Stop with these update prompts

msfalcin

Idea

26 replies to this idea

Can you tell us which client and version you're using so the mods can move this post out of the General forum? Screenshots would be helpful too.

I don't use the Web interface to EN very often, but almost every time I do I see pop-ups (from EN, not ads) about new features or updates. Separately, there's a notification badge next to "what's new" in the lower left, so these pop-ups are just redundant, annoying clutter. Is that what you're talking about?

Maybe the latest EN Win client and Android app have this problem, but I won't know know as I don't use them yet. As for the Mac side...well maybe someday.

Was this resolved on Windows? Is there a way to mute this annoying notification. In the middle of typing and the annoying box comes up mid way. I look up to find my typing is missing as the notification took precedence. Very annoying. I will update weekly and manually. I don't want the annoying update notification 😒

I would also like to know of a way to disable the popup reminder about new versions.  This pops up during the middle of presentations and other screen sharing.  It has become enough of a distraction that I have to consider cancelling Evernote and finding a different solution.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

PLEASE let us choose to update manually and  when  we want. The constant update pop ups everyday is getting out of hand! I have been  a member since 2013 and i'm seriously going to dump this app if you don't  stop  pushing autoupdates every fricking day!

• Like 6

This is extremely annoying. It takes over every other screen. Some times I am presenting something and the screen changes to Evernote with this prompt, showing all my notes to everyone. This is really messed up... I am moving over to Obsidian...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm on Windows 10 V 6.25.1.9091 and I'm getting a pop-up note to UPGRADE which takes up a large percentage of my available screen real estate. I looked into it and I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE.

So, how do I turn off the prompt?

Please add the ability to turn off the pop-up notifications for app updates or at least depreciate their system influence - they are very invasive. It would be acceptable to me if the pop-ups were within the Evernote Desktop app, but these notifications supersede all apps (on Mac), in other words, they switch the desktop to Evernote, regardless of what you are currently working on or viewing. Updating Evernote is hardly my top priority and if Evernote thinks that it is more important to inform me of a x.xxx update than my business video calls, then I may need to move to a note-taking app that isn't so egotistical.

• Like 1

I run Evernote on Windows and MacOS (both v10) and I don't think I've ever seen an update prompt from the app on either platform. If I have, it was so infrequent that I can't remember it. I use Evernote for hours on both platforms (but mostly MacOS).

I installed through MacOS on the MacApp store and I have automatic updates for all apps turned off. I don't know that Evernote has pushed out an update until I manually go to the App Store and look for it (or see it on the forums here).

On Windows, I just downloaded the EXE and installed it. Same thing -- I don't ever get prompted to update.

I wonder what the difference between us is that I don't see update prompts at all?

• Level 5

The Mac AppStore is for sure a convenient way to manage an installation, tracking updates as well. You probably will never see an update notification.

But even if convenient, in general I recommend to use the direct install instead. We had several cases here in the forum where the root cause of missing functions was in the end an install by the AppStore. For example sharing to other apps did not work while the version was installed through the AppStore. Once it was removed and the same release installed directly from the EN website, sharing worked. The AppStore versions run in a sandbox, that can create problems especially in interaction with other apps.

• Thanks 1

Seconding this. Seriously I don't goddam need to know that my client was updated for "various bug fixes" every week. I just need to make a note and I need to make it quick. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just for the protocol: Most updates are not only bug fixes, but add new features. I think it makes sense users are notified about it.

From my experience it will show when you start the client first after an update has happened, and it shows only once when confirmed. This is pretty much in line with other programs that show an update notification as well in this situation. It may be there are not that many developers that will update every 2-3 weeks, but as a user I can hardly find any negative in getting new features all of the time. Short release cycles means very fast bug fixes as well.

• Level 5

If the web client does what you want it to do, why not. It is a full client, lacking a few features, but having some positive aspects as well, not found on desktop.

However, it updates as often as the desktop client does, and when it did, you get a notification. Opposite to the desktop clients you can’t influence the updating, it simply happens. So basically you see as many notifications with web as you see when you always update right away after getting the first notification on desktop.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, cpjones44 said:

This annoyed me so much that I cancelled my Evernote subscription. Went back to OneNote.

And posted in two different forums about it. These are basically user-to-user forums; Evernote staff don't visit them to count the number of users they've pleased, displeased, or lost. If there were interaction with Evernote staff happening here, I could see the point of announcing one's departure from the service, one time anyway. As it is, though, it just looks like baiting people into saying anything at all in response, so you can insult them.

I work in Windows and Android, not Mac, so my experience may be different, but I've never had my work stopped by an Evernote update prompt, which I may see 3 or 4 times a month, and can deal with at my convenience. Even Mac users who respond here often say the same. Those who are finding the experience bothersome may have workflow specifics that get interrupted, and then it's certainly better to seek something else. But why slam the door and then stick your head back in to say, "Hey, I slammed the door!"?

Today, while i am in the middle of a screen sharing call on my Mac, Evernote popped up with update notification exposing my notes view long with it. This is a serious nuicense. 

Ideally, this pop-up should come when i open Evernote or when i am working on it. Not when i am on something else. I am not convinced on the reasons provided justifying this.

Please fix this. This is a privacy concern and work nuisense.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, GCG said:

Please fix this. This is a privacy concern and work nuisense.

You should raise this concern with Evernote directly. These forums are user to user and staff are only infrequently here. Clearly, we can't fix anything.

In the meantime, Quit Evernote when screen sharing as a temporary solution.

• Like 1

I got this today on one of my machines that was running 10.50.9 -- this is what it looks like now:

image.png.098e5e78c661e758160ce368785ac8b9.png

I didn't click the 'x' to see what would happen, but I assume the notification will just go away -- at least for that session. I would be surprised if it didn't come back at some point to remind us that an update is still waiting. Maybe not -- I dunno. I just clicked the 'Relaunch' link and it closed and updated itself.

This is just to advise you that there is a new updated version 10.50.10.  This the new way of notifying you which is less intrusive than the larger pop up that used to appear and gives you the option of updating or not at the time it appears.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

This is just to advise you that there is a new updated version 10.50.10.  This the new way of notifying you which is less intrusive than the larger pop up that used to appear and gives you the option of updating or not at the time it appears

Right - thanks! I should have clarified that with this recent change, I feel like this issue is solved (as well as several others that are similar).

• Like 1