BUG - sorting by Updated (when Filter applied)

sbharrell
Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Idea

I almost always have my default sort as "Updated" - to show most recently updated notes at the top of my "All Notes" list.

If I apply a filter, in this case filtering by one of my tags "Driver License", the sort results are not sorted by "Updated".  

See attached screen shot.

Also - in this same example, if I try to then click (mutliple times) on the "Updated" column heading - to try to get it to re-sort (ascending/descending) - there is no response to my click(s).  If I try to click on another column heading, like "Created" - the results do change as if the are getting re-sorted - so a response to my click does occur, but the result is not sorted correctly and the arrow that presumably is meant to show the current sort, still shows on the "Updated" columns (see 2nd screen shot - downward pointing arrow on "Updated" column heading, and "Created" column results show in this order:

Mar 24

Mar 13

Mar 22

May 6, 2019

May 6, 2019

Jun 14, 2018

May 12, 2019

May 6, 2019

2 hours ago

May 31, 2018

May 13, 2018

When I do not have a Filter applied to my List - the sort seems to work fine and the arrow seems to properly move to the sorted column and demonstraters properly (up or down) to indicate ascending or descending sort.  [i.e., if I remove the "Driver License" filter, by clicking on the "x" to remove it, so that all 'Notes' are again showing - the sort returns to my default "Updated" descending sort.  And, clicking around on the sort column headings, seems to work fine.]   [ACTUALLY - sort column headers for 'Title' 'Updated' and 'Created' seem to work when no filter is applied. But when I try to sort by Location or Tags - clicking on those column headings has no response.]

But as soon as I apply another Filter (in this case "Jobs") - see 3rd screen shot - the sort results and sort columns no longer work properly.  And, interestingly - adding a filter back - refer to the 3rd screen shot also - the current sort arrow is showing on "Created", even though, prior to filtering on "Jobs" - after removing the original "Driver License" filter, the sort had defaulted back to "Updated" descending sort that is my default.   But, after adding the "Jobs" filter - the current sort arrow went back to "Created" - a filter I had tried to select when using the prior Filter.  

Basically, sort functionality isn't working when Filters are applied.  And, whatever logic is trying to save the last sort column when a filter is applied - that logic isn't working either.

Evernote Bug 2021-03-28 - Sort Bug - Updated sort wrong when filter is applied.JPG

Evernote Bug 2021-03-28 - Sort Bug - Updated sort wrong when filter is applied - screenshot 2.JPG

Evernote Bug 2021-03-28 - Sort Bug - Updated sort wrong when filter is applied - screenshot 3.JPG

1 reply to this idea

• Solution
8 hours ago, sbharrell said:

If I apply a filter, in this case filtering by one of my tags "Driver License", the sort results are not sorted by "Updated".  

I cannot currently reproduce this. However I think I was getting this behaviour on another machine - the number of hits was correct but the most recent results were not at the top. I tried to solve it by deleting the local data and letting EN download and rebuild. That didn't work until I did a force reload (ctrl-shift-R or ctrl-click Help -> troubleshooting -> force reload) so it is possible that a force reload alone would have worked. Then everything was good again. My suggestions are to try the following in order and stop when it works!

• Check everything is OK on the web version - always the first thing you should check as it immediately identifies differences between local and server data
  • Try a force reload
  • Delete the local data base (see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004231762)
  • Try another force reload