customer but am not going to open a support ticket.  I was just trying out v10 again for a day.  I solved MY note closing issue by reinstalling the legacy Android version. 

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I'm still having this on Samsung Note20 with v10.16

It's broader than Shane's retitle of "editing". I can't even view a long note. I scroll down to try to get to the end and the note closes. I do not start the note editor; just view and scroll. Can't even get close to the bottom. It's useless.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 11:11 PM, Bud3 said:

Evernote is now pretty much unusable on my new Samsung S6-Lite tablet but not my Samsung S20 FE phone.

If I try to scroll my open note up or down the note closes.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Any fixes? 

Me too same case on my Tab S6 Lite

This bug was introduced to me with the new EN 10.19 too on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A ... had no probs with closing notes with prior versions of EN10. Although I though it could not...the app is now even getting worse. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, agsteele said:

I see many users with issues report that they are using Samsung devices. Is this a common issue connected to Samsung's version of Android 11?

Could be. I'm on that on an S20+ 5G and having similar issues: the notes scroll when I don't want them to and I get booted back out to the home screen if I happen to tab into another app while editing a note. Which is a giant PITA when trying to compile information from different apps into a coherent whole!

Oh, and it's not letting me copy, paste, or select the text I want to select, half the time, either. This new version of Evernote is driving me up the wall!!!

I'm finding that the Evernote app on my S20FE Samsung phone seems to be fixed re the note closing problem here discussed. But this problem still persists on my Samsung S6 Tablet. When I scroll the note with an upward swipe,  the note will still close, but only if there is also a movement of my finger, within the swipe, towards the right. Any swipe towards the right closes the note, and this is problematic. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, same problem on my OnePlus 6T and desktop version too.

Latest update is a real nightmare. I'm only using the good old legacy one on my PC. On my cellphone I'm giving up