Evernote for Android version 10.9 release notes

• Level 5

Hi All,

Evernote for Android version 10.9 is now available. Version 10.9 is primarily a bug fix and stability release.

Fixed:

• Fix for issue where login can hang/freeze
  • Fix for issue with downloading images to the device
  • Fix for issue with audio not always recording properly if device screen goes to sleep
  • Misc. crash fixes
  • Additional performance improvements
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just updated to the latest version of Evernote on my Google Pixel 3 XL, and as far as I can see it's much slower now, almost unusable.

Which part of performance has been improved?

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, joki said:

I just updated to the latest version of Evernote on my Google Pixel 3 XL, and as far as I can see it's much slower now, almost unusable.

Which part of performance has been improved?

Same experience, remove and reinstall helps a little... this seems the default update method for Evernote on Android. Evernote is the only Android App I reinstall on a regular basis... don't know why but on all my devices the same experience, it is something with the app itself.  

• Sad 1
Em 28/04/2021 at 16:39, Shane D. disse:

Hi All,

Evernote for Android version 10.9 is now available. Version 10.9 is primarily a bug fix and stability release.

Fixed:

• Fix for issue where login can hang/freeze
  • Fix for issue with downloading images to the device
  • Fix for issue with audio not always recording properly if device screen goes to sleep
  • Misc. crash fixes
  • Additional performance improvements

The reminder notification bug needs to be resolved urgently. The bug has been around for a while! That discourages you from using it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why oh why did anyone think it would be a good idea to release 10.x before it was ready?

The previous version (8.1.3) was working fine. 

It is astonishing that the Evernote developers don't seem to be able to fix 10.x. 

I don't want to sound overly negative, but check the Play Store reviews. Evernote is "game over" unless the problems (speed) get fixed asap. 

😛

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
Guest arjanio

The desktop version works fine, but the latest Android versions sucks. I'm sorry to have to put it so bluntly. It looks nice and slick and all, but it's barely usable, like someone else already stated here. It takes incredibly long to load notes, and oftentimes they don't load at all. Evernote has proven extremely valuable to me over the years, but if this doesn't get solved any time soon, then I'm afraid I will have to consider alternatives. 

Installed new update on iOS and now the app is completely frozen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times. Sometimes it’s frozen on the login page and if I’m lucky, I can log in, but then it is frozen on the welcome page. Anyone have any solutions?  Thanks 

after update to 10.9 (its automaticlly updated) all my note can not open!!! I have used evernote for my job since 2013, its worst time now. I have sent request for supports many times get no answer at all. I even bought a new samsung pad to tried -  some problem! But I have tried mac ipad it is working. Must have some major bugs in the version 10.9 . before that no any problem.

WeChat Image_20210509182852.jpg

• Sad 1

I even bought a new samsung pad to tried -  same problem! can not open any notes!!! the only message is " note unavailable - unable to load this note. Please refresh the page or try again later."  but I have tried many android devices ( 2 phones 2 pads) all having same issue! even the old notes I have download to the devices before - can not open either! its in the phone but just can not open it - give the same messages: " note unavailable"

I'd like to come back to my earlier comment, posted on May 6, 2021: a couple of days later I decided to remove the Evernote app altogether. So I did. Next I restarted my mobile device and installed Evernote again. This seemed to have helped - knock on wood - the app is by no means as fast as the earlier version used to be, but at least now it's possible to actually view and edit notes. 

Bottomline: I suspect that going to the app store and simply choose to update it t doesn't cut it, it needs to be uninstalled and  reinstalled entirely. 

I was beta tester on Evernote since it first was announced. I now have more than 39K notes  that reflect business, personal and photography life. Now inaccessible and unusable.

I would rather uninstall 10.x and install 8, to use . As a matter of fact, that is what I do, every few days (2) to actually of some sanity to my note life. I bought an ethernet adapter for my Android othersie even 8.X synch would take days.

10.x doesn't update my notes.

Stupid idea to use 1/3 of prime android screen real estate to display "Home Black screen for date andtime" - who gives a fk about that! I can look at the top of my phone if I want to know.

Synch does not work. 10,9 can't sync any files later than april 4th. Hello its MAY idiots!

Completely unusable, never mind that you cannot do a search on the notes previous to April.

