In-note table of contents

EvernoteUser456

Idea

I think Evernote lacks a feature to add in-note hyperlinks for titles so i could create an index for a single note instead of doing it only with notebook.

While taking notes for college I always end up with notes that have many headings and sections for a single class (not talking about an entire course, but a single day/lesson). It annoys me to have to scroll through that long note just to look for a title when I could have a table of contents at the beginning of the note.

I know I can create a notebook and add a table of contents for each note in that notebook, but it's not the same; the app gets really messy doing it that way. Also, if I have to break those long notes into shorter ones, I would have to spend a lot of time doing a lot of non-sense work while I could spend that time studying (reading the notes).

Thanks in advance and sorry for any grammatical errors, i hope you could understant this.

7 replies to this idea

I fully agree ,  other note taking apps can do this ; it's sometimes annoying to browse a long note without an internal TOC.

There used to be a thrid party service that allowed to cretae internal TOC,  but it dissapeared 

Frustrating,  we hope it comes one day 

@gazumped no,  I was talking about  EATags - https://eatags.com (  if you cklick now,  it sends you to a website not related ,  it doesn't work anymore ) 

It was pretty simple,  just prefixing with one or several #  and then adding an eat tag ,  then the TOC  was built  . It was simple , and not as the typical Notion option to collapse line of text into compacted blocs 

I agree with you about long notes,  but in any case , we always have the EN recycling bin ,  to delete a note,  you have to delete two times .

But still ,  I think  the text collapsing feature could be a great option 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, EvernoteUser456 said:

I think Evernote lacks a feature to add in-note hyperlinks for titles so i could create an index for a single note instead of doing it only with notebook.

Requested (many times) previously.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Claudiofpiga said:

There used to be a thrid party service that allowed to cretae internal TOC,  but it dissapeared 

If you're thinking of Filterize,  it's still around and (I think) still offers the same internal bookmarks option - but the website is down,  so I can't check!

It does offer an automated table of contents feature which generates an Evernote style ToC for a selection of notes based on tags or keywords which makes it easy to work with short notes and link them together with tags or titles to the same effect.

I hate working with long notes,  because all your proverbial content eggs are in one fragile basket.  One fumble-fingered command could delete everything.

Several short notes at least mean that a single mistake can't erase all your work...