Tag filtering when a notebook or stack is selected

FredG

Idea

When I select a notebook or a stack, I would like that the tag filter contains only the tags associated with notes in stack/folder.

I don't know if this is possible without impacting performance (the tag list would be refreshed on each notebook selection and would need to scan all notes inside this notebook...)

Objective: i don't want to see tags in the filter that does not concern the current notebook/stack

• Like 5

6 replies to this idea

40 minutes ago, FredG said:

When I select a notebook or a stack, I would like that the tag filter contains only the tags associated with notes in stack/folder.

I don't know if this is possible without impacting performance (the tag list would be refreshed on each notebook selection and would need to scan all notes inside this notebook...)

Objective: i don't want to see tags in the filter that does not concern the current notebook/stack

I agree. It has been asked for many times in this forum and is the behaviour in the legacy version.

If you use search rather than filter you do only get relevant tags. However, you never seem to get more than 6 or so tags together with the other filters you may or may not want to apply so you need to remember at least the first few characters of the tag so that it appears.

image.png.a419f3d6f87783e0c102918cba6f8430.png

18 minutes ago, mczin said:

It would be great if we could add stacks too, to the filter. 

I agree. It would seem logical to include stacks as well as notebooks in the filter menu. You can't even select multiple notebooks presumably because the filter menu only works with "AND" logic and you a note can't be in more than one notebook.

The search syntax for stacks still works:

stack:mystackname

On 3/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, FredG said:

Agreed! Not just that. I want to be able to filter that way in ANY context. For example if I seach for the tag ”Sweden” or free search for ”Sweden”, it would be really helpful to click filter and see what different tags are used for the notes in those particular seach results, for example I might discover I have tags for ”culture” and ”contacts” and can then quickly access the Sweden notes with either culture or contacs tag (or both).

It sortt of show you the sub categories within the context (context being seach results or notebooks or stacks or all notes) and allows for layered filtering where you seach one thing first, then drilling down within the context.

The old Evernote worked that way. Don’t understand why they replaced it with a solution where ALL tags are shown in the filter, even tags not used in a particular context.

• Like 2

This is crucial for people who use notebooks and tags extensively. Filtering only the tags related to a notebook makes more sense, it looks like a table of content. I like the new design and speed, but not having this feature makes search for notes cumbersome, I'm reverting back to the legacy. 

• Like 2