New Evernote performance on Macs

i have been a committed Evernote user for years.  I often take notes and refer to them real time in meetings.  The new version of Evernote seems woefully slow and I have been forced to reinstall legacy which works just fine.  This poor performance is consistent across latest mac running big sur and apple silicon as well as older imac.  If I cannot find a fix for this i regretfully I will need to move provider when Legacy support is withdrawn.

Am I missing something?  Anyone else experiencing this.  I really don't want to have to move years of notes.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Notetakr said:

Anyone else experiencing this

Yes there are long running topics covering this. While not specifically addressing the Mac version see either / both of the following:

I am personally running the legacy version on my Mac and version 10.x on a Windows machine.  While the latter is slow, at times I am almost encouraged enough to run 10.x on my Mac. Almost - I have tolerated the slow performance, but I can't tolerate incorrect search results which I see occasionally enough to dampen enthusiasm for upgrading on the Mac.

Evernote 10.11.5 runs super smoothly and without any lags or performance problems on my good old "iMac Retina 5k ultimo 2014".

4 GHz Quad-Core i7, 32 GB RAM (1600 MHz DDR3), AMD Radeon R9 4 GB

Evernote performs very well on that machine - I use it daily for several hours.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

Evernote 10.11.5 runs super smoothly and without any lags or performance problems on my good old "iMac Retina 5k ultimo 2014".

4 GHz Quad-Core i7, 32 GB RAM (1600 MHz DDR3), AMD Radeon R9 4 GB

Evernote performs very well on that machine - I use it daily for several hours.

All versions are running great on our Macs. 2011 iMac 

2017 iMac 

2017 MBP

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 9:27 AM, Steven Eff said:

Works fine on a MacBook Pro mid 2012 👍🏻

My mac Pro 2010 and MacMini have both 16 GB RAM, 500mbs SSD drives in RAID0 arrangement so they are no turtles although the 2.4ghz processor is likely the bottle neck. A turtle would win over Evernote hands down for me. 

• Level 5

Machines from 2010 probably have less than 1/10 of transistors on their CPUs.

What is the bottle neck can be seen in the Activity Monitor. What may add to the problems is that you are probably on an older version of the OS as well - maybe there are routines in the app that would make use of a newer OS as well.

Nobody who is developing software in 2021 will make it a priority that it can run smoothly on hardware 11 years of age.

So maybe it is time for a change, either app or hardware. For the time being you can try legacy, or use the web client, that runs many tasks on the server instead of locally. Being Basic you have to pick your choice of devices.

Can somebody please help me... I see a lot of Evernote working fine on MAC ... I am running 11.3.1 on a 2018 MacBook Pro. I cannot open the desktop version of Evernote. It opens, I momentarily see my notes and then get the attached message to restart or quit. I can do neither; I am forced to force quit to get out of it. I have uninstalled the app, restarted my MAC, reinstalled Evernote multiple times to no avail. I can log into the Web version, but that is inconvenient many times  And apparently without the desktop app, the browser extensions don't work.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.21.47 PM.png

Makes sense. Everybody's mileage varies of course. I always buy very old macs for a few dollars as I get much more value of them per dollar spent. They otherwise work perfectly fine. And I don't play games. Legacy versions of Evernote is the way to go. 

20 hours ago, kathleenkmh said:

Can somebody please help me... I see a lot of Evernote working fine on MAC ... I am running 11.3.1 on a 2018 MacBook Pro. I cannot open the desktop version of Evernote. It opens, I momentarily see my notes and then get the attached message to restart or quit. I can do neither; I am forced to force quit to get out of it. I have uninstalled the app, restarted my MAC, reinstalled Evernote multiple times to no avail. I can log into the Web version, but that is inconvenient many times  And apparently without the desktop app, the browser extensions don't work.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.21.47 PM.png

Are you downloading from the app store or the direct download from the website?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just updated: BigSur 11.3.1, EN Mac 10.13.4

EN starts ok and behaves normal.

Maybe you need to uninstall EN (use AppCleaner to really delete all) and reinstall.

I always recommend to use the direct install, not the AppStore version.