Make Evernote desktop support common audio formats (MP3/M4A)

Lemini

Idea

Evernote finally restored audio recording to the desktop, but the files recorded are in the webm format which is non standard and hard to use outside of Evernote. When I record audio on an iOS device, the file format in the resulting note is m4a which I am able to open and listen to in other applications. I would like to see at least .m4a support added to the desktop version of Evernote so that the files created on my mobile device and my laptop are the same and usable outside of evernote.

• Like 5

8 replies to this idea

This file format isn't read by Otter.ai which I use for all transcriptions. Makes the Evernote audio feature irrelevant to me. I agree wholeheartedly that the file format should be something that is considered a common audio format. 

• Like 3

Incredibly frustrating that after taking so long to restore audio recording Evernote have screwed it up so badly.

webm Seriously? A format that neither ios nor macos has a native application for? wtaf.

In case any users reading this thread missed it like I did – @Lemini's original post highlights the v10 workaround: Use an iOS device to record...the file format is .m4a. The iOS app and the desktop app record audio in different formats (odd given the focus on consistency between apps, but maybe .m4a support is coming for desktop?). Using Legacy on desktop as your voice recording is also an option as a workaround (which creates a .wav file).

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lemini said:

Evernote finally restored audio recording to the desktop, but the files recorded are in the webm format which is non standard and hard to use outside of Evernote. When I record audio on an iOS device, the file format in the resulting note is m4a which I am able to open and listen to in other applications. I would like to see at least .m4a support added to the desktop version of Evernote so that the files created on my mobile device and my laptop are the same and usable outside of evernote.

Agree, the audio files recorded in the v10.11 desktop version (webm) do not appear to play in iOS/iPad either, which continues to disrupt my workflow. Still using Legacy

• Thanks 2

I searched for it for a long time on various forums, but all were non-working. I started editing videos and came across the fact that most programs do not perform their functions. Or they do it exceptionally unsuccessfully.
The only service I still use is convertr.org. A very convenient website for video conversion.
By the way, can anyone recommend a good program for sound processing? I have used some plugins, but they are all quite limited. I will be glad of any information.