Hey team.

Recently Evernote made some huge updates. The new app looks so clean and fresh - I'm really impressed. However, I've noticed one issue and that is the quality of sketches. When drawing, the images are crisp and clean as shown below:

Screenshot_20210327-235510_Evernote.thumb.png.4797549d0fa0a2f83af633d9de2cb68a.png

But the images get saved as low quality:

Screenshot_20210327-235520_Evernote.thumb.png.8f0e694969f9f69e52f93e2c9d243dbf.png

How can I fix this?

Evernote 10.6 on an Android S10+.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes I’m aware. But support still does nothing correct? The last few times I contacted them they couldn’t even understand what platform I was using and their solutions are always delete and reinstall. If they respond. 

Thanks, I just wanted to see if anybody had to work around or if there was some issue with the way I was opening/saving the images. I.e. user error in my part. 

I don’t have any positive experiences with support to share, and interactions with them has never lead to a solution. 

• 1 month later...

I have been in discussion with Evernote support since 1/12/22 regarding this issue on my apple devices. I’ve done all the reinstalls etc, have a new iPad and even bought a new Apple Pencil 2. No improvement. It used to work just fine too. It’s so frustrating because I can’t even edit old notes (made before this problem started) without wrecking them. They keep saying their developers are working on it but nothing has changed. 

On a positive, they gave me 3 months free subscription “while they try to fix it”. Having set that precedent, perhaps all affected users should ask for the same until it’s fixed. They can’t offer it to me and nobody else (for the same issue) and if there is a financial incentive, maybe they will finally sort it out!

If it isn’t sorted soon I’ll up sticks to OneNote or similar. 

• Level 5

Just gave it a try on iOS (sorry, no Android available).

While the Sketch drawing is open, quality is pretty high. Even zooming in there are no pixels noticeable, all curved lines are smooth. The canvas is practically infinite (OK, it has limits, but it is huge), and zooming in and out is supported for a wide range.

Once saved, this changes: The canvas is cropped to the size actually used, and the lines appear smooth to the eye, but when zooming in pixels start to show.

From what I see I think that while Sketch is in editing mode, it uses an internal model to represent what was created. This model is kept in the devices memory and does not reflect into the note itself. Once closed, the Sketch is converted into a standard file format, which in this case is a PNG. Even when better than a JPG, it still is a pixel / rasterized format that does not allow for unlimited resizing. This would be based on a vector graphic format, like a SVG.

My conclusion: The tool is called Sketch, for this use it is build, and this it does. Nobody should expect a high quality output (like a 300dpi print optimized document) from a note taking app. If they would save it with much greater detail than what is needed in the note, users would pay for it through significantly larger file sizes, eating into the monthly upload limit. It is a compromise, but IMHO for most users a viable one.