Dates and Times in International formats

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

• Solution
27 minutes ago, cswilly said:

EN 10+ displays/inserts dates/times in USA format (i.e. mm/dd/yyyy) and AM/PM).

Please use the locale of the user for these formats (e.g. dd/mm/yyyy and 24 hour hh:mm).

This is not necessarily true. For me it displays it in UK format. e.g in note info:

image.png.ccd616343aac99bae59a79643e8823a0.png

At the top of the note:

image.png.79bd34724b0ed799d90dd48aec0e7c38.png

Or inserted:

image.png.39acf17b44a59aeb95e398efc1fdca85.png

Where it picks up the date formating is a bit of a mystery and is certainly not in EN itself. It is probably either in windows setting, chrome settings or some combination of the two.

25 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Where it picks up the date formating is a bit of a mystery and is certainly not in EN itself. It is probably either in windows setting, chrome settings or some combination of the two.

Good to know it is working correctly for someone; there is hope anything is possible 🙂 

I checked my Windows Regional settings and they are for the UK. I do not use chrome.

I installed by downloading EN. Did you install your EN from the Windows store?

ApplicationFrameHost_qSciTWumwv.png

I checked my Windows Regional settings and they are for the UK. I do not use chrome.

I installed by downloading EN. Did you install your EN from the Windows store?

Mine is also direct download from the EN website

Although you may not use Chrome EN is built on chromium in the background although I have no evidence that the two are connected in terms of date formating. I agree with you that it should be easy to change your formatting but it's not quite as simple as saying everything is in US format.

I logged a ticket with EN support. Their reply is it is not yet a supported feature. @Mike P your are lucky I guess. LOL.

I understand that you're requesting to change the date and time format on your Evernote for Windows to regional format (e.g. dd/mm/yyyy and 24 hour hh:mm).

Please know that we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team.

• Like 1

your are lucky I guess.

EN is obviously picking up the date/time format from somewhere (not the regional format settings in Windows which for me are identical to @cswilly's). It's disappointing that EN Support do not know where it is either.

• Like 1

We do not want to pick up the format from somewhere outside EN. We want to have it defined within EN.

Is it really such hard to implement a format string like "DD.MM.YY HH:MM" that will be used everywhere inside EN when a date is to be displayed? Every simple (like GreenShot) and more sophisticated programs (like Excel) offer such a possibility. From my point of view this is a finger exercise for computer science students...

But for the moment, it would be absolutely OK, to use Windows-settings of "Short date" and "Short time" - as it was the case in Legacy 😉:

image.png.629330180b44b32c33fb02de9448b611.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

my point of view this is a finger exercise for computer science students...

A little unkind since Evernote do have 200M+ active users who would be even more unhappy than they are at present should a small change in the date process corrupt any existing information.  Plus they have an (I would imagine) fairly crowded development schedule,  existing bugs to address,  and a 'short' list of a couple of thousand new and returning features to implement.  They'll get to it.

Meantime I use Legacy - which uses system dates - and Phrase Express to support key combinations that add dates and times in various formats as I need them.  My note titles forinstance routinely start with a date - 20210414 - to sort by title into chronological order.

"A little unkind" - OK. I've been in charge for development for a long time - such basic functionality should be either on the list of ToDos from the start on (to implement user friendly i18ned SW) or even implicit thinking of developers itself 😉

Meantime I use Legacy - which uses system dates - and AutoHotKey to support key combinations that add dates and times in various formats as I need them.  My notes forinstance routinely have valid Creation Dates to sort into chronological order.

But this is crazy:

image.png.3b285414db160d8fcefb9ebc05db0c75.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Randall v. said:

Get with it, Evernote!

Evernote have released more updates in the last 6 months than they have in the past 10 years.  I believe they're getting around to things as fast as they can...

On 4/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote have released more updates in the last 6 months than they have in the past 10 years.  I believe they're getting around to things as fast as they can...

You mean like breaking the 24-hour format that was previously available to myself and others who prefer it?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Randall v. said:

You mean like breaking the 24-hour format that was previously available to myself and others who prefer it?

That wasn't what you were chasing...  Evernote seem to have adopted the Musk strategy: "Move fast even if you break things."

• Haha 1
  • 6 months later...

The Calendar widget in Evernote somehow tries to display the time in a Swedish local format, but fails miserably. Some examples are "9:00 fm" and "2:00 em". In Sweden we always use 24 hour format and we never use "fm" or "em" when specifying time.

I.e. Those regional settings are totally wrong. I'm curios to know from where Evernote have gotten those? 🤔

PS. This is NOT from the regional settings in Windows. There it's set to 24 hour format (HH:mm) and there are no "fm" nor  "em".

• Like 1