How to prepare for the end of EN legacy?

I won't rehash the whole drama of v10 and who hates or loves it in this post.  The issue for many of us is very simple ie: we will not use v10 in its current form but we find Legacy to be perfectly usable.  The only problem is how to prepare for the day that legacy simply stops functioning?  I have read many posts about this not happening and about how the EN API's will live on forever etc etc.  For the sake of argument I would like to assume that this is not true and that there is a possibility of waking up one morning and finding that EN servers no longer sync the Legacy version.  I have also read about the numerous EN alternatives and would gladly migrate to one of them if absolutely forced to.  However, the main question that I have is what needs to be done to prepare for such a migration?  Would simply saving the enex files to a cloud drive be enough?  How about also saving the "add to evernote" folders which contains all of the pdfs, docs, images, spreadsheets that make their way into EN?  These folders contain the actual physical files that were copied into EN but they are spread out at home and work computers depending on where I was when I "saved to Evernote".  For now, I will continue to use Legacy in the hope that it will continue to function or that v10 will miraculously become usable in the future, but I definitely want to have an exit strategy if all else fails.  Like many on this forum, EN is the organizational platform that runs my personal and business lives and being locked out of my data would be inconceivable.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, idoc said:

Would simply saving the enex files to a cloud drive be enough?

My backups include a weekly full export in both html and enex format, saved to a cloud folder

>>EN servers no longer sync the Legacy version

The app itself will continue to function even after Evernote turns off the sync support   
fwiw Some alternative apps import directly from the Evernote server or app

>>Howabout also saving the "add to evernote" folders which contains all of the pdfs, docs, images, spreadsheets that make their way into EN?  These folders contain the actual physical files that were copied into EN

For myself, these folders are empty   
I delete the files after importing to Evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If you're running a business off of Evernote I can see why you'd be nervous,  but as I've said several times already - I'm going to run the Legacy version until v10 shows up as workable (I'm an optimist - so sue me...) or until Evernote announce an end of life for the sync process. Knowing that they have 200M users,  no reputable company could do that overnight - which I appreciate given recent events is not a guarantee,  but still - I'd expect at least a 6 month warning along the lines of an end of year deadline.

That's when I'll start working out what to do with my content.  I suspect what's on Evernote will stay on Evernote - I have 50K notes stretching back longer than 12 years (I digitised some paper files) and managing the conversion of so much history into another database would be... frustrating.  My notes will be safe in a Basic account and I'll have a local daily full backup (still using Backupery) if necessary. I can copy / export any working files I need into a new app - if and when I need them.

Of course by that stage I might have found that Evernote is working at least reasonably well for me and all I'll need to outsource will be unsupported former services.

@Stacey emailed recently that Ian Small agreed in one of his interviews this year that Evernote will continue Legacy for as long as necessary while 'power user' features are built back into the main application.  All I can do is take life as it comes - so business as usual then - and deal with crises as best I can when - and if - they occur.  

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

At least your data doesn't go away if legacy desktop disappears.  One can slog through for some period with a functionally weaker, slower app.  Though not sure what my "for some period" would be if performance doesn't improve.  IAC your data will still be there though not baked in the best of wrappers.

If there is anything at all urgent in the process it might be any local notes that you have.  Deciding what to do with those and perhaps creating a parallel system for some period may make sense.  There are a few providers with local note capability but they may be missing other key to you features.  As I've posted in other threads most of my 8200 local notes are static and contain PDFs.  I am using OneDrive/BoxCryptor/Windows Index and Search as a replacement for those local notebooks.  Encrypted on the web but searchable local.  Won't work quite as well if one has a bunch of text type local notes.  I recognize I will have to go to two places to find things which is the downside of EN removing local notebooks.

The harder bits for me are the tracking, GTD, workflow and ease of use that have been clobbered by V10.  I am not going to invest too much time on that until it becomes clear that legacy is about to get shot, or is indeed shot.  Some of the ease of use may be added back, who knows. 

Worse case if I don't make a move and 6.25.1 sunsets  I end up with a secondary search to confidential information and whatever beast V10 becomes.  My perspective is I can grind with V10 for a bit while determining what is best in market for me at that time.  YMMV.  However, I will be tracking improvements in the forums to evaluate hope and the market to evaluate alternatives.  Just taking the pulse not doing any surgery,  

Net of it all, I'm building a parallel local notebook process and using 6.25.1 until I can't or V10 miraculously (at this point the only word I can use) fixes itself. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, CalS said:

At least your data doesn't go away if legacy desktop disappears.  One can slog through for some period with a functionally weaker, slower app.  Though not sure what my "for some period" would be if performance doesn't improve.  IAC your data will still be there though not baked in the best of wrappers.

If there is anything at all urgent in the process it might be any local notes that you have.  Deciding what to do with those and perhaps creating a parallel system for some period may make sense.  There are a few providers with local note capability but they may be missing other key to you features.  As I've posted in other threads most of my 8200 local notes are static and contain PDFs.  I am using OneDrive/BoxCryptor/Windows Index and Search as a replacement for those local notebooks.  Encrypted on the web but searchable local.  Won't work quite as well if one has a bunch of text type local notes.  I recognize I will have to go to two places to find things which is the downside of EN removing local notebooks.