Support emails go unanswered.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Datarecovery said:

I was beta tester on Evernote since it first was announced. I now have more than 39K notes  that reflect business, personal and photography life. Now inaccessible and unusable.

I would rather uninstall 10.x and install 8, to use . As a matter of fact, that is what I do, every few days (2) to actually of some sanity to my note life. I bought an ethernet adapter for my Android othersie even 8.X synch would take days.

10.x doesn't update my notes.

Stupid idea to use 1/3 of prime android screen real estate to display "Home Black screen for date andtime" - who gives a fk about that! I can look at the top of my phone if I want to know.

Synch does not work. 10,9 can't sync any files later than april 4th. Hello its MAY idiots!

Completely unusable, never mind that you cannot do a search on the notes previous to April.

I don't have any of the problems you mention. Have you tried deleting all data and the cache and reinstalling?

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Datarecovery said:

I'm not aware of any direct Email route to contact support. Have you tried creating a support ticket evernote.com/contact and follow the additional support options? I find the support team to be very responsive.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:07 AM, ryhol said:

Why oh why did anyone think it would be a good idea to release 10.x before it was ready?

It is astonishing that the Evernote developers don't seem to be able to fix 10.x. 

I don't want to sound overly negative, but check the Play Store reviews. Evernote is "game over" unless the problems (speed) get fixed asap. 

😛

I would advice, go to https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-3-release/   and reinstall an older version on your smartphone. Then unable the automatic updates in Google playstore, otherwise you have to reinstall evernote every other day.

• Like 2
On 5/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, ehrt74 said:

I don't have any of the problems you mention. Have you tried deleting all data and the cache and reinstalling?

Seriously, is this your proposition? this can be a work around for days, but certainly not longer.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, ChBuenger said:

Seriously, is this your proposition? this can be a work around for days, but certainly not longer.

You should only need to do it once. Maybe something got overlooked in one of the numerous updates.

Is there anyway to install Evernote Legacy on my Android phone?  I am able to on my PC, but not the phone. I use the phone to capture hand written notes to store in EN, but with the V10 slowness it is taking me 2-3X the time to accomplish what I used to do quickly in the Legacy app. Tell me we can find a place where we can add EN Legacy to our phone apps!

On 5/2/2021 at 9:07 PM, ryhol said:

😛

And your post was 18 days ago. Still no fix. Is Evernote trying to self-destruct and/or be sold at lowest possible value? And no follow-up from staff here or anywhere else? Maybe they see the writing on the wall, too. I don't get it otherwise.

For fun, I scanned through all of the recent Google Play reviews and I couldn't find a single positive review out of dozens, perhaps hundreds, of them. Even the worst of apps usually have some positive reviews lol. It is truly breathtaking to watch unfold.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:37 PM, HTMT said:

I would advice, go to https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-3-release/   and reinstall an older version on your smartphone. Then unable the automatic updates in Google playstore, otherwise you have to reinstall evernote every other day.

Thanks for this.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

The typical release cycle during the last months is appr. 1 release per month.

It is not assured that each bugfix will make it into the next release, depends on when it was reported and how complex it is to fix it.

So read the release notes to learn what is inside of the box, whenever a new update is released.

On 5/21/2021 at 4:42 AM, shadowmoses said:

And your post was 18 days ago. Still no fix. Is Evernote trying to self-destruct and/or be sold at lowest possible value? And no follow-up from staff here or anywhere else? Maybe they see the writing on the wall, too. I don't get it otherwise.

For fun, I scanned through all of the recent Google Play reviews and I couldn't find a single positive review out of dozens, perhaps hundreds, of them. Even the worst of apps usually have some positive reviews lol. It is truly breathtaking to watch unfold.

Thanks for this.

The fact that you couldn't find a single positive review should make you suspicious.

Evernote 10 works fine for me - much better than Evernote 8 for Android, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Edit:

Just looked at the (german) play store reviews.

There are 2 different types of reviews. These are bunched together.

The pattern is: about 50 with between 350 and 450 letters.

then about another 50 with between 80 and 120 letters.

They are all written by people with one first name and one last name each with the first letter capitalized (and only the first letter).

Conclusion: the reviews have obviously been spammed.

