Merging notes intermittent

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

• Evernote Expert

Since the most recent update to Evernote 10 (v10.10.5) I've been experiencing intermittent issues with merging notes.

Occasionally all is well but more often than not the notes are not merged. Evernote 10 claims they are but they are not.  The first note in the pair being merged is updated but the second note does not merge. Occasionally the notes merge OK but the two original notes remain in the notebook. (I'm aware that there is and advanced setting to Keep the Original Notes but that is not selected).

Anyone else experiencing this or similar?

• Like 1

Yes - exactly this. I can't see that merge works (correctly) at all in the latest build and have reverted to using Legacy whenever I need to do big or mass merges.

Otherwise, I just manually copy & paste & delete. I'm really looking forward to this bug getting ironed out.

Edited by CentralAla
clarity

For a while now I've noticed that when merging or duplicating notes, some attachments (web clippings, PDFs, etc.) get dropped. Not all of them, but some of them. I just duplicated a note that contained a web clipping, and the note got duplicated but the web clipping was missing. When merging multiple notes some of which may contain attachments, it's a hit or miss; some of the attachments make it to the merged note but others do not. Like I said, this has been going on for a while now and I have reported it several times, but I never got a response. I suppose I need to open a ticket...

• Like 2

I don't merge anymore in V10 - it is just too unreliable. Attachments and images just go missing even after they initially look OK. This has been going on for some time in various guises and I'm surprised, given that we are talking about loosing users data, that it has not been properly addressed.

• Like 1

I find that they usually merge - but the bug relating to disappearing images is still there (have reported this).

Since the last update, I find the merged notes always remain in the notebook, irrespective of the merge setting. I assumed this was done to partly mitigate the result of the bug, and save you having to retrieve the original notes from trash.

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

Thanks for these reports. All issues related to images lost when merging notes should be fixed in the latest version 10.11 release. Please let us know if you see this issue on version 10.11. thanks. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, Austin G.!

Funny, your tech support folks still pretend that they know nothing about it and make anyone reporting the problem go through hoops trying different stuff and then stop responding. It would be a lot more constructive and helpful, if they simply admitted that the problem will be fixed in 10.11, as you state! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports. All issues related to images lost when merging notes should be fixed in the latest version 10.11 release. Please let us know if you see this issue on version 10.11. thanks. 

Looking good so far. Two notes containing images merged with no problems even after closing the app and reopening. Notes containing pdfs also seem to be ok.

• Ex Employees
18 hours ago, philrodo said:

Thanks for the feedback, Austin G.!

Funny, your tech support folks still pretend that they know nothing about it and make anyone reporting the problem go through hoops trying different stuff and then stop responding. It would be a lot more constructive and helpful, if they simply admitted that the problem will be fixed in 10.11, as you state! 

thanks for this feedback and I apologize about that. I'll will make sure that this issue and resolution has been communicated to the rest of the team. 

• Evernote Expert

@Austin GAh, so I find that one of the issues remains but I have, I think, found a way of reproducing the problem.

Every now and then I still find that two notes fail to merge - at least that is what it appeared.

I have two notes - one has text and in the test a PDF attached to the note.  The second has a title an HTML container which is displaying as expected.

I select the two notes. Choose merge and the resulting document contains the text and PDF from the first note, a horizontal rule and noting else. The note which consisted f only an HTLM container with content displayed inside is missing. Neither is the title from the note present

So I removed the formatting in the HTML container. Re-tried the merge and now it works as anticipated.

Next I tried editing the note with the HTML container. I typed some random text immediately above the HTML container.  I then repeated the merge and again everything went as expected retaining the HTML container. The second note appears as required in the merged note AND the second note's title is also included in the expected place.

Evernote 10.11.5 (2530)

It seems that a note with content that is only inside an HTML container doesn't display when merged.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

We had a thread that when one of the merged notes contain a web clip (content clipped by web clipper), it causes this note to disappear.

Until there is a fix, we all should avoid to merge notes with web clips. If we want to create a single note from such content, we have to copy and paste it instead.

Maybe you can try and confirm that your merger losses had web clips as well.

PinkElephant, I do not use we cliping, my problem is i need to merge notes mainly with pdf's, not being able to relay that this works correct at the moment makes me not use E10. On older(Legacy) version it works so nice, it's a quite important feature in my workflow.

ciao

• Level 5

The problems with loosing content was restricted to notes with web clips, from the threads here in the forum.

If you have other problems, I think you should issue a support ticket about it.

For me merging in v10 is working. It has one feature I like better than legacy: You can determine in which order the merged notes will appear before merging. I often had to sort content after merging - this is not necessary any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue still remains. This forum topic should not be marked as solved if the problem still exists, regardless of a workaround. It's not the intended behavior of the app. Is someone going to address this or not? Does support have this bug in a list of things to fix?

It sure would be nice to get feedback from someone at Evernote. I realize that these forums aren't official support for Evernote, but hey, it's a link on their website. They should be more engaged and transparent with the customers. Even in the Twitter posts, the best we seem to get is "I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Give us your email address, or send us a DM so we can work with you directly". How about letting us know what bugs there are and if they being addressed or not?

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, grberk said:

This issue still remains. This forum topic should not be marked as solved if the problem still exists, regardless of a workaround. It's not the intended behavior of the app. Is someone going to address this or not? Does support have this bug in a list of things to fix?

It sure would be nice to get feedback from someone at Evernote. I realize that these forums aren't official support for Evernote, but hey, it's a link on their website. They should be more engaged and transparent with the customers. Even in the Twitter posts, the best we seem to get is "I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Give us your email address, or send us a DM so we can work with you directly". How about letting us know what bugs there are and if they being addressed or not?

This is/was my thread. A solution was implemented which appeared to fix the issue and I marked it as solved.

You'll see that I subsequently found that it wasn't as simple as at first seemed and I updated the discussion. Sadly, the forum software doesn't allow me to 'unmark' the solution. 

You're correct that the issue remains. On this occasion, at least, this isn't a conspiracy by Evernote support to mark a resolution when none was available.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Ex Employees

Thanks for everyone's patience while we worked on the fix for the merge issues with HTML content  notes. The fix is scheduled for our 10.19 release.

Please let us know if you spot any issues after updating to 10.19. This release should be available within the upcoming weeks. You'll see an in-app prompt when it's available.  thanks again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2