Please bring back Tabs on the desktop version.

Jake72

Idea

12 replies to this idea

@Jake72 don't get your hopes up... as made evident in this thread, Evernote clearly does not read these requests.
Otherwise their CEO would not have said [paraphrased] "We are not implementing tabs at this point... it was not a heavily utilized feature" in this YouTube interview.

Evernote's growing incompetence may force me to make a better version pretty soon!  I've tried dozens of notes apps and keep coming back to Evernote, which is unfortunate because it leaves much to be desired.

• Like 1

I can not believe they got rid of tabs on the (mac) desktop app. Are they completely insane? I use tabs all the time when I am multi-tasking. If I'm doing 3 things at once then I have 3 tabs open. I seriously dont know how i'm going to make this work without tabs because, lets face it, navigation between pages and notebooks is very clunky. I have been a Premium Subcriber for 7 years, but this could be the thing that pushes me over the edge to start using the dreaded "other product".

• Like 5
  • Level 5

Watched the interview ?

• Create the "tab" content as a separate window
  • Use the web client, creating several tabs running with EN web client
  • Use legacy
  • Hope they will change the position, introduce tabs one day.
  • Move on to "that other product".

That should pretty much cover it.

• Like 1

I switched over to use evernote because I needed a cross-platform (mobile/mac/windows/linux) note taking system. I was using a combination of markdown files + atom/vscode and folder sync software, but that didn't help with the mobile part. I seriously miss the tabbed interface of a desktop text editor. Switching between notes in evernote is a huge context switch that works against me.

• Level 5

There are some possibilities listed above. 

I would like to add the quick note switching through cmd-J, that makes a fast way to move around.

Or use the web client, you can open several tabs on the web client side by side. Hint: Currently is not supported in Safari, to use it you need another browser.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, scav_on_gelli said:

@Jake72 don't get your hopes up... as made evident in this thread, Evernote clearly does not read these requests.
Otherwise their CEO would not have said [paraphrased] "We are not implementing tabs at this point... it was not a heavily utilized feature" in this YouTube interview.

Evernote's growing incompetence may force me to make a better version pretty soon!  I've tried dozens of notes apps and keep coming back to Evernote, which is unfortunate because it leaves much to be desired.

The world needs a better version I would love a stable and simple, not taking app with all reasonable functions, that is all I want but I am still looking for it.

• Level 5

If you are the world … but you are not, you are just another user, like all of us. Like all of us you have your individual use cases and preferences.

Nobody can tell you which is the right app for you - this you need to find out yourself. But at the same time you can’t tell what app „the world“ needs.

To come back to this threads topic: Windows legacy never had tabs - and it always was a much larger chunk of „the world“ than Mac legacy, that had them.

So better find use cases that would benefit from tabs, than supercharging nostalgia.