(Archived) Alternative Sorts

I have read thru sorting suggestions and have not seen any solutions for my specific problem.

I want my notes sorted alphabetically by topic.

I do not want a tag for them as this is the same as assigning alpha or numeric characters. I do not want to guess at how many times I'd have to go thru the "a,b,c" sequence for all future notes (nor do I see how one could be inserted), nor do I want to reinvent the Dewey Decimal system for insertion purposes.

Can't a simple alpha ascending and descending search be added or better yet, let us create our own criteria for sorting?

In fact, once in "List" mode, you should be able to just click on "Title" to sort by that column which is pretty standard throughout the industry.

If you want to sort by topic, you're either going to have to use the topic in the title or use tags. I don't know what your aversion is to tags but they are very helpful at organizing & retrieving notes. If you search the board on tags, there are a log of helpful threads.

I do not want a tag for them as this is the same as assigning alpha or numeric characters. I do not want to guess at how many times I'd have to go thru the "a,b,c" sequence for all future notes (nor do I see how one could be inserted), nor do I want to reinvent the Dewey Decimal system for insertion purposes.

I don't understand what you're saying here. If you create a tag for a particular topic, you don't have to reinvent anything if you chose to add other topic names that fall between two existing topic names.

In fact, once in "List" mode, you should be able to just click on "Title" to sort by that column which is pretty standard throughout the industry.

You can. (At least in the Windows, iPhone & Mac versions.)

• Level 5*
Can't a simple alpha ascending and descending search be added or better yet, let us create our own criteria for sorting?

The desktop clients have simple sorting available to you, but nothing that you can really customize, short of torquing your content (e.g. Note title, or tags) to force ordering.

If you're posting about a specific client ( sounds like you might be referring to a mobile client), you're probably better off posting questions like this to one of the more specific forums.

~Jeff

Archived