[Fixed in Version 10.8.2] Home freezes after 'Get Started' on iOS Devices

Stuart Madden

Idea

56 replies to this idea

I cant even get past the Home Screen on my iPhone and iPad the app freezes on both devices. Tried rebooting both, same thing. I really do not want to uninstall reinstall due to syncing notebooks takes forever.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, crawfordpatterson said:

Anyone know how to remove the new home screen from IOS. I am not a fan and prefer just to have my notes showing when I open the App

You can’t remove it. 

45 minutes ago, CVJ said:

I cant even get past the Home Screen on my iPhone and iPad the app freezes on both devices. Tried rebooting both, same thing. I really do not want to uninstall reinstall due to syncing notebooks takes forever.

Make sure you tap on the blue help bubbles directly and it should be good to go. I thought it was freezing for me and I just had to tap each one to get past it. 

• Like 1

Looks like the latest update has a bug somewhere. I have the home page visible in app but it’s locked on it, cannot do anything, all buttons and options unresponsive, just locked on home page.

• Like 1

Hey folks,

We're working on getting this fixed right now. Apologies for the problem. Here's a workaround. 

1. Go to Evernote Web
  2. Add the "Notes" widget to Home
  3. Reinstall Evernote on your mobile device and sign in. You should be good to go.

Thanks,

• Level 5

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

@NickBH This is an issue that is affecting a small number of users, and we are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, you can workaround this issue by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Evernote on your iOS device
  2. Log into your account on the Web or Desktop app
  3. Go to Home, then Customize
  4. Make sure the notes widget is enabled on your Home, and is the first block.
  5. Save the customization
  6. Reinstall Evernote on your iOS device, go to Home, and tap through the tool tips

I'll provide an update here once this issue has been fixed.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
8 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

Hey folks,

We're working on getting this fixed right now. Apologies for the problem. Here's a workaround. 

1. Go to Evernote Web
  3. Reinstall Evernote on your mobile device and sign in. You should be good to go.

Thanks,

@CVJ just tagging so you see this.

• Thanks 1

I tried it and I got the same thing(notes and scratchpad widget), I had to reset home to defaults in order to be able to use the iOS app. It didn’t work at first because I had been messing with Home on my Mac a couple of weeks ago.

1 minute ago, CVJ said:

I tried it and I got the same thing(notes and scratchpad widget), I had to reset home to defaults in order to be able to use the iOS app. It didn’t work at first because I had been messing with Home on my Mac a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for sharing this. I'll keep a note on it in case anyone brings it up. 

Sorry for tagging you so many times, I was on my phone and didn't realize a couple were in the same thread lol.

57 minutes ago, Nick L. said:

Hey folks,

1. Go to Evernote Web

Thanks,

That's not of much use where EN have me throttled to 5.33.0 on the web version and it doesn't have the Home Page or widgets. ....Grrr

I'll see how I get on with Shanes workaround version on the Desktop app. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

@NickBH This is an issue that is affecting a small number of users, and we are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

4. Make sure the notes widget and scratchpad widgets are on your Home and save the customization
  5. Reinstall Evernote on your iOS device, go to Home, and tap through the tool tips

Did that and still app freeze on home screen without widgets.

I'm tired of all those bugs and poor performance and not needed features (Evernote are you trying to beat Microsoft Word with all those features?!).

Since new version evernote is not any more useful for me. I'm moving to NOTION after 10 years with evernote and many months of waiting for Evernote to fix new app quality problems.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thanks for letting me know.

I've updated the workaround instructions above, but also, please make sure that you're putting the notes widget block in the top spot.

Let me know if the issue persists after doing this.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

please make sure that you're putting the notes widget block in the top spot

What does it mean?
Should we have empty widget space or there should be something?
I have empty widgets space and after reinstallation it freezes the same way on home screen.

• Level 5

@DominikK

You wrote:

What does it mean?
Should we have empty widget space or there should be something?
I have empty widgets space and after reinstallation it freezes the same way on home screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by empty widget space, can you send a screenshot?

For what I described, from the Customize screen in the desktop or web app, make sure the Scratch Pad is the top left widget.

• Sad 1

Another bug with Home, Evernote lets you change the background but as soon as you do anything in the app it resets the background to the default “shore” picture.

