Jump to content

Android Evernote has been rendered 100% useless.


Recommended Posts

Evernote for Android has been rendered completely useless to me since the latest updates, starting 2 or 3 months ago,.

I mean so completely broken at the most basic level I am astounded that they released it.

Notes take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open — IF they open at all.

These could be OFFLINE notes, online notes (with a 200mbps connection speed), or starting a NEW note.

More than half the time I have to keep going back, tapping the note again, going back, tapping again 3 or 4 times to get a note to open.

THEN if I open ANY existing note for ANY reason and make ANY edit to it whatsoever...

NOTE CONFLICT / NOTE CONFLICT / NOTE CONFLICT every single time,

So now I have at least 3 copies of every single note file I ever open in the app.

It has gotten so bad that if I have a note file I need to APPEND and all I have is my phone — I have to open a NEW NOTE to make a NOTE TO MYSELF to APPEND THE F-ING NOTE when I am at my laptop running a stable version of Evernote.

You guys totally F-D me on a project with this nonsense and I am finally ditching this paid account and migrating to a new note taking suite.

Evernote is complete GARBAGE.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

Evernote for Android has been rendered completely useless to me since the latest updates, starting 2 or 3 months ago,.

I mean so completely broken at the most basic level I am astounded that they released it.

Notes take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to open — IF they open at all.

These could be OFFLINE notes, online notes (with a 200mbps connection speed), or starting a NEW note.

More than half the time I have to keep going back, tapping the note again, going back, tapping again 3 or 4 times to get a note to open.

THEN if I open ANY existing note for ANY reason and make ANY edit to it whatsoever...

NOTE CONFLICT / NOTE CONFLICT / NOTE CONFLICT every single time,

So now I have at least 3 copies of every single note file I ever open in the app.

It has gotten so bad that if I have a note file I need to APPEND and all I have is my phone — I have to open a NEW NOTE to make a NOTE TO MYSELF to APPEND THE F-ING NOTE when I am at my laptop running a stable version of Evernote.

You guys totally F-D me on a project with this nonsense and I am finally ditching this paid account and migrating to a new note taking suite.

Evernote is complete GARBAGE.

I have no idea what's going on. Evernote opens and loads a note in about 2 seconds on my Galaxy S20. Have you tried clearing the cache and/or reinstalling?

Link to comment
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

Evernote for Android has been rendered completely useless to me since the latest updates, starting 2 or 3 months ago,.

Like @ehrt74, I'm not experiencing any of the issues you raise. If the cahce clearing suggested doesn't work then you could raise a support ticket. They are answered quite speedily at the moment. It might provide a solution. You will need to say which device you are using and which version of Android is installed.

Link to comment

The slowness isn't my biggest issue. It's the fact that every single time I open an existing note it automatically creates a CONFLICT version of the note and then I end up with 6 copies of the note (with each one having a slight difference that is impossible to figure out and put back together).

Link to comment

The fact that the review panel on the Google Play store is a never-ending scrolling list of ONE STAR reviews now *(and people complaining about the same problems I am) proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Evernote knows their app is a pile of junk and that they have ZERO intention of caring about it (as usual).

The app has just gotten to the point they finally motivated me to move on — but this tool has been an integral part of my workflow for over 10 years so that's not an easy task.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

The slowness isn't my biggest issue. It's the fact that every single time I open an existing note it automatically creates a CONFLICT version of the note and then I end up with 6 copies of the note (with each one having a slight difference that is impossible to figure out and put back together).

 

1 hour ago, Gazebo said:

I am getting slow loading issues - 23 seconds to open app. Caches cleared, tried reinstalling didn’t improve things.

As suggested, have to opened a support ticket? These forum are designed to be users helping other users. It seems that what has been offered for you isn't the answer you need. The support for Premium users by opening a ticket has to be the best approach. You will need to say which device and version Android you are using.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, agsteele said:

 

As suggested, have to opened a support ticket? These forum are designed to be users helping other users. It seems that what has been offered for you isn't the answer you need. The support for Premium users by opening a ticket has to be the best approach. You will need to say which device and version Android you are using.

