Don't try using Web Clipper/Safari on Mac on the Wall Street Journal site

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5

Usually it is due to a change of the website. Especially websites that want to enforce a paywall are often hard to clip. When these changes happen the WebClipper devs need to try to find out and get another loop fitted to the clipper.

To make it easier for them, you can report websites that are hard to clip to the clipper team through a support ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.  I was afraid the root cause was a change at the WSJ.  I might have found a workaround by using Clearly to first view the page and then clipping that to Evernote.  So far, it results in a much smaller size clip closer to the size before the WSJ made the change.

• Level 5

This is more a problem attributed to weird HTML+ code, used on these websites (these 2 are notorious for it, there are others) to prevent clipping from behind the paywall. These websites simply try to sabotage anything that is circumventing their "pay per view" policy.

I know websites where independently from what you are looking at, the clipped content will always be the paywall banner invisibly placed on top of everything.

Beside this sabotaging there is NO web clipper on iOS. Clipping on iOS means using the clipping properties build into iOS, not into the EN app. The EN app gets content from sharing, and tries to convert it.

How to get around ?

Depends on the website. Most have a design that allows to use the "save as pdf" function of the iOS screen shot tool. You take a screenshot, and above the view of the picture taken choose "full page" instead of "screen". You see to the right the (usually) long view of the full length of the page. It will be saved as a pdf. You can share it into EN, EN will make it searchable, and it works as content clipped to a pdf does. The downside are not page breaks, and some sites are too long to fit into one single pdf. You have to move down and repeat. The new pdf will start at the point showing on your screen when taking the screenshot.

Another option is to use the iOS print option, then convert to pdf. The advantage is it will be nicely split into pages.

On both workarounds I take a copy of the URL and paste it manually into the newly created note. The URL will not be transferred automatically like on clipped web content.

The ultima ratio is to use the web clipper with a desktop browser. This is really made by EN, and if this does not work, you can repeat your "mimimi" about clipping not working.