Exported all notes to HTML: now what?

Hello, I exported all my notes to HTML but now I need to organize them. Unfortunately Evernote does not put a date and time stamp in the note nor do they include which notepad the note came from. This is very unfortunate and, if you ask me, a major oversight. At any rate, I'm wondering if there's anyway I could somehow merge all of the HTML documents into one single PDF or Word document and, as a bonus, maybe even have them chaptered by notebook name? (That is, assuming the notebook name is in the meta-data)? I looked at the source code for the HTML file and I don't see a notepad name, although I do see a notepad ID number. Not sure how I could ever correlate that with the original notepad name? So frustrating. At any rate, I would be grateful for your solution ideas. Thank you kindly

• Level 5*

Hi.  What are you trying to do?  You have exported your notes outside of Evernote,  at which point I think Evernote might have decided that any future organisation of the content would not be their concern.  The Legacy version of Evernote has more export options, but in both versions the way to keep your notes in notebook order is to export each notebook individually into a separate folder.  If you wish to sort your notes into categories it's easier to do this within Evernote and then export them...   

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, MJ17 said:

Unfortunately Evernote does not put a date and time stamp in the note nor do they include which notepad the note came from.

Confirmed - Evernote does not transfer dates to the MacOS file system   
Also missing is tags   
(On my Mac, this information is stored within the note's html code)

To maintain notebook assignment, we recommend separate exports for each notebook   
If I was trying to organize using the MacOS file system, I would use529920790_ScreenShot2021-04-28at16_26_46.png.2e3b7aefa78d1067c819000b5df648c7.png an applescript to transfer the dates and tags to the OS file metadata

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed - Evernote does not transfer dates to the OS file system   
Also missing is tags   
(On my Mac, this information is stored within the note's html code)

To maintain notebook assignment, we recommend separate exports for each notebook   
If I was trying to organize using the OS file system, I would use529920790_ScreenShot2021-04-28at16_26_46.png.2e3b7aefa78d1067c819000b5df648c7.png an applescript (Mac) to transfer the dates and tags to the OS file metadata

all dates and meta info are  added by windows EN

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, eric99 said:

all dates and meta info are  added by windows EN

That's interesting    
I hope we see the same when Evernote adds .html export to the v10 product

If Evernote wants to get back on track, this is another issue they need to address with COURAGE.

The whole approach should be to enable EASY exporting of ALL data in ways that can be utilized in other apps.

If the approach feels like "you want to hold me hostage with my data being stuck", then I'm not really interested in putting it there in the first place.

I'm saying this as someone with TWO Evernote premium accounts, one for personal project use and one for work.

• Level 5

… and from the release notes, EN v10.13 now is able to export HTML as well.

Plus some improvement on ENEX export, plus a new export submenu.

Have not tried it myself yet, this comes straight from the release notes.

• Like 1

I’m having a programmer develop a script for me that well consolidate all the notes by notebook, add meta data, consolidate, and create word docs (as separate notebooks). .I will let y’all know when it’s done. I will be glad to share it for a small fee (Hopefully I can recoup but I have to pay for this)

The script will grab all the HTML notes with the same notebook ID number, then print them all to a single word file. It will also add title, date, timestamp to the top of the note. Each note will be delimited  by horizontal rule in the word doc . So..

Note title , date, time 

note content 

———

Note title , date, time 

note content 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, MJ17 said:

then print them all to a single word file

But why do we want a single file?
I have over 10k notes - individual notes works well for me, with the notebook as a folder

Testing the latest export feature with html format   
I'd like to see the dates and tags converted to OS file metadata

• Level 5

Everybody can spend his money on what he wants to spend  it on.

Personally I don’t see any sense in such a project. The export options in v10 were just enhanced, there is still legacy with solid export that can be scripted. And MS Word Format is made for a word processor - this is a one way project, no way to get such content back into EN (or similar) without loosing relevant information.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, MJ17 said:

The script will grab all the HTML notes with the same notebook ID number

About the "notebook ID number"   
You will have to access the EN database to retrieve the notebook assignment   
Notebook info is not included in the exported data

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, MJ17 said:

What do you mean by access the EN database?

Evernote provides APIs for the direct access of the database   
Using this, I can access info not included in the exports, like notebookassignment

Another method is separate exports for each notebook   
I can trigger this using scripting in Evernote Legacy

lol @ “completely exotic” to expect the notebook name or ID to be attached to the exported note. If nothing else, thanks for the laugh today.

On second thought, I confess basic app features are indeed exotic to EN. If the feature doesn’t fit into their very small boxy idea of what their app should be, they freak out and act like you are asking for the world. I’ve never encountered such a narrow, stubborn, and anti-user-friendly app company. And that is why I have canceled my subscription. Have fun friends.

• Shane D. changed the title to Exported all notes to HTML: now what?