Is it even possible to open tickets for Free Users?  Search Help for Contact I was shunted to the Forums and online Help.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5
On 4/24/2021 at 11:18 PM, Pete Note said:

Is it even possible to open tickets for Free Users?  Search Help for Contact I was shunted to the Forums and online Help.

I believe that there is a way to break out of the circle for Basic users but you are correct that it isn't made easy. I suppose, not unreasonably, the focus is on supporting those that pay for the service. Basic users are confined to peer support with all its limitations.

Link to comment

I'm a payed user . Support the app. But I'm feeling betrayed.  It seems like Evernote 10 is a beta released very early to its users. I'm trying to find a replacement app to integrate in my daily workflow,  but I'm with Evernote since the beginning. And as someone said, change is not easy...

Link to comment

I have a premium account but I don't have time to deal with some tech support douche in India reading a script from his screen when I can do a google search to bring up the same result he/she got.

I did dump the app, empty the cache, data, re-installed it.

The app is still a broken hot mess — BUT it does seem to allow me to open a note and make an edit without creating an automatic conflict and saving a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, copy of the note.

However notes take up to a minute to load, EVEN when they are marked as offline notes. In fact sometimes they never appear and you have to go back, click again, go back, click again over and over until it finally loads the note.

Notes with images in them? FORGET IT...

Notes with images in them no longer load on the android app.

Have a note that you placed a FILE INTO so that you could download said file on another device?

FORGET IT — they removed the ability to download the attached file to a note, all you can do is click on it and view it.

There are so many things in my workflow that Evernote has TRASHED in the last few months that I've already made some progress shifting the burden of some of my workflow onto other apps.

I don't think there is ONE suitable replacement for Evernote — BUT if I seek a good replacement for each individual use-case I rely on Evernote for I am pretty sure I will be happier in the end — especially when I am not paying Evernote to keep making their software worse.

Link to comment
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

I have a premium account but I don't have time to deal with some tech support douche in India reading a script from his screen when I can do a google search to bring up the same result he/she got.

Curious, I don't believe I've ever had Evernote support from someone in India - douche or not. Perhaps not your finest contribution in the heat of frustration ;)

I don't have any of the issues you report. All my notes with images open just fine in Android. I just a moment ago opened a note containing a document. Clicked that and it opened and I was able to send the note (icon in top right corner) to whichever application I wanted including saving to spaces like Google Drive, Dropbox or opening in an editor to make changes and save elsewhere.

Neither do I have the multiple copies of notes issue that you report along with others. That, I suspect, may be down to the way I work with Android and desktop but I know it seems to be a problem for some.

What I do agree is that the workflow that we have been accustomed to is mostly broken. Things can be done but not in the way we have been used to. My use of the Android app is reatively limited and modest. It isn't my primary interface with Evernote.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The reason most of the apps you use are broken are...

1. The definition of "MVP" has changed from "Most Valuable Player" to "Minimum Viable Product" and that is the stated goal of all software teams now.

2. They fired all of their testers and replaced them with customers. The apps get released full of bugs because some manager said it would be ok.

3. They replaced their customer support with a "user forum" where a bunch of unpaid "fan boys" do it for free instead.

Big Tech has been infiltrated by communists, so what you are witnessing is what happens when communism takes over an industry. Individuals with good ideas, attention to detail, and skills are pushed out of the market — or are talented enough that they just quit that environment and go off to do something worthy of their gifts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/27/2021 at 5:13 PM, DrunkenCyclist said:



There are so many things in my workflow that Evernote has TRASHED in the last few months that I've already made some progress shifting the burden of some of my workflow onto other apps.

I don't think there is ONE suitable replacement for Evernote — BUT if I seek a good replacement for each individual use-case I rely on Evernote for I am pretty sure I will be happier in the end — especially when I am not paying Evernote to keep making their software worse.

