Evernote for Android version 10.8 release notes

• Level 5

New:

• Home is now available on Android! It's a one-stop dashboard that puts the information you need front and center—neatly organized and instantly available.
  • Home consists of widgets that display your content in a convenient and streamlined view. All customers have a notes widget, a scratch pad widget, and a recently captured widget.
  • Evernote Premium and Evernote Business customers have additional widget options, as well as the ability to customize the appearance of their Home.
  • One of your most-requested features is here! You can now search inside PDF files. 
  • You can now apply search filters from the Notes view, to help you find what you need faster.Fixed:
  • We've made some adjustments so it's even easier for you to edit tables on your phone or tablet.
  • If you were viewing a long list of search results while in Snippet view, you would sometimes see a few false results at the bottom of the list.

Coming Soon:

• Search shared notes in Evernote Business via Work Chat.
  • Improving search functionality by giving it the ability to recognize differences in punctuation (e.g., “O’Neil” vs. “oneil”).
  • Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Evernote for Android version 10.8 release notes
On 4/19/2021 at 9:22 AM, mikefinleyco said:

Today I tried to open my notes on my android phone and the notes are all blank. 3 months now with a useless app.🙁

Screenshot_20210419-102405.png

2021-04-19_10-26-22.jpg

mikefinleyco,

I got behavior that looked like this when Evernote couldn't connect properly to the server due to some error and I was in Dark Mode. The error message background doesn't respect dark mode but the text color does, so there could very well be an error message hiding in there. Try flipping back to Light mode and see if you don't get an actual error message show up. 
Hope that helps.

Can I turn this home screen off as I really don't like it? I don't want an App saying Hello to me every time I open it - I am not a child!  There have been so many changes to the Android App, most of which just slows it down and does not bring anything useful - to me. I have been using Evernote for many years now and it has been the best note app - simple and effective. The new Windows & Android Apps are a backwards step, for me, so I am now researching an alternative.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

How can that home feature be turned off?

When will you implement fast scroll witch was still present in the legacy version?

When will I actually be able to download my notes on my phone again? Cause the function is not working.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really DO like the home feature, but my frustration is the time it takes to open in Android now.

I have circa 2500 notes, so not massive, and am running on a Samsung J6+ which isn't high end but is a decent enough mid market phone, and is company issue.

From starting the app to being able to access notes is 23 seconds, then you need to open a note, which takes a further 11 seconds (just timed it on a random note) and thats over half a minute before anything can be achieved.

The Samsung is my work phone.  Compare and contrast with my personal Iphone XR.  4 seconds to open the app, 1 second to open the same note.

Then also compare with Onenote - which is the preferred corporate tool

Samsung:  Opens app in 10 seconds, and opens a note in 1 second - so overall 20 seconds faster than EN on the same device 

Iphone:  Opens app in 2 seconds, opens note when app open immediately - too fast to time.

I want EN to be my main app, but this makes it very difficult to support.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 4/19/2021 at 11:17 PM, Shane D. said:

New:

• Home is now available on Android! It's a one-stop dashboard that puts the information you need front and center—neatly organized and instantly available.
  • Home consists of widgets that display your content in a convenient and streamlined view. All customers have a notes widget, a scratch pad widget, and a recently captured widget.
  • Evernote Premium and Evernote Business customers have additional widget options, as well as the ability to customize the appearance of their Home.
  • One of your most-requested features is here! You can now search inside PDF files. 
  • You can now apply search filters from the Notes view, to help you find what you need faster.Fixed:
  • We've made some adjustments so it's even easier for you to edit tables on your phone or tablet.
  • If you were viewing a long list of search results while in Snippet view, you would sometimes see a few false results at the bottom of the list.

Coming Soon:

• Search shared notes in Evernote Business via Work Chat.
  • Improving search functionality by giving it the ability to recognize differences in punctuation (e.g., “O’Neil” vs. “oneil”).

I can't write multiple handwritings

I write my handwriting in my Evernote every day.
But in the current version, you can't handwrite multiple pages.
This works as a fatal drawback to my use of Evernote.
Please make it possible to write multiple handwriting.
  • Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, FlintW said:

mikefinleyco,

I got behavior that looked like this when Evernote couldn't connect properly to the server due to some error and I was in Dark Mode. The error message background doesn't respect dark mode but the text color does, so there could very well be an error message hiding in there. Try flipping back to Light mode and see if you don't get an actual error message show up. 
Hope that helps.

Hi THanks, but am not in dark mode. 

Ive been using evernote in my android devices for 10 years. i loved it. It works ok all that time. Some days ago with the last actualization things change a lot. Notes last a lot of time to appear and sometines dont do it. If I need to acces quickly to a note it takes a lot of time to do it. that makes the app not usable.and is a huge problem to the user.that have info in it.

please do something to return to the beautiful app that you have before this. I read messages of a lot of people with similar problems.

Home is just another screen we have to trip over to get to the note we're looking for. Where I could see 6 or 7 notes at a time on the landing page before, and quickly and easily scroll to see more, now I can see 2½, and it takes 2 taps in inconvenient-to-reach spots to get to that screen, or clumsily side-scrolling two at a time. We don't want cutesy, we want fast, reliable, easy and simple. Fix it.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, dkc said:

Home is just another screen we have to trip over to get to the note we're looking for. Where I could see 6 or 7 notes at a time on the landing page before, and quickly and easily scroll to see more, now I can see 2½, and it takes 2 taps in inconvenient-to-reach spots to get to that screen, or clumsily side-scrolling two at a time. We don't want cutesy, we want fast, reliable, easy and simple. Fix it.