The harder bits for me are the tracking, GTD, workflow and ease of use that have been clobbered by V10.  I am not going to invest too much time on that until it becomes clear that legacy is about to get shot, or is indeed shot.  Some of the ease of use may be added back, who knows. 

Worse case if I don't make a move and 6.25.1 sunsets  I end up with a secondary search to confidential information and whatever beast V10 becomes.  My perspective is I can grind with V10 for a bit while determining what is best in market for me at that time.  YMMV.  However, I will be tracking improvements in the forums to evaluate hope and the market to evaluate alternatives.  Just taking the pulse not doing any surgery,  

Net of it all, I'm building a parallel local notebook process and using 6.25.1 until I can't or V10 miraculously (at this point the only word I can use) fixes itself. 

CalS, I would like to understand in what way I can continue using Legacy if they choose to disappear the desktop legacy version?  Currently, I use EN in multiple places and I count on Evernote's servers to sync all my data seamlessly so it's available no matter where I want to use it.  I use android, ipad, windows desktop and I use it at home, work and when I travel.  So, yes I understand that even if I were to disconnect my computer from the internet I could continue to use my desktop legacy EN but this is not useful for me.  

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, idoc said:

CalS, I would like to understand in what way I can continue using Legacy if they choose to disappear the desktop legacy version?  Currently, I use EN in multiple places and I count on Evernote's servers to sync all my data seamlessly so it's available no matter where I want to use it.  I use android, ipad, windows desktop and I use it at home, work and when I travel.  So, yes I understand that even if I were to disconnect my computer from the internet I could continue to use my desktop legacy EN but this is not useful for me.  

You can't.  If they disappear the legacy desktop the only option to use EN is to convert to whatever current version of the desktop .  

My point in the above is we can continue to use EN after legendary sunsets though with "whatever beast V10 becomes" as the desktop client.  We just need to protect our local notes soon.  With a local notes solution in place I do not feel as much a sense of urgency as some on these forums to make a move.  Legendary 6.25.1 is working great for me.  It's fast, requires minimal clicks, and I've tuned it to my needs. 

I will leverage that productivity of 6.25.1 as long as I can.  If forced to change and EN is not the best solution for me at that time I will move to another app.  But not until then unless a new product appears which is the cat's meow.   🙂

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Beartooth said:

Is legacy 6.25 still syncing?  I have been having difficulty lately. It has been sporadic but eventually worked.   As of 4/9/21 I can't get it to work at all.

Still working for me - no problems that I'm aware of...

(Premium user)
When the new evernote came along I started using it but found it UNUSABLE - it was just too slow.
And a whole host of other issues.

I gave feedback about a series of issues but never received any thoughtful discussion back from Evernote.

For the last ?? ~ 10 months I have been limping on with an old version of evernote, which needed to be
re-installed from time to time.

I was not asked any further questions and felt rejected. I have in the past been a Beta tester of
medical software, and found the experience useful for me and I think the company.

The only feedback from Evernote was to send a threatening letter to say I must not discuss these issues in public.

This week I could not make my old version work.
In for a penny, in for a pound I re-loaded the new version.

The web based version is U N U S A B L E
It is so slow that it is impossible
. (and other issues)

After digging around on the abysmal website
I found the official legacy version which is usable - yes I have cable which, like everywhere, has slowed
somewhat during lockdowns - but I can not work with the lag time of new Evernote when saving stuff,
especially photos and opening largish notebooks.
I should have been informed about this - but silence.

I can not believe that the new version still only allows a file directory depth of 2. This is absurd.

What on earth is going on?
I shall be off to OneNote if things continue and I am forced to use the web-based version.

Even the legacy version has some glaring holes - Ctrl + N no longer gives a new note, but
appears in the Alt+Tab picking list in windows.but can not be accessed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Beartooth said:

Is legacy 6.25 still syncing?  I have been having difficulty lately. It has been sporadic but eventually worked.   As of 4/9/21 I can't get it to work at all.

Working fine for me.  No burps at all.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Beartooth said:

Legacy is working fine for me    
Did you try rebooting  your device      
Check the activity log for errors

Forgive me guys, but I am pretty new to the Forum and I really don't know how to navigate properly through it.
By the Grace of God, somehow you got my message and you have responded.  Thank you very much. 
Evenote is such a DYNAMITE app and I don't want to lose it.  I plan on waiting for your expert advice before I bite the bullet and go over to V10.  At this point in time I am feverishly tuning up my database in prep for when Legacy ceases to exist.
I love the IOS app, but I need to sync up from the desktop. (Windows)
In response to DTLow I have rebooted and will again.  I wasn't really aware of the activity log.  It is pretty cryptic. I will keep an eye on it.

FYI:
Been using Evernote about 3-4 years.  I have about 3000 notes.  Small compared to you power users. 
About 99% of my notes are static PDF's, with 3% encrypted.  No more local notes.
Beartooth is a free account, but I also have a paid account.  I firmly believe "That you get what you pay for".

BTW:
Any recommedation on info as to how to use the Forum would be appreciated.