How do I get rid of the new widget based homepage

Today I opened android evermore and a strange new interface appeared. I am a simple user.  I have been so.for 10 years.  I want evernote to open in the plain vanilla notes format.   i do not want or need this odd, apparently widget based page that is apparently meant for premium users, as my home page.  How do i turn this new home page off permanently! 

It took a lot of time and effort to find out how to get to the old notes format.  I want that to be my default home page. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...

For me this is annoying as hell. Evernote is really going down with their policies. They are forcing users to use what the developers like and not the users. How can you you redesign the way people access their notes and not only force it without opting out, but also make the changes only for premium. I’m not a free user, I’m a plus user so I also pay for this. Terrible idea.

I’ve been fighting for the past two or three upgrades because I’m also being forced to use auto format. Auto format off used to be an option and not anymore. I can’t understand why Evernote does not want to even have a setting for on-off. I’m using a Legacy version just because of this. And now with the new ridiculous dashboard. The worst feeling is that you are stuck, because you can’t just stop using an app you used for 10 years and have thousands of documents.

Evernote employees used to hang out in the forum and reply in a few hours, look for solutions. Not anymore. The new direction of the company is very disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

As long as I am here, it is a rare event when EN staff answers posts here. Probably they are busy with other jobs. Maybe back then, in the very long ago good or bad old days …

As a Plus user you are working based on an account that is no longer offered. It was communicated that it will stay restricted to the features it had when it was abandoned.

IMHO you should not be surprised when new features bypass you as long as you stick with PLUS.

• Thanks 3

Not only do I have these annoying new widgets, I no longer can make multiple selections of notes.  So this no longer has an essential feature that the abandoned plus version had.  So whar you said about still having features from the abandoned version is not completly accurate!  I have the abandoned version on a tablet that still has Android 9.  Would that I had that on my Android 11 tablet.

Now if the notebook tree allowed more than two levels that would be a great help in organizing my information.  Three or four  would do it for me.  But somebody else might need more.  Why not give the customer the flexibility rather than limit the customer. 

Why not make the default notebook automatically be the opening notebook.  Or maybe put it at the top of the list.  or better yet, let the customer decide what notebook should be at the top of the list

Finally, the notes on the widget interface are worthless.  Part of a title, and the first two words of the note!  I am not impressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I just found this forum as we i was looking for a way to disable the new 'Home screen' and i'm glad I'm not the only who can't stand it.

It may have seem a good and user friendly UI idea,  but just gets in the way between me and my notes. The inability to edit  the layout without upgrading to Premium is AWFUL. Please give me a choice to disable it!  

I've been a happy 'Plus' user for 10 years and just don't (and never will)  need Premium for my low use. The only way my monthly fee will change is when it goes to zero when these changes force me to switch to Onenote, which is being heavily pushed by my work organisation and is available for free anyway, or one of the other free/low cost competitors.

Please stop this shameless upselling. For a company struggling to get new customers (in the face of massive competition) please consider treating your long time subscribers a little better.  My loyalty only stretches' so far.. before you force me to look elsewhere...  

The quality of the Android app has taken a nosedive since the recent refresh/redesign.
It's so much slower to open  and access my notes list (on my recent pixel device).  The useful 'quick capture' multi function single icon widget has gone too. I don't want or need a row of 5 icons taking up my phone's screen. 

PLEASE PLEASE reconsider the  new Homescreen direction.
If this homescreen turns up on either the Windows App or the web client then i'm afraid i'm out...

Thanks..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/17/2021 at 8:30 AM, PinkElephant said:

If you burry a simple request under that many words, it may go unnoticed:

Give me a setting that takes me directly to my notes when I open EN.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That's what I said but I was told there's a poll somewhere where we have to vote. Even though it says in the third post that the EN developers don't read their forum, we're going to vote???

• 2 weeks later...

I too hate (that is the right word) the Homepage Widget, it just gets in the way. I want my Notebooks and Notes. I already have a long list of Notebooks, Tag Folders etc... I don't need any widgets. Make the app the fastest it can be. Allow me at least to switch it off.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Home Page:  don't want it, don't need it.

Related annoyance:  I like my Evernote window in a certain location and size, which is different from the Home Page default location and size.  The next time I turn on my computer and launch Evernote, up comes the Home Page back in its default location and size, forcing me to move and resize the window—again, and again, and again.

Pretty much every Windows 10 program remembers its last size and location, and returns to that size and location the next time it's launched.  Why can't Evernote do that?

Evernote doesn't seem to care about loyal customers.  Waited patiently for years for new features without complaining.  Well looked at the behind the scenes series and showed understanding.  Now there are new features only for a higher fee.  Unbelievable.  New features are included with a subscription model.  Especially little things like an AND and OR search.  I am very disappointed and unfortunately no longer trust Evernote after 12 years of loyalty.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I suspect the ability to remove the new homepage will be enabled later.  This forces us to use the Home page for now and hopefully find it useful.  Evernote has a terrible track record in understanding what their users want and then keeping or developing these features.

