Request passcode lock timeout setting & view options

EPCHAISMZONE

Idea

Hi, please bring back passcode lock timeout setting. It's very disturbance, if it's needed to unlock/ open via fingerprint in short moments in your latest version. Aside, in view options, please bring back also "Show Note Size", it's useful to me for categorize/ modify to my existing notes based on their note's data size .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 replies to this idea

Same here! I know you're very busy sorting the important stuff, but please look to reintroduce the delayed lock function - whereby you could set a time before you'd have to pin/fingerprint unlock your note if you'd navigated away from it, ASAP. It's very frustrating having to unlock a note if I've navigated away from it only for a few seconds! I've resorted to removing the lock, which drastically reduces the security of my notes as a consequence. 

• Like 1

I use Evernote daily, and it's frustrating to have to renter the passcode just because I opened another app. Many times, I need to reference data within another app while creating/editing a note.  Maybe create a trusted device or location, or just a timeout setting that wouldn't require the passcode again within a certain time period.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

When your device is safe in itself, why do you bother to secure an app (which is not your banking app, where it may have a legal background) with an additional layer of login security ?

Just turn it off, and let the device security take care of the EN account, as it does with probably all the other apps.

It is IMHO more important to make the mobile device save in itself, like with a short auto-off / lock screen setting.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input PinkElephant; That's fair enough, and obviously securing the overall device is paramount - but what's wrong with an added layer of security on notes that you may not want someone else to see? Especially if someone else (i.e. a significant other) has access to your device and knows the pass code? That's like saying leave your front door open 'cos the gate is locked... 

Like you mentioned, banking apps/etc. have an added layer of security on top of the devices inate security, and there is already a lock function embedded in Evernote - so why not bring over the facility to delay said lock, to the new version? I'm not a software engineer (yet...) but surely it wouldn't take much tweaking to add a delay to the existing lock function? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Nothing is wrong with it - but there is an inherent conflict between security and comfort. A little bit longer is a little bit less secure, and so on. Extending the time until lockup is IMHO better placed on the device level.

If I would use the EN app protection (which I don’t) I would activate FaceID / TouchID, which is pretty secure and can’t be copied by observing my actions.

• Thanks 1

Removing the lock timeout setting was unwise. Use case:

I'm reading one of my recipes in Evernote. I switch to my shopping app to add brown sugar to my cart. Then I switch back to Evernote to see what else I need. And now I have to enter my pass code again. Rinse, repeat, unusable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

You are complaining that the passcode is doing exactly what you decided it should do: Request it once anybody tries to enter the app.

You can always decide to temporarily or permanently disable the passcode setting. You can decide to switch TouchID or FaceID on to help you get faster access.

My personal opinion is that on your personal device (phones are usually not shared) there is plain no need to set a passcode for individual apps in addition to the safeguards protecting the entire device. But maybe you can explain a use case when this indeed makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

@PinkElephant

It's not so much complaining that the passcode is doing what a passcode is intended to do - it's about having an increased level of functionality *with* added security. I can't help but feel that your second to last comment is somewhat contradictory, as you say; "A little bit longer is a little bit less secure, and so on", but what is less secure than not enabling the lock function full stop - as you prescribe? Surely, enabling the lock function but delaying it, still makes it more secure than not putting a lock on at all? 

The point of contention isn't whether or not to enable the lock on EN - some people (e.g. me) simply want an added layer of security on their notes over that which the innate device security offers - especially if they share their phone or others have access to it (believe it or not, this does happen). Maybe it is a factor of comfort - as you mentioned previously, but it's more of an issue of function > comfort for me. 

I personally use the finger print function to unlock EN, but like others have said - it's incredibly frustrating to have to fingerprint my way back into a note that I've navigated away from for 2 seconds, when this was not the case in the legacy model.

• Level 5

My opinion is if you want that security layer, then set the passcode (assisted by biometrics). Or skip it, temporarily or permanently.

If with that number of options there is a small (probably very small) percentage of users still unhappy, than that is it. You can add more bells and whistles to every function, but especially on security features keep it clean, lean and simple is IMHO the better approach.

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are complaining that the passcode is doing exactly what you decided it should do: Request it once anybody tries to enter the app.

No. The passcode is requested when I switch back to the app. The app is still running. I'm not sure how to make this any clearer.

17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

there is plain no need to set a passcode for individual apps in addition to the safeguards protecting the entire device

Sorry, but that's not your call. I don't mind if my son uses my phone to look something up, and I don't care if he accesses my email or text messages. But Evernote contains health information, diary entries, financial summaries, etc.

It's not just a matter of security to use a password. I give my daughter my phone often. I don't want her reading a lot of my notes. Some are present lists, some are regarding my dealings with her mom, some is personal journal. I don't want these things edited either. With a lock I know she won't have access to them. But it is very frustrating to have to repeatedly put the password in. I prefer a password over other potential security such as fingerprint or facial recognition. There's no need to argue if this feature is important to certain people. Accept that it is and be done with it.

• Level 5

You can set a passcode, and you can decide to supplement it with touch / face ID, depending on your devices ability.

IMHO that is all you need. Set the passcode, and if it bugs you, activate touch/face. 

Personally I doubt (EN will have better figures) that more than a tiny fraction of users is applying this at all. You are asking to create yet another level of locking up, over a feature that is only serving few people anyhow. Most are treating their phones as the personal devices they are.

There is a ton of better uses for dev capacity. You may agree to disagree, as cultivated people do.

Personal advise: It is Xmas time. Get your daughter her own phone. Problem solved …