I assume you are more frequent user of the Android app maybe. I can understand that the new app then breaks one's neck, it is really not ready for doing work on the go. If I would rely on the app for business reasons, sticking to EN 8.13.3 might be a reasonable solution for you. Compared to the overall performance and stability of version 8.13.3 the new version EN 10 has just started the long way to maturity. You could revert manually by downloading the last stable version 8.13.3 from an archive link Evernote support offered to another user with comparable massive issues here in the forums.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

May be this can give you peace of mind! Stay safe.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment

I think it is reasonable to expect that if I open up a note on the android app, that the note should open.

It is also a reasonable request to expect that if I change a note that it synchronizes with the cloud properly so I can open it back up on another device.

That's pretty much how Evernote used to work. And those are really the only 2 things I complained about.

Link to comment
On 4/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Alxa said:

I assume you are more frequent user of the Android app maybe. I can understand that the new app then breaks one's neck, it is really not ready for doing work on the go. If I would rely on the app for business reasons, sticking to EN 8.13.3 might be a reasonable solution for you. Compared to the overall performance and stability of version 8.13.3 the new version EN 10 has just started the long way to maturity. You could revert manually by downloading the last stable version 8.13.3 from an archive link Evernote support offered to another user with comparable massive issues here in the forums.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

May be this can give you peace of mind! Stay safe.

 

Link to comment
On 4/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Alxa said:

I assume you are more frequent user of the Android app maybe. I can understand that the new app then breaks one's neck, it is really not ready for doing work on the go. If I would rely on the app for business reasons, sticking to EN 8.13.3 might be a reasonable solution for you. Compared to the overall performance and stability of version 8.13.3 the new version EN 10 has just started the long way to maturity. You could revert manually by downloading the last stable version 8.13.3 from an archive link Evernote support offered to another user with comparable massive issues here in the forums.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

May be this can give you peace of mind! Stay safe.

You are a lifesaver! I've been a Premium user for close to 10 years, and the last few months have been hell. Nothing would save on my Galaxy S10, but I could read anything synced with my Windows 10 laptop. I starting saving web-generated stuff to SimpleNote, then clicking on them from the laptop and saving to Evernote.

Your suggestion worked. I had to uninstall the latest version first, then was able to install the version you linked to.

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another thanks to Alxa from an exclusively android app user (and paying subscriber.)

The v.10.9 update was the last straw after months of barely limping along. With 10.9, newly added photos aren't retained and disappear from both new or edited notes  (possibly the trade-off for existing photos now rendering consistently?)

Plus the slowdown is worse and crashes more frequent.

Opening support tickets hasn't been fruitful yet so decided to roll back for a while. Within moments of coming to the forum, I found Alxa's post with the v.8.13.3 apk... thank you!

P.S. I was relieved to see the duplicates of notes and notebooks (30+ of my default notebook) disappeared after rolling back.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:28 AM, Alxa said:

I assume you are more frequent user of the Android app maybe. I can understand that the new app then breaks one'san neck, it is really not ready for doing work on the go. If I would rely on the app for business reasons, sticking to EN 8.13.3 might be a reasonable solution for you. Compared to the overall performance and stability of version 8.13.3 the new version EN 10 has just started the long way to maturity. You could revert manually by downloading the last stable version 8.13.3 from an archive link Evernote support offered to another user with comparable massive issues here in the forums.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

May be this can give you peace of mind! Stay safe.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I have never experienced note duplication, but I totally agree with you that the latest Evernote client is 100% useless..

The latest Evernote client is 100% useless. Using it is 100% waste of time.  Use V8 apk and forget about V10.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Would appreciate some HELP.

I made the scarey mistake of allowing multiple UPDATES on my OnePlus 8 Android phone... which replaced my android EN v. 8.33 to v.10.

The syncing feature alone is so slow as to be rendered unacceptable.

QUESTION
Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to install the LEGACY android v. 8 APK
.

(My phone is refusing to install this APK.)

Thanks much in advance.

