Can't highlight saved articles - tools greyed out

empleat

13 hours ago, empleat said:

I can't highlight saved articles in Evernote browser! As tools are greyed out. Like font type, font size, these tools... OMG also ctrl+f in saved article doesn't work!!!

Please help!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by saved articles or what version and platform you are using. Taking a wild guess if you mean webclipped articles - you cannot alter them in V10 while they are in a "web clip" box. You can certainly use ctrl-F but make sure the edit meu is visible even if greyed out. If you want to alter the text, including highlighting, you need to "simplify and make editable" using the magic wand icon. Personally I would like the ability to highlight without having to change the format of the article.

image.thumb.png.1d613a04e4b78fb094c16794d409edd2.png

• Like 1

I mean article, there is nothing else in evernote addon.

What is V10 and web clip box? I have them saved in evernote already!

I can now ctrl+f no idea why it wasn't working.

Problem is I can't even click magic wand icon.`

50 minutes ago, empleat said:

Problem is I can't even click magic wand icon.`

Do you see the three dots menu when you hover over the grey web clip bar? You can also access "simplify and make editable" from there.

2 hours ago, empleat said:

Why can't I simply edit that in the first place?

As webpages become more and more complicated the webclipper has strugled to convert the content into EN's own format. EN's solution to this has been to keep the content as html within the html box. This is a big win for users who just want to look at the content without editing or even highlighting it. If on the other hand you want to edit and highlight you have a number of options, none of which are perfect.

1. Simplify and make editable as discussed
  2. Capture the article as a simplified article in the first place - this gives very similar results to No, 1 but may be better (or worse) for different web sites
  3. Save the page as a pdf (e.g. print to pdf in Chrome). Attach the pdf to a note and use the pdf annotation tools within EN
  4. Just copy and paste into EN, although for me that is generally a disaster.

When clipping articles, if I plan to highlight or make changes, I choose to save using the simplified article format within the Web Clipper.  It is a lot like saving to Pocket, and I find it must easier to read and highlight

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mike P said:

As webpages become more and more complicated the webclipper has strugled to convert the content into EN's own format. EN's solution to this has been to keep the content as html within the html box. This is a big win for users who just want to look at the content without editing or even highlighting it. If on the other hand you want to edit and highlight you have a number of options, none of which are perfect.

1. Simplify and make editable as discussed
  2. Capture the article as a simplified article in the first place - this gives very similar results to No, 1 but may be better (or worse) for different web sites
  3. Save the page as a pdf (e.g. print to pdf in Chrome). Attach the pdf to a note and use the pdf annotation tools within EN
  4. Just copy and paste into EN, although for me that is generally a disaster.

Saving pdf to disk is too vehement and then adding it in evernote. Evernote doesn't remember login and it loads each time anew, it is very laborious and I don't know to search for categories in Evernote (opened in web browser)! It is already much harder then bookmarks, I read thousands of sites so, that's why... I will try simplified, but it doesn't work well sometimes and double-checking is also annoying.