(Archived) Password on a note and subfolders

Hi all!!!! :)

I think that evernote is really a usefull program.

The only thing that I can't understand is: can I protect some notes with a password? (just like the toodledoo notes for example).

I frequently use evernote on macos-windows and iphone and if I want create a new note containing a credit card pin or other important and private informations, I'd like to have a pw protection on that note (only for any single notes or almost for a group of notes in a folder).

Another function that I hope you add soon is the possibility to create subgroups: for exmple a folder named Maps, a subfolder named Geographic Locations and any sub-subfolders that are named Rome Map, NY Map, My House Map, My Girl Map etc...)

Can I hope that you add these functions ASAP?

Thanks

Cippino

• Level 5

These issues have been discussed at great length. Use the search field and search for password or subnotebooks

You can encrypt the contents of a single note by selecting the text (dragging across) and right click and select "Encrypt Selected Text"

I think you should reconsider your plan for all those map notebooks. You will dig yourself into a hole. Evernote allows a maximum or 100 notebooks, but thousands of tags.

Try restricting yourself to just a few very high-level notebooks. For instance:

• Personal
    Work
    Entertainment
    Miscellaneous

And let TAGs do the legwork.

• Map_Boston
    Map_HongKong
    Map_London
    Map_Rome
    Map_Seattle

or even better for grouping:

• Map_China_HongKong
    Map_Italy_Rome
    Map_UK_London
    Map_USA_Boston
    Map_USA_Seattle

And while it has indeed been discussed to death, this is the ugliest aspect of Evernote. When, when will they ever give us sub-nootebooks, and raise the 100 notebook limit ? Tags are the pits.

I would suggest you read more on the use of tags. Tags work just as well as notebooks.

• Level 5
rwizard wrote:

Tags are the pits.

Yes, they can be a problem if you don't spend some time to understand the basic concept. But that can be said for most computer software.

Properly structured tags can be very helpful in data-mining.

• Level 5*
And while it has indeed been discussed to death, this is the ugliest aspect of Evernote. When, when will they ever give us sub-nootebooks, and raise the 100 notebook limit ?

No subfolders per se, at least any time soon. However, the Mac alpha has just rolled out with Notebook stacks, which serve a similar purpose. Other clients will follow. I don't know about the 100 notebook limit -- eventually it will need to be raised, I believe. You might roll on into that forum and check out some of the mac 2.0 Alpha threads.

Tags are the pits.

Unfortunately, at least for you, tags are a major part of Evernote's note organization facilities. If you're not fond of tags, or at least can't come to terms with using them effectively, then you'll probably spend a lot of time fighting Evernote.

~Jeff

The only thing that I can't understand is: can I protect some notes with a password? (just like the toodledoo notes for example).

While you can't currently password protect a Note, you can encrypt text within a Note. For details see Help > Online Help for the PDF User Guides.

Another function that I hope you add soon is the possibility to create subgroups: for exmple a folder named Maps, a subfolder named Geographic Locations and any sub-subfolders that are named Rome Map, NY Map, My House Map, My Girl Map etc...)

Based on the Mac 2.0 Alpha client it looks like a very limited form of "subfolders" or "subnotebooks" is coming soon to EN. The Mac client calls them "Stacks", and they cannot be nested, like folders on your OS. IMO, tags are not a substitute for folders or subfolders. There has been a running debate over tags vs subfolders for well over a year in this forum. You can search for "subfolders" or "subnotebooks" and similar concepts to find these threads.

While you can't currently password protect a Note, you can encrypt text within a Note. For details see Help > Online Help for the PDF User Guides.

Based on the Mac 2.0 Alpha client it looks like a very limited form of "subfolders" or "subnotebooks" is coming soon to EN. The Mac client calls them "Stacks", and they cannot be nested, like folders on your OS. IMO, tags are not a substitute for folders or subfolders. There has been a running debate over tags vs subfolders for well over a year in this forum. You can search for "subfolders" or "subnotebooks" and similar concepts to find these threads.

Grouped notes are also another thing that cannot be replaced by "Saved searches" too. :|

Hi all and thanks for the replays! :)

Ok for the encripted notes, is a useful feature.

I hope that will be extended at the nobebooks root (for example at all the notes contained in a private notebook).

I'm trying to study the tag function but it seems not so easy and quick like a real folders and subfolders management.

Other little things that I hope will be updated:

- when I open the iPhone version I see a insertion panel (new audio, new text ect...) but it seems that I can't decide the default panel (notes for ex)

- In the notes desktop I only see all the notebook togheter: may be bette if I could navigate in a single notebook ("maps" or "work" for example) selecting it on a left or pop up menu, in the same way I do on my mac

In eny cases, compliments for the beautiful program.

Cip :)

I've been using Evernote for a while now on laptop at home , Android while mobile, online at work.

For organization, I had used a bunch of notebooks. I realized over time that this is not the most efficient. So, I spent some time reorganizing - trying now to consolidate everything into one notebook (ok, or two), and extensively use tags. Now with Sub-tags, it makes it even better.

I've built some searches combining multiple tags.

Seems to work great.

Are there any performance issues on Windows if I put everything (thousands of notes) in one notebook?

Chandresh

• Level 5

I have 5,000 notes in one notebook and have not noticed any speed problem. They are web captures, including photos, of national and international politics and opinion pieces.

I believe the current Evernote limit is:

• 100,000 Notes total
    100 Notebooks
    10,000 Tags
    100 Saved Searches

Evernote 4.0 for Windows does a good job of increasing the speed. Scalability is important. That is why I am glad to see 3rd party companies via Trunk offer specialty services. This keeps down the amount of computer code used by the rest of us.

Archived