~ Alan

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Hello:

Would appreciate some HELP.

I made the scarey mistake of allowing multiple UPDATES on my OnePlus 8 Android phone... which replaced my android EN v. 8.33 to v.10.

The syncing feature alone is so slow as to be rendered unacceptable.

QUESTION
Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to install the LEGACY android v. 8 APK
.

(My phone is refusing to install this APK.)

Thanks much in advance.

~ Alan

I'm not sure if this helps, but you have to uninstall the current version first. It's worked multiple times on my Galaxy S10. 

Link to comment
After a complete sync uninstall. Restart your device, deactivate automatic updates on play store (important). Last step is to manually install the apk (you will have to allow this on android if asked). If you keep the old APK in your downloads you can easily try out new versions later and - if necessary - roll back again if the bugs still haven't gone.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ab1kenobee said:

Thank you, Wesihcfan.

I need 100% CERTAINTY to get it right the 1ST time.

~ Alan

I can't guarantee it *will work*, but can guarantee it *won't work* without uninstalling v.10 first. Every time I've done it it takes about 10 minutes to resync my 18,000+ notes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Wesihcfan said:

I can't guarantee it *will work*, but can guarantee it *won't work* without uninstalling v.10 first. Every time I've done it it takes about 10 minutes to resync my 18,000+ notes.

Hi. I understand it is required that v.10 be UNINSTALLED.

What is not clear to me is... will uninstalling v.10 allow my android phone to next properly install the Legacy v.8.13.3 APK ?

Thanks.  ~ Alan

Link to comment
  • Level 5

In an OS as crooked as Android (talking about missing updates, manufacturers addons, and divergent hardware) nobody can probably guarantee 100% that a manual action like installing a not supported version in an unsupported way will turn out with success.

You will have to do it to find out. V10 must first be uninstalled. If in the end it does not work out, you can always go back to install v10, even if it is of little use for you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

I need 100% CERTAINTY to get it right the 1ST time.

Hi Alan,

Nobody here is going to offer you the 100% assurance you seek. We're all fellow travellers sharing the insights that we have. Especially when installing an application from an apk you are stepping out from the normal mode of operation. I fer you have to take some risk. The worst that can happen is that you fid that v8 fails to work and you uninstall and then reinstall v10.

All I would say is that the advice provide by others is what you can expect. It will almost certainly do what you need. Personally, I'm running Evernote 10 on a OnePlus 8 and it works just fine but clearly YMMV and apparently does.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I get that software development is hard. It's what I do for a living. This is how I know that their sloppy BS is due to a lack of proper testing, and the project managers cramming in one "new feature" after the next, without any regard for quality. That's how it is at 90% of software companies now. I'm ditching this whole career because I can't stand it.

Just last weekend I ended up with 5 copies of the same f-ing note all labeled "conflict" with ZERO way to tell which one is which other than using a f-ing DIFF MERGE tool outside of evernote to figure out which pieces of text I need to keep from each of these 4 files.

You cannot edit a note on Android that you've edited somewhere else without it creating a conflict.

Now I have to make a new F-ING NOTE to make a NOTE TO MYSELF to "ADD THIS NOTE to your OTHER NOTE when you're at a laptop" instead of trying to edit a note directly with the android app.

That's completely unacceptable and I guarantee you that this thread will be 10+ years long and 900 pages of complaints about that broken bug alone without this company bothering to fix it.

Link to comment
On 6/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, agsteele said:

Hi Alan,

Nobody here is going to offer you the 100% assurance you seek. We're all fellow travellers sharing the insights that we have. Especially when installing an application from an apk you are stepping out from the normal mode of operation. I fer you have to take some risk. The worst that can happen is that you fid that v8 fails to work and you uninstall and then reinstall v10.

All I would say is that the advice provide by others is what you can expect. It will almost certainly do what you need. Personally, I'm running Evernote 10 on a OnePlus 8 and it works just fine but clearly YMMV and apparently does.

Hello, agsteele:

Thank you for responding.