My greatest frustrations over the last ten years have been software updates that take away functionality I use every day.  Goodbye smooth workflow, hello reinventing the wheel.

The only reason I still use Evernote is that I have found that the competition is terrible at automatically storing scanned documents, which is a big part of my workflow.

• Level 5
On 7/23/2021 at 1:52 AM, aceeros said:

...  Especially little things like an AND and OR search.  I am very disappointed and unfortunately no longer trust Evernote after 12 years of loyalty.

You are with EN for 12 years now, and I will show you a little trick that has worked for you for the last 12 years (and it still does):

Enter in the search field:

cat dog           = cat AND dog

will only find notes with both animals

any: cat dog   = cat OR dog

will find notes with any of the animals, and both

cat -dog          = cat NOT dog

will only find notes with cats not containing dogs as well

And all this works from the free accounts upwards, without any charge.

We all got another goodie with the new plans. EN introduced the CONTAINS parameter that allows for even more specific searches. As well for all accounts, no extra fee.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a return to archaic practices of computer geek culture.  These variations of regular expressions need to be redesigned so that ordinary humans can do these things without knowing anything about regular expressions or or opaque ways of formulating searches thatt geeks did in middle of the 20th  Century.  This reminds me of the days when if you did not know what to do at the command prompt on a computer you did not belong there.  Design for ordinary humans, not computer geek culture!

Design for the 21st century. Not the 20th century. I have been there. It pains me to see that parts of EN, which I have used for 10 year is still back there.

• Level 5

What is better ?

Just typing 2 words, without knowing ***** about what it does, and getting the results ?

Or using boolean (uhhhhh, sounds soooo sophisticated) arguments to set up a search ? Not as an option, but for all !

IMHO „Generation Google“ does pretty good with the simple search EN offers as a standard. Not comparable to RegEx, this is way more complex.

I agree that both of your examples are not good. And congratulation.to EN for deveoping a robust set of search options.   My.problem is, How can can somebody who knows nothing about obscure search syntax do a.complex search.  It has to be done so that somebody who is completely new to search can can easily compose a complex search without having to learn and memorize obscure arcane search syntax.   It is hard to do, but with talent, time, perseverence, and the right supervision and testing, it can be done.  But I do not think CorporatE EN is interested or willing.

And BTW, could we get spell check added to this message editor.

• Level 5

What about: Go to the help page of the EN (= vendors) website, search for search, read what you get.

It is not that anybody needs to reinvent the wheel, without a little help. Basic search (especially since v10 is around) works by entering word(s) and click on some filters, done. Nobody needs to understand the search syntax, although i helps.

The Boolean search is fine to build complex queries - but who really needs it ? I think the use cases are limited, and I have no problem it is restricted to Professional and Team (Business) users.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

And all this works from the free accounts upwards, without any charge.

This is awesome -- thanks for sharing.

I had https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax noted down, but I forgot about it.

It makes me wonder how many of the people griping about not having Boolean search unless they are Pro don't realize they can do these searches. Like -- if they don't even use the power of the search that they already have... do they really even need Boolean search?

But, to johnseidel's point -- it's not clear that you can do those kinds of searches in Evernote. But then, to be fair, I believe that's the same with a Google search though -- there are lots of ways to filter google searches that you can't get from the UI. (You'd think that people that want to learn advanced search techniques would do some online research into how to do it.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Beside spell checker checking there is auto correction correcting - always at our service, especially in cases like mine when the device is set to another language than English.

We are entering the KI age, but a simple thing like detecting which of several languages is meant, and applying system resources to support this choice is still beyond „machine learning“, it seems.

Q1. I do not see any any options for spell check.  Usually it seems like spell check is automatic. My browser is Firefox on a Samsung S5e tablet running android11 (lineage 18.1). If there is a way to get spell check, then thank you in advance.

2. How hard would it be to put a "search options" buton on the search page.  Why in the 21st century should I have to figure out where information important to the page is located.  I say make search options completely transparent.  Or minimally put a search options button on the search page that takes.me.directly to the inforrmation.   Right now search options are invisible.  And i find most contemporary online help system are, well :(.  

And BTW, the emoticons for this edit box are :(:(

• Level 5

On my iOS devices spell checking is integrated with the auto correction. It guesses words while I type, offers them above of the soft keyboard and replaces misspelled content. When there is no match and no replacement, a red underline appears. I assume Android has something similar.

About search: Search options are behind a button - just needs to be clicked to narrow down search results.

6DBDD978-2D76-48E7-BCBF-2ACFFC1AE29E.thumb.jpeg.4c4c1d216fac8231670316d7fb41f63d.jpeg

You can use it interactively, after searching it is beside other options in the 3 dots menu on the search results page.

The forum pages are driven by a backend I know from other forum sites as well. Are we really here to discuss the emoji selection ?