Version 10.9 did not fix the freeze and black screen issue

I cannot use the Evernote App (Version 10.9) on my iPad (iPadOS 14.5) as it still freezes with a black screen while loading the app/my notebooks. I have uninstalled the app, restarted my iPad an reinstalled it, but that had no effect.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

On my side no issues at all regarding loading and function. 4 iOS devices, 2 of them will probably not see an update to iOS 15 (iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+). The only issue is that EN iOS 10.9 is running slow on the older devices, slow, but usable. It is ok for data retrieval and some clipping. I would not enjoy any more extended editing on these. iPhone 11 and iPad Pro 10.5 are working good, quite snappy.

An iPhone 6S has only about 1/10th the transistor count of an iPhone 12, so little wonder there is a gap in performance. EN v10 was obviously not designed to grant maximum downward compatibility (not saying this is good, just saying as it is).

About the black screen and loading problem: The app needs to do an initial download of basic data and the search index. If you had a prior installation of EN that was showing trouble, uninstall, confirm to dump all data and then switch the i-device completely off, wait a little and on again. Dumping the data will create an empty platform, leaving probably corrupted data can result in renewed problems after reinstalling.

Now download the app from the App Store, and install it. Best practice is after installing to open the app, log in and then let this initial sync go through undisturbed. It helps having a solid and reasonably fast internet.

After it has run it’s course and stops loading more stuff, if I had any prior problems, I would close the app and completely shut down the i-device again. This will clean out memory again - does not harm, maybe helps. When starting the Apple logo must show.

It is in any case good practice to switch each i-device off appr. once per week. It helps to keep it running smoothly. So in case of problems, sometimes shutting it down is enough to fix things.

Hi I'm having a similar issue. In my case is a white screen; probably black screen is related with the nocturne mode.

I use two IOS devices, iPhone and iPad, both devices are in english and have IOS 14.5 and Evernote version 10.9;

I'm using the basic license. I did some tests using wifi and mobile networks.

In web version, I did steps for "what is new"; but after that works fine. But it not solve ios version. 

I tried uninstall and install again with no success.

Thanks 

Eduardo

I have found the cause of the problem on my iPad. I have reinstalled the app - same issue. Then I switched the language of the app from German to English. No issue. Back to German. Again it freezes. Back to English and it works well again.

• Thanks 1

On all my iOS devices I can get it to load one note, but then if I try to switch to another note, it just goes black with the perpetual spinner of nothingness.

Changing to German and back to English didn't change anything for my iPad or iPhone 12 promax, still can only open first note picked, nothing after that.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to migrate out of EN, note by note. Its a shame this app has become totally useless. The couple times I tried support they treated me like an unpaid beta tester, very nice, but so many questions! Did you try this, did you try that? Maybe they've just bloated the hell out the product, and only use brand new totally empty ipads for testing.