The opportunity to choose which is shown first on app start has been asked for years I think. I guess after forcing home screen to the masses the ultimate answer is no! Since Evernote 10 I feel a new "eat our ideas, or leave the product" attitude. They seem to concentrate on the shiny visuals to catch new customers. But when it comes to returning basic functionality or honestly starting bug fixing (especially on Android app) ?..... some of us here in the forums still have some hopes! 😉

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since Home Screen is less than 6 months old, and came to the mobile client only a few weeks ago, it could not have been asked for being de-/selected for many years. It is a first try to modernize the user interface for quite a while.

Personally I think there should be a switch, maybe to start with home, with notes list view or maybe even with the search screen.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since Home Screen is less than 6 months old, and came to the mobile client only a few weeks ago, it could not have been asked for being de-/selected for many years.

Sure, home screen is new. But what has been asked for a long while was something different: the opportunity to choose what is being displayed on startup. That is, what I wrote. I would appreciate a switch you are describing to see what is prompted at startup.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Most likely you just created a new account instead of entering your existing one. Make sure the login is correct.

The master copy of your data (except local notebooks) is on the Server. You can check it’s status by logging into the EN web client from a browser.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Uge2000 said:

Why don't you go back to the old Evernote while doing the new version right?

Good advice
I'm using Evernote Legacy on my Mac, pending Evernote v10 being ready for general use   
I don't know how to "go back" on the Android/IOS platforms

In Windows it is simple to install Legacy, but to use "Legacy" in Android you have to download an old apk and install it by hand, few people know how to do this, but you also have to enable the automatic updates of all the applications and then update them manually one by one. one being careful not to touch Evernote's. I work with several people who are not computer literate, and at this time I have discontinued this as it is not possible in practice to "educate" every user in my group.
But what I do not understand why they do what they are doing, don't they have a group of users who test the Beta versions? It is no longer worth listing the bothersome, useless errors and changes they produce. Onenote ?, Nimbus ?, I can't stop looking around. It gives me the feeling that something changed in the company, some change in "brain" maybe? I don't know, but I'm afraid to continue investing effort in Evernote when I see that they are losing their way ...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On mobiles it is in general difficult to run different versions of an app.

The iOS version was very buggy initially. Since 10.4 it runs OK, and it has gained features unknown to the prior versions since.

AFAIK there was a beta for Android. Maybe it was easier to fix iOS, where the hardware is more homogeneous, and most devices run the latest OS version. Let us hope they get the Android client fixed soon. 

It's clear that v10 is/was whole more than the Evernote staff can chew. All platforms were having issues. Android is still having a lot of really basic issues. Like some basic note editing issues with v10 and GBoard keyboard. I mean... GBoard is Googles own keyboard, that is preinstalled on a lot of android devices so it's the most used keyboard on android. Jet... this is happening:

The REAL issue is this:

• I submitted this issue many times in Evernote v10 for android beta feedback since 13th february. Nothing changed.
  • Other and me wrote about this issue here on this forum, that supposedly Evernote stuff is also reading and taking feedback from users. Nothing changed.
  • As a premium user I contacted support, told them about the issue, linked them to all the topics with this same issue on this forum. I even recorded a video on their wish about this issue. They said they will be "reporting this to engineering team for review". Nothing changed.

I used all the channels that can help Evernote solve this issue. And nothing changed. Heck, I don't even know if it will be solved at all!

And this keyboard problem is not the only issue. A far from it. A lot of v10 issues are from september 2020. All reported, yet still unsolved.
So the question is... In the future, why should I waste my time and send feedback to Evernote if feedback is not working?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

On mobiles it is in general difficult to run different versions of an app.

The iOS version was very buggy initially. Since 10.4 it runs OK, and it has gained features unknown to the prior versions since.

AFAIK there was a beta for Android. Maybe it was easier to fix iOS, where the hardware is more homogeneous, and most devices run the latest OS version. Let us hope they get the Android client fixed soon. 

iOS is a nightmare to develop for. There is little support for the myriad of different iOS devices. Here Android is way ahead. The virtual machine abstracts away the differences in the devices unless you're writing binary code. Every comparison I've seen has stated how much easier it is to develop for Android than for iOS.

3 hours ago, Uge2000 said:

In Windows it is simple to install Legacy, but to use "Legacy" in Android you have to download an old apk and install it by hand, few people know how to do this, but you also have to enable the automatic updates of all the applications and then update them manually one by one. one being careful not to touch Evernote's. I work with several people who are not computer literate, and at this time I have discontinued this as it is not possible in practice to "educate" every user in my group.
But what I do not understand why they do what they are doing, don't they have a group of users who test the Beta versions? It is no longer worth listing the bothersome, useless errors and changes they produce. Onenote ?, Nimbus ?, I can't stop looking around. It gives me the feeling that something changed in the company, some change in "brain" maybe? I don't know, but I'm afraid to continue investing effort in Evernote when I see that they are losing their way ...

I think with Android you just have to disable automatic updates for the one app. This makes the procedure just as 'easy' as in Windows.

• Shane D. unpinned and unfeatured this topic