Regarding my comment about "100 CERTAINTY"... I have already made the ERROR of allowing ANDROID to update ALL apps... so I would like to AVOID making a 2ND error.

I decided to give Android EN v10 an unbiased chance... however its SYNCING is so delayed... 10-30 minutes... v10 is simply impractical for my purposes.

I would migrate to another app in a heart beat due to EN's subscriber and support mindset... however I have not found a Win 10 / Android note app that currently provides the comparable features available in Android Legacy v.8.13.3. Finding another app to migrate to is now a matter of SURVIVAL for my business needs... however irrational abondonement is not an option either.

I will UNINSTALL v10 and REINSTALL v.8.13.3... and report back in this thread.

Thank you much,  ~ Alan
 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh pain, oh suffering - what I don’t understand is why you don’t simply move on if everything is so bad ?!

I would migrate to another app in a heart beat due to EN's subscriber and support mindset... however I have not found a Win 10 / Android note app that currently provides the comparable features available in Android Legacy v.8.13.3. Finding another app to migrate to is now a matter of SURVIVAL for my business needs... however irrational abondonement is not an option either.

Link to comment
  • Level 5

In a Mac / iOS environment exist at least 2 alternatives, one probably more demanding & powerful (DEVONThink), one simpler, but functional (Apple Notes).

For Win/Android no idea. Whish you luck in identifying the best solution.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In a Mac / iOS environment exist at least 2 alternatives, one probably more demanding & powerful (DEVONThink), one simpler, but functional (Apple Notes).

For Win/Android no idea. Whish you luck in identifying the best solution.

WIN 10 / Android platforms... as in my SIG. 

THX.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, Alxa said:

If I would rely on the app for business reasons, sticking to EN 8.13.3 might be a reasonable solution for you. Compared to the overall performance and stability of version 8.13.3 the new version EN 10 has just started the long way to maturity. You could revert manually by downloading the last stable version 8.13.3 from an archive link Evernote support offered to another user with comparable massive issues here in the forums.

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/android/google-play/com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087.apk

May be this can give you peace of mind! Stay safe.

Thank you! You are a life saver!!

To be fair, I think the Windows version of Evernote 10 is close to be classified as possible to use (even though it was horrible in previous sub-versions). It is far from as nice, or as efficient, as Evernote 6.x. It is clearly made up by armies of "UI experts" wo only care for the new or infrequent users, and don't care of efficiency for power users and users with high volumes of notes. But, most likely I could live with it.

The Android version of Evernote 10, however, is TRULY HORRIBLE. A single note can take 20-80 seconds to open. The number of clicks required on a button in order for the button to actually react seems to be randomized, it takes between 1--4 clicks. The simple operation of moving a note from one notebook to another takes me about 10 clicks, having to wait about 10 seconds between each click.

Earlier today, I was browsing alternatives to Evernote, as I thought I was stuck with the not functioning Evernote 10 on Android.

Now, with Evernote Legacy on Windows, and the Evernote 8.13.3 APK on my phone, I feel brought back to life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, ab1kenobee said:

I would migrate to another app in a heart beat due to EN's subscriber and support mindset... however I have not found a Win 10 / Android note app that currently provides the comparable features available in Android Legacy v.8.13.3. Finding another app to migrate to is now a matter of SURVIVAL for my business needs... however irrational abondonement is not an option either.

 

Stay on Evernote v8 for Android

Search for a comparison Evernote vs. Joplin.

Other users have threads where they list supplements for Evernote. And Joplin ranks high, but you must check if it fits your needs. 

 

Free, Open software
 
 
(the only 100% sure thing is we will all die)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Angry said:

Stay on Evernote v8 for Android
Search for a comparison Evernote vs. Joplin.
Other users have threads where they list supplements for Evernote. And Joplin ranks high, but you must check if it fits your needs. 
https://joplin.cozic.net/

Thank you, I have looked at Joplin and receive their forum updates as well... 
however Joplin comes with many shortcomings as well...
not compelling enough. THX.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...