Screen freezes with a loading after a few seconds after I open Evernote (desktop or mobile)

Every time I open Evernote, either in desktop app or mobile (iOS), it appears a loading and nothing happens. It just stays “loading” and doesn’t allow me to take any action. Any clue?

AFD9898E-736A-4B88-AF92-76490E2172F1.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm having this issue too.

I use two IOS devices, iPhone and iPad, these devices are in english and have IOS 14.5 and Evernote version 10.9;

I'm using the basic license. I did some tests using wifi and mobile networks.

In web version, I made some steps "what is new"; but after that works fine. but it not solve app version. 

Thanks 

Eduardo

Same here on pc and Android, for a month or more. Tried reinstalling and cleaning cache etc, but nothing worked. Really disorganizes me when taking notes for classes, cause I have to stop when it freezes, or when I'm logging in I have to wait for the loadings to stop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I don’t think there is anything to resolve. All of you are BASIC users, only allowed to use 2 devices.

You likely have already 2 other devices registered. EN won’t allow you to log in on a 3rd device.

Unsync any of the other devices.

Read this carefully - you can only unsync 2 devices per month on total.

• Thanks 1
On 6/1/2021 at 5:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

I don’t think there is anything to resolve. All of you are BASIC users, only allowed to use 2 devices.

You likely have already 2 other devices registered. EN won’t allow you to log in on a 3rd device.

I'm EN customer for long time, I already had Premium account in past and know what are limits.

A blank screen never can't be  used as "limit", this is a issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Em 01/06/2021 at 21:20, PinkElephant disse:

Dude, it worked for me! Unfortunately, Evernote didn't pop up the screen to unsync the third device, as it always did. It just kept working normally on Desktop and Web App, and kept loading forever on Android app. I unsynced the Desktop app and it worked like a charm. Thanks for helping! (and sorry for bad English 😅)

By the way, now Evernote counts Web app as a device, what a shame... 😔

• Thanks 1
On 6/1/2021 at 9:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

The blank loading screen that appears says nothing about this limit or the need to unsync one of the devices... Yes, this should be considered a problem to solve, as it hinders the possibility to change the issue and just seems like a bug. I've had this issue complicate my using of the app for months and already changed to another app, which is a shame as I love evernote and had been thinking about going premium, but this "bug" and the lack of answer about it worried me about the apps quality. I understand you answered and helped us "BASIC" USERS but the issue is still there and took weeks to get a simple answer here.

Thanks for the help, now I may be able to continue using it by unsynchronizing the web app. Evernote should fix the blank frozen screen and put and explanatory advice in its place, telling users how to unsync other devices.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having this exact problem, it already happened on the web, mac and android versions - the android one is the worst though. Every few seconds it shows up the loading screen and I have to go back to make it go away - only for it to come back again after a few seconds. I tried logging out of my web version since that seemed to solve it for some users (as related above) but it didn't work here. Frozen loading screen still comes up, and it's really annoying. It wouldn't make sense for it to be a "feature" that appears when you connect more than 2 devices, it should show a proper message for that matter. Plus, I was really inclined to pay for the personal subscription, but why would I pay for such a bugged app?  

• Level 5

If this is related to being on the Free account, you will have it as long as you don’t subscribe PLUS exceed the device limit.

In this case the „bug“ is implanted by your own (mis)use of the app under the Free plans limits. You name it yourself: 

web, mac and android versions

Who is able to count counts at least 3 devices, bingo.

Do whatever you want - and take the consequences.

Yes, I DID test it on three devices, but I also DID logout from the web one and it kept happening - as it also happened on my mac browser and app, before I even downloaded the "third option". Again, I 100% understand the limits that may come with a free version, but to put a blank forever loading page appearing every 5 secs with no error/warning message whatsoever is NOT my "misuse" of anything, but a clear BUG, no quote marks needed. Am I out of devices and cannot login because I crossed the limit? LET ME KNOW, WARN ME, that is like usability 101, and such message just never appeared - if they're interested in me purchasing anything (which I'm sure they are), letting me know that I need to pay for extra features instead of making the whole thing a UX nightmare would be WAY more effective, even because purchasing it WAS my actual goal, but I gave up because I wouldn't pay for something I'm not sure will work well later. Plus, why are you so defensive about a bug happening on Evernote? Are you a dev there or anything? If you are, taking notes of people complaining of something to maybe fix it later would be more productive than gaslighting everyone that's reporting an issue. And if you're not, what the hell?

