Restore the manual Sync function to Mac desktop

Deborahjb
Go to solution Solved by cap_n,

Idea

Why did you remove the manual sync on desktop? No more buttons and even the menu option is gone. Why on earth would you do that? It's just not automatically syncing fast enough and sometimes I want it to sync immediately so I can grab the info on my phone or vice versa.

Please BRING IT BACK.

• Like 5

14 replies to this idea

• Solution

You'll have to either access through

1) Menu or

2) Keyboard shortcuts

1) Menu

You have to press the option key, then click on Help on the menu bar.

The reload / force reload options are under Troubleshooting

see pic attached

2) Keyboard shortcuts

Press Command + R for reload

Press Shift + Command + R for forced reload

PS I fully support your orignal post. Bring back the Sync Button!

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 9.03.26 am.png

I totally agree with this. Just did some testing and the lag to update can be on the order of minutes in my testing. This means if you make a change on a device and need to leave it behind you have to wait for some undetermined length of time before its safe to leave. This sucks. Manual sync allowed that problem to be solved - click sync see it finished and be confident in closing the device.

• Like 1

This is a show-stopper to me as well. In my regular work pattern, I clip something from another app to Evernote, then annotate or modify in Evernote. Now I cannot do that as the automatic syncing takes an undefined time.

Evernote, please, this is serious.

• Level 5

Look at the EN window. Down to the right, on the window frame is a dim text saying „All changes have been saved“, sometimes briefly changing to something else. This is the syncing information.

From my experience it is not the upsync that is occasionally lagging. I observe that new content that is already on the server  does not appear on the Mac client. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes half an hour or longer.

A sync button is what I want as well - but it must enforce a sync in both directions.

• Level 5

Hold down the opt-key. Click on the help menu. Select "Problem solving" (or something like that).

You now see 2 options: Reload (cmd-R) and Force reload (shift-cmd-R). The later works more forceful than the former.

AFAIK Reload here is just another name for "Sync".

• Like 2

I'm on Mac/Monterey 12.6 w/an M1 chip. I don't see any Reload shortcuts in the menu. I even used the search function but it didn't come up.

The menu says, "Need a little help?" There is no troubleshooting. Just  a keyboard shortcuts, which I looked through. So, it seems that option isn't for everyone.

10.46.7-mac-ddl-public (3701)
Editor: v158.2.19526
Service: v1.58.7

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, Deborahjb said:

I'm on Mac/Monterey 12.6 w/an M1 chip. I don't see any Reload shortcuts in the menu. I even used the search function but it didn't come up.

The menu says, "Need a little help?" There is no troubleshooting. Just  a keyboard shortcuts, which I looked through. So, it seems that option isn't for everyone

To see the reload options you need to press Option when clicking on Help. Command+R will quickly run the reload which performs a sync to the cloud.

This does not force an onward sync to another device such as a phone. (And never has done). If you feel the need to force a sync all the way then once you've sync-ed the desktop you would need to do the same on the mobile device  via the settings menu.

By the time you've done that it may all have taken place automatically anyway.