• Like 1

Same story here. Apart from being slow, which even raises no emotions anymore, latest Android app :1) fails to sync new notes; 2) is unable to show notes; 3) silly bugs in notebooks view etc-etc-etc. Tried to clear the data and comletely reinstall app several times. No effect. Happens on several device, one of which is brand new. The app is unusable. Management should really pay close attention to the mobile android team. I guess, somebody just traded in speed, stability and realiability for fancy new technology and useless features at user's expens.

Screenshot_20210522-231847_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210522-231747_Gallery.jpg

End of May and no fix for the latest Android versions yet ? Unsound synch, notes creation and capture disabled are here to stay forever ? Can we hope any positive news soon ou should we consider that Evernote for Android is running for best business self-destruction case ? App already below 4 score in french playstore...

On 5/22/2021 at 12:25 AM, ehrt74 said:

The fact that you couldn't find a single positive review should make you suspicious.

Evernote 10 works fine for me - much better than Evernote 8 for Android, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Edit:

Just looked at the (german) play store reviews.

There are 2 different types of reviews. These are bunched together.

The pattern is: about 50 with between 350 and 450 letters.

then about another 50 with between 80 and 120 letters.

They are all written by people with one first name and one last name each with the first letter capitalized (and only the first letter).

Conclusion: the reviews have obviously been spammed.

That's true. Never really thought about it from a spam perspective. I'm programmed to be on the lookout for fake Yelp reviews, fake Amazon reviews/ratings, Reddit brigading, etc., but it never struck me to apply the same discerning eye here despite my surprise. Then again, I'm not a big phone user.

I reckon a bit of bias was also in play, as I've always had some issues with Evernote on my phones despite other apps working just fine. Some of my notes are rather big, however, so that's likely partially my fault.

Out of curiosity, what would be the vague "normal"/non-extreme range of values you would expect for the above observations?

Scrolling through the german play store there are quite differential postings in the comments when you look at it in a chronological order of the last weeks / months. The major problems people complain are quite real and not fake - all in all it's quite well earned. Although I would better love to see growing 5 five star ratings when EN would finally do better..... EN sadly has gone very quiet with Android...looooong way to go. 

• Like 3

I am using Samsung Note 10 Lite with Android 11... after new version update my notes would not open... even those in downloaded notebooks... 

1) I uninstalled app then installed old version 8.3 ...  notes still would not open

2) I then updated app to new version 10 and now I am able to open my notes...

I am thinking uninstalling app then re-installing app is what worked for me... so I would suggest to others having problems with new version would be to uninstall app, restart phone, then install new version...

Good luck 🙂

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 8:37 PM, HTMT said:

Not sure where in Google Playstore to do that, at least not imeediately/ Will Google it. Thanks 

• Shane D. unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, LJPF said:

End of May and no fix for the latest Android versions yet ? Unsound synch, notes creation and capture disabled are here to stay forever ? Can we hope any positive news soon ou should we consider that Evernote for Android is running for best business self-destruction case ? App already below 4 score in french playstore...

End of July, and no news on fixing the issues described above (and notably capture with camera) ? And the ONLY news I receive in my email box is : "Oh btw, we got new subscription plans" (and 80% increase !). Are you kidding ? 

15 of the 25 last comments on french Android App store are one star., score at 3.8. For my part, old app downloaded on an apk site (still working perfectly, even not maintained!!!) and two months on manual update for all the rest of my Android 11. Is this going to last forever ? Is anybody from EN reading here ???

• Like 1
19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About your last question: The forum is user to user. To contact EN, use the feedback function or send a support ticket.

I already got in contact with the support. Even Did a video for them. Told me they couldn't resolve this issue and that they were working on it. That was 3 months ago and no news since then. And Shane D at the beginning of this post is not a user. That's why I am asking here When EN will release an Android Version which is not beta, and that is effectively working on capture with camera? Is really that too much asking when you've been a paying subscriber since 10 years ? 

• Evernote Expert

@LJPF Of course it isn't too much to expect support but for paying subscribers that route is via a support ticket.  Yes, staff do come around - especially to make announcements - but at the top of almost all the forum areas is the following (taken from this Android sub-forum)

Evernote for Android Issues (Versions 10.0 and above)

Get community-based help for the new Evernote Android (Versions 10.0 and above).

Your fellow users do their best to help and we have broad enough shoulders to absorb an occasional rant but chances are it won't find a staff response...