Em 09/09/2021 at 22:57, PinkElephant disse:

If this is related to being on the Free account, you will have it as long as you don’t subscribe PLUS exceed the device limit.

In this case the „bug“ is implanted by your own (mis)use of the app under the Free plans limits. You name it yourself: 

web, mac and android versions

Who is able to count counts at least 3 devices, bingo.

Do whatever you want - and take the consequences.

• Level 5

Logging out is not enough: You need to go to your account settings, tab devices, and unsync as many devices to be down to only 2 active ones. If you want to add another, you even need to go to just 1 remaining active device.

Maybe you want a warning front and rear, flashing red lights and sirens. Sort of a supernanny app, to nudge users along. Maybe this would even be a good idea, sparing us other users here a lot of Forum traffic.

There is a quite comprehensive help database available for all users, where you can find among many others this document:

4 minutos atrás, PinkElephant disse:

Logging out is not enough: You need to go to your account settings, tab devices, and unsync as many devices to be down to only 2 active ones. If you want to add another, you even need to go to just 1 remaining active device.

Maybe you want a warning front and rear, flashing red lights and sirens. Sort of a supernanny app, to nudge users along. Maybe this would even be a good idea, sparing us other users here a lot of Forum traffic.

There is a quite comprehensive help database available for all users, where you can find among many others this document:

Look, I just want a pop-up saying "you are only allowed 2 devices and if you want to use more you have to pay for it, and if you don't want to pay you must do this" or ANYTHING like that. But a blank loading page does not say that at all. Adobe CC has this exact 2-device policy. Whenever I need to use a different one from my main ones, all I have to do is try to login and they will say "oops you cannot do that, please choose here the device you want to logoff to proceed", then I do it and voilà, it works. The problem is not their policy or my ability to understand it. I should not have to go to a forum or a database whatsoever for something so basic, this IS a bug - and from what I saw here and on the google play reviews, there are many people facing it. I'm not even convinced that it's only triggered by this 2-device thing, since I experienced it when I only got 1 device going on (but it was less frequent). Good apps just work seamlessly and communicate everything to the user, this is clearly a problem that should be addressed to by the developing team. Anyways, thank you for your assistance, I'll see if I can make it work.

6 minutos atrás, PinkElephant disse:

It sometimes works to have a message pop up, but there are gaps where only this loading event happens.

As I said, it would spare us other users a lot of posts where we need to explain over and again that the device limit is the culprit.

For their own sake they should fix this - not change the policy obvs, but this lack of communication creates a noise between the user and the app (which is a great app and that is the only reason I wanted to be able to fix it and not just find an alternative, I'm not a "go to a forum to solve it" kind of person, I usually just drop it), and it might cost them some users that are not that inclined to "go for help". 

• Like 1

I think I could give an update of the situation here, as it might help someone.

This bug really does seem to be related to the device limit. I'm an old user of Evernote, but haven't been using it for some years and now I've decided to come back. The last time I used it was in 2018 I guess. Since then I changed my computer and my smartphone, therefore it didn't even cross my mind that these devices were still listed on Evernote, as I obviously did a factory reset on all of them before trading. That explains why it was happening now even when I only had one device connected. With a very bad pun intended, we can say Evernote as an elephant memory, as it still remembered devices that I forgot about.

This is a bug nonetheless. What I can deduce from it all is that this "blank loading screen" was supposed to bring this exact "you overused your device limit" info, since it's a pop-up like window and it has a loading wheel, but for some reason it doesn't load anything at all - I knew it was trying to tell me something, but since it just kept on that blank screen forever, I just though "omg that'a very annoying bug" - which it is.

Now, thanks to the help of my not-very-amused-by-my-inability-to-understand-things friend PinkElephant, I think it is solved. But I truly hope Evernote addresses this ASAP. In the meantime, if you're an old user and you'r facing this bug, go check your device list, it might be still connected to that 2014 windows phone of yours.