@Shane D. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but thought I would mention that I am running the latest Apple Developer Beta on all my machines (iOS, iPadOS, and macOS) and haven't had issues other than the have to tap on the tooltips thing in the very beginning. Maybe something to look at during the update stuff.

2 hours ago, Nick L. said:

Hey folks,

1. Go to Evernote Web

Thanks,

This doesn’t work. My web version doesn’t offer home. You know that, right?

28 minutes ago, andrewcalvin said:

This doesn’t work. My web version doesn’t offer home. You know that, right?

You can also use the new Evernote Desktop app to accomplish this if your web client doesn't offer Home yet. You can get it at evernote.com/download 

• Haha 1

I don't have the icon that Sayre mentions, and I wouldn't have even known that it did anything if it was there. What undiscoverable functionality!

I don't want to downgrade my Evernote experience by moving off Legacy. In addition, if you can't change my web version to the latest version, I can only anticipate issues in a desktop-based web version.

Pass this on to the devs:

try {
    displayWidgets();
}
    catch(err) {
    -- code to display default message widget
    if (user.widgets.count == 0) {
        -- insert code for don't try to display widgets
    }
}

function displayWidgets() {
    -- code to display widgets
}

4 hours ago, andrewcalvin said:

Pass this on to the devs:

try {
    displayWidgets();
}
    catch(err) {
    -- code to display default message widget
    if (user.widgets.count == 0) {
        -- insert code for don't try to display widgets
    }
}

function displayWidgets() {
    -- code to display widgets
}

For me the issue is not that I haven't a single widget as I have 3 but I have the black blank screen issue as well.

11 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

4. Make sure the notes widget is enabled on your Home, and is the top block.
  5. Save the customization
  6. Reinstall Evernote on your iOS device, go to Home, and tap through the tool tips

I have tried it again with no success. :(

I had the same issue, which has been fixed below.

1. Mac - Evernote - Add the "Notes" widget to Home
  2. Reinstall Evernote on iOS (iPadOS)  device and sign in.

# I have 5,000 notes, It's hard to wait for 5,000 notes to be synced offline. (iPad and iPhone)

• Sad 2
12 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thanks for letting me know.

I've updated the workaround instructions above, but also, please make sure that you're putting the notes widget block in the top spot.

Let me know if the issue persists after doing this.

Just to confirm, this does work after reinstalling the app, but you need to allow the blue pop up guides to complete before pressing the 'small home icon in the top right of the screen to start to customise your layout.

Thanks @Shane D.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, ucchi said:

I had the same issue, which has been fixed below.

1. Mac - Evernote - Add the "Notes" widget to Home
  2. Reinstall Evernote on iOS (iPadOS)  device and sign in.

# I have 5,000 notes, It's hard to wait for 5,000 notes to be synced offline. (iPad and iPhone)

:( Not for me... Even if did it in EN Mac app even in web same sh*t here... 

5 hours ago, Stuart Madden said:

Just to confirm, this does work after reinstalling the app, but you need to allow the blue pop up guides to complete before pressing the 'small home icon in the top right of the screen to start to customise your layout.

Thanks @Shane D.

It seems the workaround is not as general as it should be... :(

• Like 1

I had the same problem, I tried moving the notes to the top,  Did not work.  I had to end up re-setting the default widgets layout, re-installed the app on iOS and it loaded right up.

• Level 5*

As long as I've been around these forums you would think I would know to check before updating, particularly with V10.  Another victim of the EN dies with install of the home release.  

EDIT:  Removed and reinstalled the app and it now works.  Funny thing though my notes were already there.  I thought all data was removed when you deleted the app.  😕

I have installed 10.8.2 and also using the default homepage, while after login for a few seconds, the screen still go to a blank page with loading icon. I have wait for up to 10 minutes and it still keep showing the loading icon. I am using the iPad (7th Gen). I am quite sure that the network is fine.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:02 AM, Fcescn said:

I still get that black screen too. What I don not understand is why only it happens in my iPad, in my iPhone I have no problem

It was just crashing for me, then when I did all the workarounds and updated to 10.8.2 I got exactly this result.  iPhone is fine, but iPad goes to black screen every time I open the app.

On 4/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We released an updated version today, Version 10.8.2 that should fix the freeze and black screen issues.

Please try updating to this version, and let me know if you have any further issues.

No, this did not solve the problem for me.