Custom Shortcut for Open in New Window

naturale

Idea

9 replies to this idea

Yeah I agree with this, it seems like you are making it hard to work on notes in a new window instead of the main screen.

For my use case - say if search for a note, it just selects it in the main screen, a shortcut to open in new window would be very helpful rather than all the clicking (there's shortcuts for all kinds of stuff, it's weird there isn't one for this). 

Also this shortcut doesn't seem to work if you are editing the note right in the main window. It only works if you click on the note and it get the blue highlight, once you start writing in the note the blue highlight goes grey and the shortcut doesn't work.

46 minutes ago, naturale said:

New update released for assign custom shortcut is really helpful. I need a addition shortcut to open notes in new Window.

I'm not sure where you are opening the note from.

A note in the note list or in the shortcuts list opens in a new window if you double click the link. Alternatively if the focus is already on the note in the note list you can just ctrl-enter. Unfortunately in both cases you will have the note in the main window as well , so it is equivalent to single click and then three dots menu -> open in new window.

If the you want to open a note from a note link within another note you can open the link in a new window by alt-ctrl-clicking it. In this case the original note stays in the main window.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, fenway34 said:

For my use case - say if search for a note, it just selects it in the main screen, a shortcut to open in new window would be very helpful rather than all the clicking (there's shortcuts for all kinds of stuff, it's weird there isn't one for this). 

Isn't ctrl-enter a shortcut?

It is, that works! Not sure how I am supposed to know that it exists because:

• If you right click on the note you have the option to open in new window but the shortcut isn't there (although it is for some of the others), and
  • If you search the shortcuts for "open in new window," the command on the right-click menu, nothing comes up

But glad to know a shortcut exists, thanks!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, fenway34 said:

Also this shortcut doesn't seem to work if you are editing the note right in the main window. It only works if you click on the note and it get the blue highlight, once you start writing in the note the blue highlight goes grey and the shortcut doesn't work.

Correct. If you are already working in the note you will need to return the focus to the note list (ctrl-alt-\) and then hit ctrl-enter.

Revision, I just try my way and notice that when I open a note by shortcut (like ctrl+1) and it open up full in editor in the main windows, and then when I tried it ctrl+enter to open it in new windows it doesn't work. It like what fenway34 say.

33 minutes ago, naturale said:

Revision, I just try my way and notice that when I open a note by shortcut (etc ctrl+1) and it open up full in editor in the main windows, and then when I tried it ctrl+enter to open it in new windows it doesn't work. It like what fenway34 say.

For reasons that I do not understand notes opened from a shortcut open as a bigger window with no note list. The only way I know of then opening it in a new windows is to use the three dots menu at the top right of the note and choose open in new window.